Anybody else dislike gimmicks?

I don't know why, but ever sinse I started magic, I have hated gimmicks and never use them. Don't get me wrong, I fully respect magicians who use them and some of them are just ingenious. But I have a friend who uses nothing but gimmicked cards (svengali, Invisible) and I always stick to normal cards. But we are at a school and he made me look second best (until I realised he had no presentation). But anyway, anybody agree? Feel free to criticize the hell out of me too.

Dec 8, 2007
Gimmicks

I hate them too.

I mean, gimmicks are like selfworking. You have to practice impromptu magic.

Stick to the magic you like best. =)

Dec 5, 2007
I would say its sometimes alot harder to work with gimmickes becaus you have bring them into play, keep them out of seight and then ditch them.

I can see what you're saying fridoliina, but I still see them as 'false reputation makers' if you will. While most T11 tricks are gimmicked, I got the Trilogy and love it, and are now getting Control. I also love the 1 on 1 section. :)

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Gimmicks are great.. when use sparingly.

I think you hate them because you prefer the self-satisfaction that you did all the work.. which is fine, but you should also satisfy your audience and if gimmicks can do that, well, I'm all for them.

I guess you're right Jakeh, you know, the first deck I got when I started magic, before a normal deck, was a pack of Svengalis. On the wrapper which was attached to the box, it said 'Requires no skill!' From that point on I hated it and every other gimmick. But this isn't therapy, so I guess they are good used sparingly, but I feel uncomfortable using them anyway.

Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
Gimmicks are one of the closest things anyone can get to REAL magic. So powerful, although sometimes it is a bit of a drag to carry them around. I prefer just a regular deck of cards or coins.

This is why I love flourishes, actually takes skill. :)

But I think the audience can tell when a gimmick is being used. Everytime I use a gimmick they ask to see the deck, but that has never happened doing card in hand or stigmata. Just thought it deserved a mention

Mar 24, 2008
It deppends on the Gimmick. I blow people away with my Electric Touch and I will fool most people on this forum with my svengali deck. Its all in your presentation and how you use the tools you have on you.

-Altrez

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I guess you're right Jakeh, you know, the first deck I got when I started magic, before a normal deck, was a pack of Svengalis. On the wrapper which was attached to the box, it said 'Requires no skill!' From that point on I hated it and every other gimmick. But this isn't therapy, so I guess they are good used sparingly, but I feel uncomfortable using them anyway.

Haha, this made me laugh. :p It's like you were scarred for life! :p

Just a question.. do you hate double backed cards and the like?

When I think about this it really depends. I tend not to use gimmicks as much but some times if used corretly with a good presentation they can be just as powerful as a sleight of hanbd trick..

I personally like the svengali or miragedeck as well as the invisible deck. These can be used to perform amazing feats. However, I do enjoy practing sleight of hand because this means that I should need a setup and I can do it anytime anywhere with a normal pack of cards.

So there are different points of view for me. Gimmicks can be fun sometimes but other times they can be a pain.

Sep 17, 2007
There are things you can do with gimmicks that simply cannot be accomplished with sleight of hand. I noticed a lot of you guys are referring to ID and Svengali decks. Those are extreme examples. There is a huge "in between" area there. There are plenty of tricks which use normal cards and one or two gaffs which still require skill.

A lot of times I'll slip a DB or a DF in my normal pack. With just one gaffed card and a normal deck, you can perform miracles. And ditching one card is pretty darn easy. I also have a lot of routines in which I openly ring in and out a gaffed card which i carry in my pocket. This is all motivated in the routine.

I do understand if you are not a pro and do magic for mostly friends and family, you might not like gaffed cards as friends and family are the toughest audiences and usually want to examine the deck. I mean, let's face it, they know you well. You're not much of a mystery to them and they want to bust you :) So I suppose in those situations, gaffs might be tricky. Unless it's a trick in which the gaff is exposed at the end like Anniversary Waltz.

But if you are going to go pro, don't knock certain gaffs. Like I said before, used properly, gaffs can take your magic to the next level for a lay person. Gaffs can make certain effects look incredibly clean in ways that pure sleight of hand can't. Sleights are great but a move is a move and they need to be used sparingly. Magic should look effortless, not like you have to work at it.

IMHO, at least.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I do understand if you are not a pro and do magic for mostly friends and family, you might not like gaffed cards as friends and family are the toughest audiences and usually want to examine the deck. I mean, let's face it, they know you well. You're not much of a mystery to them and they want to bust you :)

That's not the case for me.. my family get upset when I stuff up.

Dec 23, 2007
I actually like gimmicks.. but i only use them when the moments right.. I like to "take them down the path" with some impromtu, and then maby bring out the gimmicks. ;)

Nov 10, 2007
I hate gimmicks to

I dis like gimmicks because You have to bring them into play and also takes space from your pocket. I think gimmicks just make you lazy because you barely have to practice for them i am not trying to say anything bad for you gimmick users but people who do impromtu magic definately work much more harder i think.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I dis like gimmicks because You have to bring them into play and also takes space from your pocket. I think gimmicks just make you lazy because you barely have to practice for them i am not trying to say anything bad for you gimmick users but people who do impromtu magic definately work much more harder i think.

I beg to differ. You have to practice a lot if you want gimmicks to go undetected.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I think that if you want to create a good magic effect, you have to use the best method possible. If gimmick does job better than "pure" sleight of hand, why not?

And as already pointed out, gimmicks aren't easy way to be good magician. You still have to structure your routines, and gimmicks themselves arise many problems. How to bring it into play? How to ditch it? When? And often gimmicks require sleight of hand. I've used Okito Coin box, and there are pretty tough moves with it.

Gimmicks aren't easy way to do magic. They only add options.

Oct 24, 2007
I don't do any gimmicked tricks. I just do all impromptu card magic. Hand me a deck of cards, and I'll present a miracle.

Tyler

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results