Another Idea...

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
VERY nice. It sucks that it's on video and I can rewind it 4-5 times until I see what you did there :), but it wasn't immediate.

SIX

Sep 11, 2007
NYC
Glad you guys are enjoying it Please keep comments coming,

SIX

Awi, all my buddys have seen the dvd and havent said anything so its probally not similiar to that. When sessioning with Josh Jay he did mention that Troy Hooser has something similiar, but mine is better in my opinion, well atleast for magicians.

well i could be wrong because this move was shown to me by a friend who was all ga ga over the ben earl dvds .... will check with him and let you know.

you know how these things are a lot of independent discoveries of the same basic concepts.

good luck wit the pamphlet though :D

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Troy Hooser's move is called Slipstream and is referenced in Ben Earl's Past Midnight Disc 1 in context of the Streamlined Control.

Indeed this does look very similar if you're going to publish it as your own, it's probably best to get checking with your friends that own Past Midnight and look up the Streamlined Control bit just to be sure. :)

I don't know what kind of action you're using to initiate the control but the grip looks a little similar to that of Earnest Earick's handling of the convincing control. You can find that in his book By Forces Unseen.

It does look real good though, convincing which is obviously the main point :p But yeah, if you're going to publish it, make sure you've got all the proper background on it - you know what people are like these days, they'll lynch ya' :p

- Sean

SIX

Sep 11, 2007
NYC
Im not to worried, before publishing I will have all the credits for everything. My friends on thesecondeal will help me with all that good stuff.

I will check tonight, thanks!

SIX

Glad you guys are enjoying it Please keep comments coming,

SIX

Awi, all my buddys have seen the dvd and havent said anything so its probally not similiar to that. When sessioning with Josh Jay he did mention that Troy Hooser has something similiar, but mine is better in my opinion, well atleast for magicians.

How the hell did you get to session with Joshua Jay?!

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Six,

You have some interesting idea. Your piece brings up an interesting concepts - I would love to talk deeper about them, but it would come out more like an essay than a forum post.

So to focus on the move - I have seen this, or similar idea to it, used in Lee Asher's Pulp Friction, Gregory Wilson's Back Stage Pass and other variation that use this "add on" from the "method", (which I won't name to avoid exposure). It's a good idea, but I hope you don't mind if we look at it critically Six?

What is the context of the control? In other words - what is the reality you want the audience to believe? You put the card outjogged in the middle, pull small packes off - then use the top card to tap it in...then bury that top card? So you want me to believe that you used the top card to keep it away from sleight of hand? Fine - I find the cutting of small packets motion a bit jarring, but the method still good. My advice for this technique - I think it's best used to control it to second, and not the top - as burying that top card is a subliminal tell...actually, I liked it until you bury that card.

Another idea - with a table - you could just drop that card on the table after you used it to tap in the selection...then use the "top card" to scoop up that tabled card as an after thought. This would create the motivation to bury the card at least. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for sharing Six....oh, also, you must LOVE the band Finger 11.

Peace,
Morgan

Mar 29, 2008
Hi Six,

You have some interesting idea. Your piece brings up an interesting concepts - I would love to talk deeper about them, but it would come out more like an essay than a forum post.

So to focus on the move - I have seen this, or similar idea to it, used in Lee Asher's Pulp Friction, Gregory Wilson's Back Stage Pass and other variation that use this "add on" from the "method", (which I won't name to avoid exposure). It's a good idea, but I hope you don't mind if we look at it critically Six?

What is the context of the control? In other words - what is the reality you want the audience to believe? You put the card outjogged in the middle, pull small packes off - then use the top card to tap it in...then bury that top card? So you want me to believe that you used the top card to keep it away from sleight of hand? Fine - I find the cutting of small packets motion a bit jarring, but the method still good. My advice for this technique - I think it's best used to control it to second, and not the top - as burying that top card is a subliminal tell...actually, I liked it until you bury that card.
Hope you consider the small handling change - I figure you may already do it, but as I only have the Youtube sampe to go on...

Thanks for sharing Six....oh, also, you must LOVE the band Finger 11.

Peace,
Morgan

SIX

Sep 11, 2007
NYC
Ive been fortunate enough to session with Joshua when he first moved to NY. It was fun and he even published one of my effects in the November issue of MAGIC. I guess you can say Im fortunate having close friends like Eric DeCamps and Doug Edwards. Not trying to name drop in anyway, but these are the guys that I get to talk tpo on a constant basis, even Simon Lovell is around when I need his opinion. lol

Morgan,

Thanks for the feedback, the move itself was created for magicians in mind. It can be performed for laymen but then what is the point considering its way to much work when the tilt is just as if not more effective. Its one of my session peices.

Your thoughts on the pulling aprt makes sense but for me, during a regular spread I would break the cards in chunks to show that I cant control anything in that position. So its natural for me. Also, the top card ditch was used just as that , a ditch. It is not necassary. You can exacute the move and then at a later time just simply show its not on top or the bottom and ditch it then.

Thanks for the feedback,

SIX

Aug 31, 2007
California
My advice for this technique - I think it's best used to control it to second, and not the top - as burying that top card is a subliminal tell...actually, I liked it until you bury that card.

Peace,
Morgan

I was thinking the exact same thing.

It does not make much sense to take the card from the top to place the other card into the middle, than place that card from the top into the middle.

Heh.

You could push in the middle card with the fingers (natural), do a double lift (looks natural to them... the card just rose from the middle to the top), than do a move that I cannot remember the name of... Hm. It looks as if you rub the back of the card and it switches them... If anyone can give me the name, thank you.... maybe I will remember.

Keenan

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
yep thats what i thought too
instead of burning the top card why not double lift and km
or go into acr

Sep 4, 2007
well the whole point was a control. In real world performance he does not show the card to be immediately on top, he only uses it as a control.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results