Another Tuesday, Another Essay.

Nov 20, 2013
I just wrote my second essay on why magicians should perform there sleight of hand magic tricks.

Read it over at stakeshow.weebly.com.

Spread this information to your non-magician buddies so they can join in on the fun too! And you can learn from them later on down the road.

I already recruited one magician from this train of thought.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
I just read your second essay and wanted to say that weekly writing projects are a great thing to get into but if you are serious about trying to build a reading audience you really, really need to proof read your articles.

You negate any authority you may have on the subjects that you are writing about when you fill your posts with poor grammar and punctuation. It is important to remember that your spell check catches but not incorrect word usage but readers will and you will lose them quickly through poor quality even if the ideas are good.

It appears that it is important to you that others read what you have to say (as opposed to just journaling for your own sake) but to achieve that goal you need to work on the presentation. Read through everything before you hit the post button and rework sentence that don't read well, make sure you are using the right words (your vs you're or their vs there). If you have someone else that can give things a proof read it's even better. A fresh set of eyes will catch things you as the writer won't.

The Oatmeal has some really funny but useful comics about grammar that you could even print out and put up as a reminder.

Please don't take this as anything other than some constructive criticism. Keep writing but think of it was you would a magic routine that you are working on. Don't put it out to the world until it is polished and ready for you audience.

Nov 20, 2013
Hey Colin, at first I must admit, I was slightly angry to be called out on my lack of presentation. To be honest I thought you were nitpicking.. Then I looked back at what I wrote. And I want to thank you for your input. When I was reading back again I was thinking "What?! I didn't write that word like that!".

Truth be told, I use a word document that does "autofill" and now I know I must read more carefully and learn how to turn it off (If I can).

My favorite was.. "Magician's" (God how annoying).

Thanks for the lookout!

If you need anything, just say so. I hope I can return the favor.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results