Anybody else skeptical?

Jaz

Sep 1, 2007
Yo,

First things first, I mean no disrespect to the owners of the site, but I feel I need to voice my anxiety. Since the first moment I caught wind of "theory 11" and saw the first "teaser" I was struck with doubt. I am not a fan of viral marketing, especially in magic. I'm pretty sure that's what the trailer's can be classed as.

I feel this "style" that the site has taken, will atract the wrong type of people. By that I dont mean laymen. Something much worse than a lay person. The type of "Magicians" that bought allot of there material from E, only to expose it on Youtube the the day after receiving it. I dont want to make sweeping statments here - but this is just my opinion taken from past experiance.

Face it, this place look a hell of a lot like Ellusionist. i have a real problem with those guys. I dont like there buisness or there ethics and they have done allot to damage not just the magic community but certain magicians reputations.

Anyway,

One thing that has made me feel a hell of a lot better is the people involved in the site - namely Chris Kenner. Mr Kenner has had my admiration for a few years now, and Im pretty sure he wouldent attach his name to just any old thing. I hope for his sake and the other Magi involved that the owners motivations are honerouble.

Peace.

Yo,

First things first, I mean no disrespect to the owners of the site, but I feel I need to voice my anxiety. Since the first moment I caught wind of "theory 11" and saw the first "teaser" I was struck with doubt. I am not a fan of viral marketing, especially in magic. I'm pretty sure that's what the trailer's can be classed as.

I feel this "style" that the site has taken, will atract the wrong type of people. By that I dont mean laymen. Something much worse than a lay person. The type of "Magicians" that bought allot of there material from E, only to expose it on Youtube the the day after receiving it. I dont want to make sweeping statments here - but this is just my opinion taken from past experiance.

Face it, this place look a hell of a lot like Ellusionist. i have a real problem with those guys. I dont like there buisness or there ethics and they have done allot to damage not just the magic community but certain magicians reputations.

Anyway,

One thing that has made me feel a hell of a lot better is the people involved in the site - namely Chris Kenner. Mr Kenner has had my admiration for a few years now, and Im pretty sure he wouldent attach his name to just any old thing. I hope for his sake and the other Magi involved that the owners motivations are honerouble.

Peace.

I think the one thing you really HAVE to consider is the quality of the people here... These are pretty reputable names involved with this organization..

But you are right .. you should be sceptical..why not? .. I am sure they will want to woo you .. I think thier intent is a good one , but who knows ... Time will tell ...

Until then sit back and watch...Let's see what happens... I hope you, and all of us are pleasently pleased..

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Jaz,

You're not alone. Check this out. Here's my post from that same thread for everyone reading here:

We understand your concern and hesitation. In fact, that concern is what pushed us to create a site like this. We are a site that focuses on the quality of magic over the quantity. We screen our tricks based on a number of different factors. If it doesn't live up to our standards, you won't see it here. That's a personal promise.

Watch the site intro and beginners video again. Look at just how passionate and dedicated our team is to bringing you the best, most visual magic being performed today. That passion is what drives us.

I tend to be skeptical of those who are skeptical. Just kidding. I understand what you're saying. There are some former ellusionist employees here, I think that is a good thing. Those who came here from "e" have the upmost in integrity. As for the "wrong types" being attracted to this site;
They are attracted to anything new, spoilers are like theives, you can't stop them, you can only slow them down. those types have been around as long as magic has been around. It sucks, but it is a fact. I am still heart broken over the dumbass masked magician ( he gave away the nightclub dove vanish.....three freaking days after I got mine! )

Curtis "Miles of Magic"

Aug 31, 2007
I wouldn't say that I'm skeptical, more like apprehensive.

All the claims made so far - "stuff you will use, in-house production, quality over quantity" - sound very familiar to me. I'm not saying they're not true, I'm just saying that I hope things turn out better than with Ellusionist. One aspect could be the announcement of products months or years before release :p.

The people behind are the thing hooking me on. Sure, companies can hire whomever they like, but Kenner and Houchin are STAFF here. And I have a feeling that Fisher, Asher and the others are here to stay. Heck, who knows who would like to hitch a ride.

The one thing that keeps bugging me, is the paradoxal subtitle: "Underground Magic Epicenter". Fellas, the underground, by definition, is not marketed to thousands worldwide. ;)

Aug 31, 2007
Newton, MA
I do not think he means the actual look, but more of the type of site it is. Jaz, you are definitely not alone if your worries, a lot of us are worried about these types of things because of what we have seen in the past with sites such as E. It is sad though that we need to be skeptical IMHO, it just shows how much harm has already been done. I think this site has great potential and I respect all of the artists on here, and I don't think they would have come together so they would have a site to do harm to the art that I think they love so much, or at least so it seems to me. Well done T11, and I hope you prove to us what you have said :D
Adam

Sep 1, 2007

There's no way we can stop that sort of thing from happening without killing off magic itself.

Damage? Name five incidents.

And I know this is going to come up sooner or later, and I've been sitting on this for a while, but I feel it's a question that needs to be answered.

Since the comparisons to Ellusionist have already been stated, and the criticisms have begun, I've already seen people making the same generic complaint that will inevitably be parrotted in this thread. Specifically, they're complaining about single-trick DVDs and those who sell them.

Here's my problem with that... I see a lot of people complaining about the retailers, but I have never once seen any of those same people taking the creators to task for deciding to produce those same single-trick DVDs in the first place. Why is that? I already know the answer, but I want to hear it from someone for whom the cognitive dissonance is kicking in.

Jaz

Sep 1, 2007
Damage? Name five incidents.

And I know this is going to come up sooner or later, and I've been sitting on this for a while, but I feel it's a question that needs to be answered.

If you dont know why Ellusionist has got such a bad rep - then im not going to get into a full blown debate thats been tackled in the past on MANY forums.

Just know that the bad rep - is much deserved.

If you dont know why Ellusionist has got such a bad rep - then im not going to get into a full blown debate thats been tackled in the past on MANY forums.

Yeah ok dude. What are you like freakin 6? You didn't answer the question. Why? Because you dont know the answer. Dont say things you cant back-up. I think Ellusionist is an awsome retailer compared to it's Penguin rival which by the way has ripped off I don't know how many magicians and effects.

And if this has been "tackled" and MANY other fourms, whats one more going to hurt? Go on. Explain...

Well, at the moment I'm not skeptical at all. Just from seeing the work these magicians have done. To try and Please us, is something new. They're doing it more for us than themselves in some cases which makes me think this site is different. There's so many things about this site I love, being from the 1-on-1 talk with pro-magicians in the forums, or to the fun laid back humour in the forums. Although laid-back they bust their ass to put the best product they could out on the market. Im just excited for what the future has instore

-RA69

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Guys,

There is no need to argue because one person likes one site or forum and another likes a different. Theory11 is here to promote unity within the magic community. There's no need for "forum" beefs, and we've understood that from the start.

I say explore all of the resources available to you. There are so many out there, why not check 'em all out and decide which one(s) YOU like best?

Let's keep the forums as friendly as the Keebler elves -- when they're not trying to bite kneecaps. God speed guys!

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Guys,

There is no need to argue because one person likes one site or forum and another likes a different. Theory11 is here to promote unity within the magic community. There's no need for "forum" beefs, and we've understood that from the start.

I say explore all of the resources available to you. There are so many out there, why not check 'em all out and decide which one(s) YOU like best?

Let's keep the forums as friendly as the Keebler elves -- when they're not trying to bite kneecaps. God speed guys!

I dont think i would be to friendly if i was forced to bake cookies in a hollow tree in the middle of summer or dry season.

Sheesh
=P

~Jordan

Aug 31, 2007
California
Jaz,

You're not alone. Check this out. Here's my post from that same thread for everyone reading here:

We understand your concern and hesitation. In fact, that concern is what pushed us to create a site like this. We are a site that focuses on the quality of magic over the quantity. We screen our tricks based on a number of different factors. If it doesn't live up to our standards, you won't see it here. That's a personal promise.

Watch the site intro and beginners video again. Look at just how passionate and dedicated our team is to bringing you the best, most visual magic being performed today. That passion is what drives us.

Thanks Jon, glad you said that.

I look at the people running this site, and think to myself... and say; Wow.

Read the names. Look at their material. They arn't people who are just running this place to get some cash and put out some cheap effects.

The site just started, lets see how it goes.

Keenan

Sep 2, 2007
Thanks Jon, glad you said that.

I look at the people running this site, and think to myself... and say; Wow.

Read the names. Look at their material. They arn't people who are just running this place to get some cash and put out some cheap effects.

The site just started, lets see how it goes.

Keenan

Exactly what I was about to say.... Why do people ALWAYS beat me to these
things?

Another thing, competition is GOOD. Stop being uptight because another site
opened. In the end, it can mean higher quality and cheaper products for us.

And Jaz, you claim E has a bad rep. I've ordered through a lot of websites,
and I've been ordering through E for 2 years now with NO problems
whatsoever with Customer Support, Product Quality, Shipping, or anything
else for that matter. I'd love to see some CONCRETE REASONS behind the
accusations.

I really am excited about this site, all the same. It has a very attractive
interface (which says to me time put into a site = time put into products
= high quality products = :) ) and as mentioned a million times, look at the people running it.
(WH, JB, etc. etc.) Chances are, they know what they're doing.......

-Jiten

so the complaints are already popping up? Well, I don't know why people stress over these issues and that they COULD happen, if it hasn't occured yet (ie. youtube exposure) from this site, whjy worry about it, it may happen, but definately not too often. I don't know, I don't understand why people are arguing and getting mad at each other because of stuff that ould happen.

And this whole rivalry thing going on because your from a different magic site and taking potshots at other sites is not needed, honestly...

Sep 1, 2007

Nice dodge. PM me if you can actually back up your claims.

God, I'm sick to death of this politics crap. People here are trying to make out this guy or that guy out to be the next Jeffrey Dahmer.

Sep 1, 2007
Guys why can't we respect Ellusionist and Theory 11 and instead of making them out to look like two seperate magic mafia families, realise they are both part of the magic community.
[lol@the mafia reference]

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Nice dodge. PM me if you can actually back up your claims.

God, I'm sick to death of this politics crap. People here are trying to make out this guy or that guy out to be the next Jeffrey Dahmer.

That's funny, politics I'm sure is the last thing that the people of T11 want to be involved in.

But your not helping the situation by posting threads that have "I'm not impressed" as the first words on the page.

If you don't like it, that's your opinion, but exaclty what are you so sick of? Being that you apparently aren't considering a solution.

I'm jussayin'

KE

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results