Annoying "POP" thing in your cards...

Nov 27, 2010
Messing up on a stage act......

Hey guys,

I just had a stage performance the other day for my high school. I did good however, my vanishing cane decided not to close......all the way. I was so embarrassed when it happened. I was doing so well. I did my card manipulation routine, rope through neck, the mouth coil, 3 appearing canes, and I was almost done. I confidently picked up my vanishing cane as the music played in the background but it failed. I felt bad but I still did my closing trick snowstorm successfully.

I felt horrible, but almost everybody voted my magic as the best event of the whole talent show. They loved me even though i messed up. I was being approached by so many people complementing me.When I asked people like 50 % said the magic was perfect and they saw no mistakes, the rest told me how they seen the effect fail. How is this? has anybody ever messed up a trick on a stage performance...how did it go?

Last edited by a moderator:

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
I don't like this either, it seems to happen when the cards change temperature too quickly among other things. I put the deck under 4 or 5 textbooks overnight and they're fine the next day. Putting them in a freezer also works, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Dan
Sorry, posted on the wrong thread :p

In response to this thread, I think it's safe to say that everyone has messed up during a performance sometime or another, but as long as you don't let it affect you and move to another trick the audience wont linger on the mistake. I think you handled it the right way and had a good show overall.
Dan

Jan 22, 2012
I messed up on Dresscode very badly one time at a talent and I did not realize until I actually saw footage of the performance there was a huge flash of the shirt on my side. I didn't realize it was that bad because nobody said that they saw anything. So I think audience members don't linger on the mistake unless they're hecklers.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
The audience has NO CLUE what you are supposed to be doing (unless they have seen it before). Only we know what can go wrong and have a tendency to beat ourselves up over it. I have had people come up telling me they enjoyed a show I hated. At which I point I tend to think "What show were they watching?"

Regardless, smile, say thank you and NEVER tell them they are wrong. Let them think you are good and just blow them away the next time. It's good to be hard on yourself, but keep it in perspective.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Regardless, smile, say thank you and NEVER tell them they are wrong. Let them think you are good and just blow them away the next time. It's good to be hard on yourself, but keep it in perspective.

Sometimes the most powerful moments happen by complete accident, and without you knowing they happened. As a performer you have a VERY different perspective from your spectator. Bizzaro hit this one right on the head. Keep positive, and keep going. You only fail when you simply call it quits.

// L

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results