Anaesthesia

The human pin cushion has been around for ages, so this certainly isn't anything new. That being said it certainly doesn't make it any easier to watch someone else do it. X.x

The video, for what it is, is good. I like the premise but I get very nervous about doing something like pin cushion on other people. In this day and age there is just way to much that could go wrong and land you in legal hell if you know what I mean.

Other than that good job man, you had me watching through the cracks in my fingers.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Not a bad performance, but please be very careful doing this because as Draven said, now days people will sue you at the drop of a hat if they get the chance. Performers insurance is a must for those of us who work quite a bit and are using spectators for various effects. Even then, I probably would never be doing this to other spectators.

Let's say this guy who you performed this on, claims that two weeks later he is having pain or weird burning sensations in his hand (hypothetically) I guarantee you the doctor and any one else is going to throw you under the bus even if if you claim you did everything correctly.

Thank you for sharing the video. I enjoyed watching it though and I wish you luck in your future.

I thought about not posting this reply for probably a good part of this afternoon. I mean on one hand you're obviously a talented performer so you should know the risks and dangers of doing something invasive as this but on the other hand I've just gone through a personal experience that kind of relates to this subject and I would be remissed should something happen to you and I not offered my insight as a cautionary word of wisdom.

With having said that I eventually decided to share the following with you. Please understand that what you are about to see may be disturbing. Parental discretion is advised.

In my act I allow people to come up at the end and staple money to my chest using an industrial strength staple gun loaded with either 6mm to 8mm wood staples. I've performed this stunt safely for well over five years, and I've made more than my fair share of cash in tips doing it. I'm psychotic about my health, and always take the time to sterilize the staples before and after the show, as well as clean my wounds afterwords. Antibiotic ointment, alcohol swabs, and band-aids are just as much a part of my show kit as any other magical prop or gimmick. You always tell yourself that "nothing bad is going to happen to me because I'm safe. I know what I'm doing." Right? Well all it takes is that one time for something to go wrong and everything goes to hell in a moments notice.

The following images are from the above described act. The first one gives you an idea of what it looks like when I do it.

After having performed this stunt hundreds of times I did a show at the end of November in which I took a staple to my right nipple. The entrance wounds were just above the nipple on the outer side of the areola. Two weeks later I noticed a small lump, and increased redness. The redness got much worse resulting in an abscess infection that required 3 weeks of 500mg Cephalexin 4 times a day, plus a further injection and incision to completely drain the abscess. Almost 4 weeks after the originating incident I'm still under doctors orders to not perform this stunt until the healing process has completely finished. Even then she'd be happy if I just never did this stunt again but that's another story.

What does that have to do with you? Well Rick pretty much said it. If you use a dirty needle on someone, or hell if it's clean but some bacteria finds its way into the wound and all of a sudden they get an infection you're done.

Just be careful man. This stuff is where the lines between safe and stupid get blurred.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wowsers Draven. That is a prime example and thank you for sharing that on here with him. Glad you are getting better too.

Hey Draven, thanks for the input and advice, your story made me cringe a little bit. Sorry about your incident. On the bright side, I've done this demonstration about 5 months ago, or more, and no comebacks so, I'm all good. I don't think I'll be repeating this with a volunteer again. But I like the idea of doing it to someone else, maybe I'll use an assistant next time ( My sister lol) . But then again, she does Dan Hauss's through and through. Anyway are there any forms a spectator can sign ? so I am not held liable for any injuries? . It may be very theatrical too. Anyway, I won't be repeating this any time soon.

And by the way, your staple gun stunt sounds "AWESOME", and looks quite fun too :).
I know we can never be too safe, and maybe I am stupid, but we do need to cross some boundaries sometime's, I think that our art, even though it may seem dangerous , is lacking that "edge". The limitless factor sometimes. We'll I will not put anyone in harms way, besides myself in the future. But In the next few weeks, I will still attempt to push the boundaries, maybe step on some peoples toes. lol, something like using an adult magazine for a magazine test, I think that may be slightly overboard, but something along those lines.

And Rick , thank you for your advice too :), I think it's something to think about on my part, we're always learning right?

Thank you everyone... See you on the flip side

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
In the US a liability waver would probably not be enough to avoid the courtroom. Regardless, all it takes is one incident and you get a reputation as the guy who gave his audience Tetnus or Staph. That kind of thing could travel fast and sick hard. It is not worth it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results