An extremely in depth review of the Trilogy

Aug 31, 2007
California
I'm pretty bored this evening, so I think I'll start a totally in-depth review of the Trilogy. I feel like the contents of these dvd's are so incredible I have to say something about every aspect of it. This 3 disc (disk?) set of magic, flourishes, and everything else is extremely handy. The tricks are very well taught, as well as the flourishes, and the third disc is just full of fun stuff. Well, let's go on, shall we?

Disc One: Tricks

The 13 tricks in this DVD are all done with a regular deck. No gimmicks, dupes, whatever. Purely skill. The ideas, sleights, and effects are extremely smart and should not be taken for granted. However, you’ve gotta have some prior magic skill when learning these. You want your basic sleights down and stuff. It’s a bit more on the difficult side. When learning these, I suggest perfecting one effect at a time before performing, so you can perform it well and avoid exposure...but I'm sure you already knew that.

Tivo Transpo

This trick is pretty cool. My card magic preference is transpositioning tricks, so this just got to me. It's a very smooth trick, and it just flows like water when it's perfected. The slights are wonderful and can be applied to many other effects.

Tivo 2.0*

Again, another transpositioning trick that appealed to me. This one is more visual, and that's what I like best about this effect. However, the core sleight in this trick, I think, MUST be perfected for it to look really good. It's a sort of simple method, but complex at the same time.

Subway

This effect is very chill. Visually seeing a card travel from your right hand to your left just boggles my mind just thinking about it. It teaches my favorite control, The DMB spread control. This control is very very very useful and can be applied to all sorts of tricks. Also, the card is not only traveling from one hand to the other, but it travels SPECIFICALLY in between two flipped up cards in the other hand. That is just a phenomenal idea.

Card Across

This effect is pretty fascinating. It teaches a double lift which is reallly undetectable and already I've started using it for my effects. The misdirection is fantastic-you can almost do anything with the time you've distracted your audience with. Aaron Fisher's move (I forgot the name) is a bit difficult, but once you get the hang of it, add timing and expertise and you've got a wonderful piece to perform.

Hand to Mouth

Pretty much the same effect as above, but the card goes straight to your mouth! This gets such a great reaction. It happens right in front of your audience but they don't even know it. That's the fun of this trick =)

Deja Vu

Well, when i perform some tricks, I like to have really intriguing patter. I'll talk about reading minds, eye movement, body posture, stuff like that if I'm doing mentalism. After learning this trick, I've decided to add the topic of Deja Vu to my repertoire of patter. I perform this trick as a compliment to it, and my audience is just stunned. There's a minor transposition in this effect, and i like that part of it.

Twinsplit Remix

This is one of my most favorite trick in the DVD. It's the most visual, yet short and sweet. It's on the more difficult side, but take my word for it-it is worth every minute of practice. Just the split is a fun effect to perform. Normally I'll just do that part of it, along with my patter. My patter goes something like this: You have the seven of diamonds , and the 5 of diamonds as a hand in Texas HOld em. On the river there is a 3 of clubs, 6 of clubs, and miraculously 3 aces. If you want the last ace of diamonds, here's what you do. Ditch the five of diamonds on your lap or something, and hold up the seven of diamonds. At this point I'll Perform Twinsplit remix and Show a six and ace of diamonds. Ultimately I'll win that hand.

Hofzzy Osbourne*

By far my most favorite trick in the dvd. It's hardhitting and gets fantastic reactions everytime. The sleights taught are so useful. the 4for4 switch, riffle force, and the asher twist, to name a few. Literally, my spectators are left either speechless, or frantically search the deck for some kind of dupe or gimmick. Thankfully the Buck twins have left me squeaky clean.

The Queens

This effect I perform most. one by one the queens disappear, only to reappear again in a beautiful manner. It's very visual, and smooth as butter to perform. The sleights are pretty cool once you've mastered them, and the final display is magnificent. Be sure to make this trick one of the first you learn-you'll love it.

Swiss made

One of the simpler tricks, if not the simplest. However, you can choose whether or not to use the Discrepancy Dribble Control. If you do, and master it, it can be the most convincing control out there. The core move in Swiss made is simple, yet very very smart. The clean up is a little knacky for me, but I got the hang of it. If you can, check out Jordan Lapping's video "Time Machine" On youtube. His performance is beautiful and his minor alternative to leaving the original card on top of the deck is ingenious.

Collectors

This tricks is pretty pretty cool, I must say. when you have the performance down, your audience will have absolutely no way of finding out how you did it. You end completely clean, and you have the two chosen selections in between the aces of like colors. How can you go wrong?

Hedbergs Peak

Again, a simpler trick, but easily boggles laymen and magicians alike. Once the audience thinks they know what's going on, you completely distort their thoughts and show the new ending. Very very cool indeed.

Don't get too excited it's a card trick guys. A packet trick in fact. The modified Dracula count is too appealing and even fools me sometimes. Having the 4 6's turn into the four nines is a cool, simple idea I'm sure you guys will enjoy.

This DVD is fantastic. It's worth wayyy more than the $30 you'll be spending here for it. The teaching and camera angles are great. And if that isn't enough for you guys, the OTS is very useful as well. All right, onto the flourishes.

Disc Two: Flourishes

As a "sequel," if you will, to The System, the flourishes segment of the Trilogy features a new teaching system for you guys. It also teaches in phases sometimes, making the bigger flourishes easier to learn and memorize. They show the flourishes at multiple angles, along with sentence blurbs for added support. That, along with practice, should make a flourisher even better, along with a bigger and better arsenal of flourishes. Kudos Dan and Dave, you’ve done it again.

Carnahan Fan*

My favorite fan of all time. It's lightning fast, big, and flashy, and all that jazz. Combine it with a right hand smear fan or something and you have this wonderful display of 52 cards. Very appealing. Or, if you’re feeling up for it, a full deck Carnahan is in order.

Molecule Four**

The fourth installment in the Molecule Series. Very smooth, it just flows in your hands, like the other molecules. There are three versions: Molecule_false, molecule_tokyo, and molecule_ny. Respectively they range from easiest to most difficult. In addition to being very smooth and relatively easy cuts, molecule false and Tokyo both retain the top card, and molecule ny leaves the top card third from the top. That could be useful for some sort of effect, I don't know, I’ve never tried it. I'll leave that up for your inventive minds to create.

Pandora

A favorite flourish of many, this T.C.T.C.S.A. inspired flourish features Ashford Kneitel's Tornado flourish and unpublished Crabshack, as well as Molecule Three. It's a beautiful flourish and should not go unnoticed whatsoever.

Jackson Five

Oohh boy this one's a doozy. Featuring 6 phases, this flourish is the mother of all other flourishes. The transitions are very smooth and make it that much better.... now, being as nice as I am, I guess I'll review each phase as well...or at least go over them.

-Madonna (3 I think)

Originally taught in The System, Its performance is pretty much the same, except for the display at the end. Very cool.

-Sybilism

Arguably the most difficult phase, this Sybil-esque type flourish is very flashy, and if you have the flares down, very very beautiful. I recommend re-watching the Bucks’ performances of it, as well as checking out some other peoples' to see what it generally should be like.

-The Skater Display (Joey Burton display)

I really like the transition from Sybilism to the Skater display, as it just adds a little touch of coolness or something to the flourish as a whole. Very intriguing. If you’re familiar with this display, you can do the kickflip maneuver as well. Very classy.

-Sybil

Adding a classic flourish to Jackson five adds...um...classiness, if you will, to it. It’s very nice seeing an old fashioned flourish in a new generation of flourishing. All hail Kenner =)

-Leno

Oh man, probably the coolest display I've ever seen. If you can execute it smoothly, you've got one of the hardest parts of J5 down. Congratulations. Practice makes perfect.

-Genesis

Adding some old fashioned D&D material as well closes J5. The transition from the end of Leno to Genesis is rather cool as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
California
Trilogy Review Continued

Erdnase Go Around

A minor alternation to Rev. Erdnase, taught in the System and Five, the notes makes this one handed cut very cool to look at. It's sort of a knack to do at first, but once you get the hang of it you won't wanna stop. Version two of this cut is cool as well.
It's also taught in Sleightly Magical.

Vertigo

Also taught in Five, the notes, this flourish sends a packet of cards flying in the air, only to be caught in between the top and bottom packets. Very cool. The hacky sack part of it is very cool to do once you have the motions down. Go ahead; show off to your friends, you know they'll be jealous.

Eko

A small flourish, full of "packet clearing" is smooth, quick and to the point. It's fun to do.

Mecka

As kind of a Tudor inspired mini Sybil to regular Sybil, for some reason this is one of my most favored cuts to perform. It's very flowing, as are the other cuts, and it's very fun to perform.

Akira

Such a cool flourish . It's simple, and direct. Starts off with Ashford’s Tornado, then a packet whips out, and into the deck. It's very flashy and appealing.

Tectonic Verb

I haven't started this flourish yet, but by the looks of it, it reminds me of running for some reason. But it's very cool and looks pretty sweet I must say.

All in all, the new flourishes D&D have thought up are very, very intriguing. They're mostly designed for those who have previous experience in flourishing. Once you have basic moves and flourishes down, this DVD is ideal for you.

Now, onto…

Disc Three: Everything else

This DVD is probably the funnest to watch. There's little tricks, productions, and, well, everything else I guess. The material is phenomenal. .

The Lepaul S spread

A beautiful way to spread a deck of cards. It's an add on from the original u shaped Lepaul spread, this is a wonderful way to show off your Guardians =)

Tg Deck Flip

This cool little deck flip seems pointless at first, but by reading TG Murphy's material, or Nursery rhymes vol. 2 and 3, you can see really how useful this little move is. I'll go a bit more into this in "Molecule Revisited."

Hugh Scott Shuffle*

Imagine this: Taking a deck of cards, reversing gravity and doing a riffle shuffle and waterfall square up. This is what it would look like. I do it just to show off =)

360 deck spin

Pretty much just an add on to the all around square up. It's a subtle thing that is just cool.

Under pressure

A beautiful way to display a deck of cards. The cards move as if they're automated.

Heap snatch

A nifty false table shuffle. Good for effects that use a table, I guess.

Black jack production

Probably the most ingenious production I have ever seen. You clearly shuffle the deck, produce the aces, then jacks. Unbelievable. In my opinion it's worth the whole value of this DVD.

Shuffled Aces

A simple, yet very impressive ace production. Shuffle the cards and split the deck in two, displaying the four aces. As if you’ve magically cut straight to all four aces. A simple yet brilliant method.

The Forte Flourish

I wouldn’t really call this a flourish as much as a trick. You spread the cards, pick up the spread upright, and knock them all over except for the spectator’s chosen card, which is straight up. Nifty.

Click Change*

The Bucks’ variation on Ed Marlo’s Snap Change, which is in one hand, and is a bit more angle proof. Not too original but very easy.

Jones Change***

A very flowing color change. Show one card in one hand, then, simply enough, show another. Even though it’s not taught right, I’m sure you’ll get the idea.

Spin Center Double

Just a flourishy double lift. Nothing too special, just something you could use to spice up an ACR routine or some other trick. Also sets you up for the awesome color change that might be released soon =)

Real Time*

A very, very cool Ace production. It’s like they come out of no where! Definitely something you should start to use immediately.

Molecule Revisited

A bunch of ways to take advantage of the molecule 2 cut from the Dan and Dave System DVD.
The first one is a Molecule four card production. Cut the deck multiple times, and do molecule 2, and have the aces come out from seemingly no where. It’s an ingenious idea.

The second is a Molecule one card production. This one uses the T.G. deck flip to have a card produced lightning fast, sticking face up in the middle of the deck. By far my favorite production ever.

The third just a simple molecule influenced double lift. Also something to add to your magic arsenal of sleights.

The last is the molecule spring production. You spring the cards into the middle of the deck and have the spectator’s chosen card to be the only face up card sticking out in the middle of the deck. Also very, very cool.

Finger Exercises

Just five finger exercises to use to warm up your fingers for a hardcore session of flourishing. I personally don’t do these too often, as I have a Grip Master =)

Flourishes 101

20 Classic flourishes explained for your learning pleasure. I feel like going over them.

The Thumb fan

A classic thumb fan you can use to have a spectator select a card or something.

Pressure Fan

A crazy nice fan you do to display pretty much the whole deck very beautifully.

Lepaul Spread

A u shaped fan very nicely executed. From here you can do the Lepaul S spread.

Charlier cut

Your basic one-handed cut. Good for beginners.

Hot Shot cut

A super cool cut that has the bottom card shot out from the deck into your right hand. I guess you could use this as a production.

One hand shuffle

A cool way to faro a deck of cards using one hand. Very impressive.

One handed table faro

Pretty much self explanatory. Using one hand, faro the cards on a table. Now writing that sentence was pointless….so was that one.

Ribbon Spread

Your basic table spread to display the cards.

Card Spring

A fun way to play with your cards. Just spring ‘em from one hand to the other.

Dribble

Again, self explanatory. Dribble the cards.

Revolution Cut

A slightly more complicated one handed cut, but once you have it down it’ll be as ordinary to you as a charlier.

T.G. Deck Flip

I’m not sure why that’s in here, as it’s explained in detail already. I guess if you need more angles then here it is.

Sybil

The classic 4-5 packet cut that was created by the man himself, Chris Kenner.

The Ripper

A nifty trick that goes like this: show a “double-backer,” and then split it into two, then four jacks. Pretty cool.

Table Faro Shuffle

Your classic two hand table faro, and forte bridge.

Simple Switch

A cool way to quickly spring two cards from each hand.

Pirouette

Known by other names, this is a cool way to spin a card on your finger. Could be used for certain gaff card effects.

Back palm

A cool way to vanish a card, produce a card, or both.

Waterfall

A bit more advanced way to dribble the cards.

Under Pressure

Again, it’s taught in the DVD with detail, but if you want more angles, here you go.

All in this entire DVD is really cool. It’s got your basic sleights to your advanced color changes and productions and whatnot. Good for all levels of magic, or flourishing.

In summary, the Trilogy is a great buy. I highly recommend it to advanced magicians and flourishers alike, and maybe to beginners who are interested in the Flourishes 101 segment. Thank you so much for reading my review.

Regards,
remy

P.S. If you see any errors, please inform me. Thank you.

Edit:

*You may find these individually for 5 bucks a pop at the 1on1 section to preview the dvd's content.
**You may find version one of Molecule 4 in the 1on1 section.
***Taught for free in the media section. Go on freeloaders, watch it! If you like what you see, buy the whole friggin dvd man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
What exactly do you mean when you say that the Jones Change is not taught right? Do they just do a bad job or something, or do they teach something else?

The Jones Change involves two cards, obviously. At some point there's a switch during all the spins and pivots - and they teach it, but grabbing the wrong card when the switch is supposed to be made - thus the card not transforming if performed as they teach it. It's only a minor thing - plus it'll be made as a free, public tutorial soon anyway.

Gotta love the move, though.

Sep 1, 2007
great review

i actually have this set just sitting in my house unopened because i have to wait for christmas. IT'S KILLING ME...i cant wait

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Fantastic review!!! (read it during class.....now I have to revisit the prof's lecture notes....THANKS :p)

Was sitting on the fence re: the Trilogy...but now I'm definitely picking up a copy soon. I never knew where to find a list of what's included on the dvd's, and thanks to you, now I know.

:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results