Anytime Anywhere by Jay Sankey

Anytime Anywhere by Jay Sankey

This is a review for Jay's Dvd which has 34 impromptu routines. A very affordable Dvd and has some gems which you can learn, so you could be ready to perform.

Where to buy: http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=8848

Product Description:
For years, magicians and mentalists have been asking Jay about his unreleased impromptu work. Now on this very special DVD, Jay shares a mind-blowing collection of 34 routines, the vast majority of which have never before appeared in print, on video or DVD.

34 astounding magic and mentalist effects with borrowed keys, coins, business cards, paper money, wooden matches, finger rings, playing cards, elastic bands, pens, cigarette packs, books, newspapers, paper matches, napkins and more!

Jay also shares the real work on such essential topics as the power of impromptu performances, combining magic and mentalism, magic with a borrowed deck, scripting, the importance of simplcity, and handling props within the impromptu setting.

Layout: Jay shows you the trick then explains it, then moves on to the next trick. I'd rather have him show all the effects, then explain rather than do it one at a time, but it's all good. Jay talks about impromptu tricks and how powerful they can be in between some of the tricks.

Quality: This is Jay Sankey, so you can expect a pretty good quality Dvd.

Running Time: It's about 2 hours and 20 minutes. I'm making a guess, because it doesn't say on the Dvd.

Teaching: The teaching is great. Jay has his usual comedy, but not that much. Due to the number of effects on the Dvd I was expecting some rushed teaching, but he takes however long it needs to explain the tricks.

Tricks: There are 34 tricks on this Dvd. I'll give a quick description(because there are a lot of tricks) then my opinion, and a rating.

Change in Direction: This is a version of Paul Harris' Bizzare Twist, but done with buisness cards. You draw arrows on then and one of the changes direction on the card. This is a pretty good routine. It's not the strongest trick, but in tight situation, it could be on of your favorite tricks. I don't know a lot of people carrying around buisness cards, so it's not that practical for me. 6/10

Perennial: You put 3 matches in your hand and they vanish, but reapear back in your pocket. This is a great trick. Jay goes over this a lot and has some variations you could do to this trick. He teaches you how to rip 3 matches out of a match book, vanish them, and have them reapear back in the book. I really like this one. The method is clever too. 8/10

Green Thumb: An impromptu TnR. This is a great on the go Torn and Restored. It can be just as effective as any other TnR. I love this. It's quick, simple, and a TnR that hasn't been killed with a complicated method. 9/10

Soft Spot: You borrow a key ring with plenty of keys on them. You melt off one of the keys, then slam it back on in a second. The method is alright. You have to perform it for about 6-7 people, and in the right situation it can be killer. 7/10

Against all Odds: A classic trick, in fact it is the first trick I learned, that my uncle taught me. It has a cleaner method, and is a great trick. You up jog 3 cards one at a time, and your spectator names 3 cards one at a time, and you put the cards in your pocket. You take em out and it ovecourse is the 3 named cards. 8/10

The Wager: You need a glass or cup for this one, or something to hold change. You borrow change, people shout out the date of their coin. Someone picks up a coin from all of the mixed up change, and reads out the date. It matches the exact date on your quarter that has been in front of the specs the whole time. Not a bad method, but I don't like having a something to put the change in, or borrowing that much change from my audience. 6.5/10

Hypothesis Production: You reach out and pick out a coin from thin air. Put it in your pocket and do it 2 more times. It's a great production, and just a great layed back effect. 9/10

Partial Knowledge: A 3 card monte routine with a twist, in which the card you were supposed to watch, ends up face up in the middle of the pack. A cool card trick, and very easy to do. A average effect to do when you have nothing else to perform. 8/10

Pawnbroker: A borrowed ring and borrowed quarter switches places numerous times, with classic sleight of hand. It'll take some practice, but is worth it in the end, because it just a pure effect, and is a classic impromptu effect. 8/10

Heat of the Moment: An old imromptu effect, where the rubberband melts off of a pen. Then the rubberband vanishes, and is popped out of the cap. It's simple, and sometimes not too impressive for the spectator. 6.5/10

Double Trouble: A double triumph routine, with 2 chosen cards. Not bad, but I'd rather stick to some of the other one card Triumph routines I know, that are better. It's not a bad effect at all though. 7/10

Printed Matters: An impromptu book test done with a borrowed book and a deck of cards. A great effect, which I definately perform. You can borrow any book, and has so many openings for great presentation. I love it. 10/10

Inside Out: A penny dissapears and appears inside a crumpled dollar bill. Then you throw the bill at the penny, and there is an interesting vanish used. I like the effect, because it's a simple impromptu effect, with an original idea. 7/10

Heavy Metal Vanish: A key vanish, designed just for keys. It's a decent vanish, but it's not far superior to retention vanishes, or classic palms. 6/10

Part 2 The System didn't let me fit it into one post.

Reunited: You borrow a match book. Tear out a match. Lite it up, and tear it in half. Restore it with heat, and your done. I grade A effect. Super simple, easy to do, and everything is completely borrowed. 9/10

Underbanded: The spec choosed a card, and it's mixed in. You put a ruubberband around the deck, and use the bottom card. It's not their card, but you put a quarter inside the rubberband. You throw the cards at your other hand, and the rubberbanded card with the coin changes into their card, still with the coin. A great trick, and a very convincing change. Needs some practice, but a great trick. 9/10

Anywhere Wands: An idea of using an imaginary wand to vanish a coin. It's nothing original and just filler. I don't see why it's even on the Dvd. 2/10

Solitary Confinement: A card is remembered. Another card is chosen behind the specs back by the spec, and put into the empy card box. You take out the card and ovecourse it is their selected card. The method is alright, it's hard, and not for people with small hands. 7/10

Departure Time: You take out the 4 aces. The spectator names the red or black aces. Let's say they choose the black aces, so they dissapear, and reappear in the middle of the pack. Great effect, and Sankey uses it as a prelude to Doc Daley's Ace effect, which is my favorite card trick. I'm definately going to use this simplse, but powerful card trick. 8.5/10

Seed Money: You take 2 pennies, turn it into a dime, then turn the dime into two half dollars. The routine is good, but it taught me a new coin sleight called the Gallow Pitch. A fantastic sleight, which is soooo convincing. Routine gets a 7/10 Gallow Pitch gets a 9/10

Floater: A terrible trick, where you stick a box to your finger. FILLER Just a crappy effect, and not impressive at all. It's like performing the old floating knife gag. 0/10 Not a real effect.

Reversal of Fortune: A transpo of coins from the magicians hand, into the spectators hand, using the dates on the coin. A great trick, using paper, to tell which coin is where. Very visual and an overall fun effect to perform. Simple, and easy. 8/10

Jam Session: A coin in pen cap routine, that is really good. I like this method, and fooled me the first time I watched it on the dvd. A nice effect using just one quarter and one cap. It'll take some practice, but it'll be worth it. 8/10

Magtnetic: You draw a magnet on the top card. A card is chosen, and the magnet card brings it to the top. It does this again. Then the suprise ending, where the magnet card, turns in to the chosen card. Fantastic effect, and the best card routine on the dvd. This can be turned into a very original Acr routine. 10/10

The Perfect Switch: A good switch for coins. Based on the Goshman pinch, this can be very convincing. 8/10

Somerassault: Another Triumph routine, using a rubberband. It uses the same move as underbanded, and it's a very visual Triumph routine. I know better methods, but this is a really good routine. 8.5/10

Here and Gone: Take a coin, put it in your pocket, and make it pass through your pocket, vanish the coin, produce it again, then vanish it for good. It's all just regular coin sleights, and I'd say it's minor filler. You might like the routine, but it's not all bad. 6/10

Trial Saparation: Borrow a bill and tear it in half. ball up the two pieces, and restore it in the spec hand. You lose a dollar everytime you perform it, and I don't like that. Not for me, but is a decent method. 6/10

Sight Unseen: You borrow a coin, and touch it behind your back. You then name the date in the coin. It's a good effect, and easy mentalism on the spot. I'll use it in a tough spot, as it is very very easy. 9/10

Apparition: A spec remembers a card, and the shuffled into the deck. Then the card appears folded in between the magician's hands. I nice effect, and not too bold for a decent skilled magician. 7/10

Slow Motion Coins #2: A coins across routine where the 3 coins vanish from the Magi's hands. One coin is in the pocket, on in the breast pocket, and on under the magician's watch. A GREAT! coin effect. I just make them all go to the pocket (which is Slow Motion Coins #1), because I don't have a breast pocket, or wear a watch, but it's my favorite coin effect. It's killer. Very convincing, and I really like to perform this. It's easy, simple, and the best coin effect on the dvd. 10/10

Under the Influence: You roll up a bill, and drop a borrowed ring on it. You then take it off. The spectators hold both sides of the bill and hook the ring onto the bill. Easy, and also another great effect on the dvd. This is also one of the best effect you'll learn on the Dvd. 9/10

Somebody Else's Money: You bet a spectator's bill that another spectator has mental powers. A card is remembered, and the spectator gets a playing card(not their card). They stick it into the deck, and you see if their chosen card is where they stuck it. It isn't, but the card they stuck into the deck, has turned into their card. Very, very easy. I used this effect all the time. It's fun for the spectators, and mind blowing. It hits hard, and is a great effect. 9/10

Past, Present, Future: You get 3 pieces of paper, or napkins, then ask the spectator to name something from the past, and you write your prediction, then they name their prediction. Then name something from the future, then name something from the present. A great mentalism effect. This is the same trick in Mark Wilson's CCIM called " The Three Way Test". An effect I already knew, but it's still a great mental trick. 8.5/10

At the end Jay advertises some of his products like In A Flash, Razor's Edge, and Amazing Magic and Mentalism Anyone Can do Volume One & Two.

Overall, this was a great buy. I found some amazing magic to show to people in completely impromptu situation. There is some filler on the Dvd, but you will fina handful of effect that you will perform. A fantastic Sankey Dvd, with lots of quality effects. I say definately get it.

Overall: 9/10 :D

Nov 8, 2007
VERY nice review, man. AA is one of the best purchases I ever made. Great value and it has some really great magic on there. I have to disagree with this though:

Anywhere Wands: An idea of using an imaginary wand to vanish a coin. It's nothing original and just filler. I don't see why it's even on the Dvd. 2/10

The Anywhere Wands concept is very clever. One of the best ditching methods I've EVER come across, and it adds humor and audience participation too your performance as well. One of my favorite pieces of info on this DVD, and one that I've gotten A LOT of mileage out of over the years.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results