Any Magic-Related Goals for the Summer?

May 31, 2008
For us young whippersnappers (and no, it did not get underlined by my spell checker) who are on summer vacation (and even those who aren't) Do you have any goals for the summer. (magic-related)

Here are mine:

Master the classic pass
Get my first paid gig
Win an SNC
Make a ten-minute-long street magic video

I'm looking forward to hearing your goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
For us young whippersnappers (and no, it did not get underlined by my spell checker) who are on summer vacation (and even those who aren't) Do you have any goals for the summer. (magic-related)

Here are mine:

Master the classic pass
Get my first paid gig
Get 1,000 posts on the Theory11 forums
Win an SNC

1. Not going to happen. You might get better at the pass, but never master it.
2. Post count is not important. Calm down. It's been 5 days since you got back and already have over 200 more posts in that period. Maybe make more useful posts.

Me, I have no set goals, I just wait and see what comes up.

May 31, 2008
1. Not going to happen. You might get better at the pass, but never master it.

Yeah, well I don't mean master it, I just mean get really good at it.

Also, I've taken down the post count one. Stupid goal. I try to make good posts, but many of them are quite pointless. (Mainly ones after SNCs and ones replying to BAWI posts.)

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Im obsessed with Lennart Green's work, I have been spending the last months trying to get his sleights down... I would also like to be half the performer that he is.

May 31, 2008
I will admit, I've watched the green magic DVDs more than any normal person should. His work is great.

Lenart Green is pretty great. He's just so casual. I remember watching a clip of him on Youtube, where he's just dusting off a glass and all the sudden there's Cola in it.

My only problem with him (other than that I'm not Swedish and I have trouble understanding him at times) is that he can be sort of sloppy. He's still a great magician though.

Dec 30, 2008
Master the classic pass
Get my first paid gig
Win an SNC

Mine are about the same but I want to make more than one street magic video.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
That's his character...

Actually yes.... In my opinion he is one of the best sleight-of-hand artist out there, he can second deal, center deal, bottom deal perfectly and the sleights that he has created are far superior to sleights like the clipshift or sleights like that....

Besides, I feel like a little boy everytime that I watch him perform, and I must admit, being able to do (for example) a top shot after months of practice and amase an audience...I mean, its worth the whole practice.... im still getting the snap deal down.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Lenart Green is pretty great. He's just so casual. I remember watching a clip of him on Youtube, where he's just dusting off a glass and all the sudden there's Cola in it.

My only problem with him (other than that I'm not Swedish and I have trouble understanding him at times) is that he can be sort of sloppy. He's still a great magician though.

it's beer.
Him being sloppy is one of my favourite parts of his character. It makes everything seem even more impossible.

May 31, 2008
it's beer.
Him being sloppy is one of my favourite parts of his character. It makes everything seem even more impossible.

Most of the time it's acting, but sometimes (and very rarely) you can see he is having some trouble. It doesn't happen often though. I think I saw maybe once or twice in some clips.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well I plan on advancing my shomanship/presentation skills to get a deeper emotional connection with my spectators. Work on my slights, including one hand palm, diagonal palm shift,side steal, variation second and bottom dealing, variation palms with my non dominate hand (left hand), create story an plots for my effects etc. Also I am lookin forward to creating new effects that push the boundaries of how one thinks, get more gigs, make new friends, an overall have a good time. :)

Jul 19, 2009
my are
1. get my classic pass smoother
2. be able to do the clipshift not evan smoothly jus beging able to do it with out my other hand lol
3. work on my showmanship.
4. perform for someone i dont know sooo nervouse any tips

Jul 26, 2009
Canada
I am trying to make a street magic video, and also I'm trying to learn as many new tricks as possible.
That's about it.
Speaking of street magic, today an old lady gave me and my friends the finger when we asked if she wanted to see a magic trick!

Jul 14, 2008
I posted a same thread about three weeks ago, but I just figured to post in here.

I would like to take some time to finish reading the Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher, Card Controls by Arthur Buckley, Expert Card Techniques, Royal Road to Card Magic and Expert at Card Table as well.

Some of the sleights I would like to work on are:
-Half Gravity Pass
-Outjogged Herman Pass
-Pinky Count
-Rifle Stacking
-One Handed Pop Out
-Clip Shift (trying to make silent and angle proof if possible)
-Palming Techniques
-And others more as well

Cardistry
-Jackson 5
-Pandora
-What the Hell Happened to Sybil Series
-Erdnase Go Around

I would also like to work on the presentations more on my routine as well.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Some of the sleights I would like to work on are:
-Half Gravity Pass
-Outjogged Herman Pass
-Pinky Count
-Rifle Stacking
-One Handed Pop Out
-Clip Shift (trying to make silent and angle proof if possible)
-Palming Techniques
-And others more as well

Cardistry
-Jackson 5
-Pandora
-What the Hell Happened to Sybil Series
-Erdnase Go Around

I would also like to work on the presentations more on my routine as well.

*The gravity half pass alone will take you the whole summer to get down, but it's totally worth it, believe me ;).

*The mechanics of the outjogged herman pass are somewhat easy, the problem is to actually make it look smooth in one fluid motion.

*About the clipshift....well you know my opinon ;)

As your username says, I am sure that you love good sleights and the reward that it is to accomplish the sleight after months of hard work, but before you start practicing a "hard sleight" take in consideration if you are practicing it because it will actually go into your arsenal of sleights for future performances or if you just are practicing it because you can have braggin rights about it ;).

*About palming, I have been playing with palming for a couple of months now, and In live performances I doscovered that the catched me not because of my sleight to actually get the card in palm position, they catched me because my hand was very akward and I wasnt doing the palm in the off beat.

instead of practicing palming techniques ( of course they are also necessary) practice in front of the mirror how the card looks in your hand palmed, if you have clips of yourself performing for real audiences, watch how you make poses with oyur body without a card palmed and then try to recreat those postures with the card palmed in your hand.

Another note, look for ways to blend or justify your two hands grabbing the deck toguether, remember we do not normally grab the deck with two hands, so if you just take your two hands and palm the card right away, they will catch you for sure.

On a final note on palming, the best top palm that I recommend is definetly Dai Vernon's "topping the deck" you palm the top card under the action of raising the deck to your finger tips.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results