Angle Z handling question.

Sep 1, 2017
I should really watch the dvd again before making a thread, and I most likely will after, but I was curious what other magicians that preform Angle Z have to say about people telling them to put the corner back on.

I haven't preformed Angle Z MUCH, but I have a handful of times, and around 90% of the time the spectator tells me to restore the corner.

I vaguely recall Daniel Madison telling a story about a magician that would carry around a glue stick for comedic effect, or slip the glue stick into someone's bag or pocket.

I'm just curious what wisdom other magicians can impart upon me about what they personally say, or if there's some slight I can learn to replace the card with a duplicate or anything along those lines. It would just be good information to have, at the moment I just jokingly claim I'm not a miracle worker, which I belive was something Daniel Madison also said on the dvd. ♤

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I don't perform Angle Z personally - but if someone asked me to put the corner back on I would wonder what part of my presentation failed to let them know the teleportation of the corner was the climax.

Reactions: Sendmindsacrosseons
Jan 2, 2016
California
My advice is to make the corner teleport somewhere truly impossible. Inside something locked, behind a window, in their pocket, under their watch, etc.

As @ChristopherT said, make the teleportation a true climax of the trick.

When I make it "teleport" somewhere close by, people will go "oh I thought you'd put the piece back on".
But if you can put it somewhere impossible (I saw one person who had the idea of having the torn piece appear inside another card), then the vanish and reappearance becomes the trick. Even then, I've still had people jokingly ask "Now can you put it back on?".

Or like DM said, make it a joke and tape/glue it back together right in front of their face, or make the joke he suggested.

Although what could also work is do Angle Z, make the joke where you tape it back, and then say "You actually want to see me fix a ripped card don't you?" and then do one where the card is signed and can be torn into quarters before being restored.

Idk something like that. I don't do any TnRs or even Angle Z that often as I don't like to destroy cards.

Reactions: Sendmindsacrosseons

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
You just have to make sure you're not letting the card have the emphasis. I had a thought that I might even crumple the card and toss it over my shoulder, with a line like, "It's not about this card ... it's about ... that .... corner. There."

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Madison always says that the teleportation should be the climax of the trick. Also, a subtle "you can keep that corner" is probably great (unless you want to take it back).

Alternatively, you can maybe try and work with a variation on the principle from Blake Vogt's REF4M, though I have not tried it yet.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results