Apperance

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
how do feel about how a street performer should seem the public.
the way i dress some people feel when i ask them see some card magic i do novelty book magic. the kind u would buy in a toy store.
how do feel about presentation of a street performer

also if i was to be come professional do u feel i change my appearance as a neatly dress performer people expect?

i myself dont feel i should change but what do u think?

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
I think that if you are doning street performances it is very casual, you should not need to change anything from how you would normally dress.

As for professional venues, it varies, but I would expect a magician dresses nicely. You should think about what the people you are performing for will be wearing, and dress one step above that. In a restarant you wont want to be wearing a suit, at a business party you don't want to wear jeans and t-shirt.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
im a very messy person in the way i dress person
if u look at this performance-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRnfoN-21I0

i couldnt make it professionally dressed like this then?

Oct 24, 2007
There are very loose rules for this, and I'll address them now. I'm going to add how you should dress for corporate events and parties as well, since I think it's good to know.

Street-Performing: Dress like you normally would when going out to Wal-Mart, the mall, etc. So, basically dress like a normal person. That way people you approach feel comfortable around you as you perform.

ex. I wear my regular jeans (some holes in 'em) and maybe a Hollister or American Eagle shirt + a jacket.

Corporate Events: Definitely dress nicely! For corporate events you need to look professional. Looking professional (if you perform your magic well), will most likely land you another gig, so it's important!

ex. I usually wear nice dress pants, shined dress shoes, and a nice dress shirt. Ties for me are optional, as they might get in the way of my performances (basically I find them annoying).

Parties: Now, this section is a little more fuzzy. Really, it depends on the party. If it's a formal party, dress formally. If it's a normal party, dress slightly nicer than you usually would, but not hugely formal.

ex. For formal parties I of course wear something like I would wear for corporate events. With a normal party (birthday, Christmas, etc.), I wear nice jeans (no holes, and dark wash because it's considered more dressy than regular jeans) and a dress shirt, usually with a matching shirt underneath.

So, I hope that was able to help you some and anyone else that wonders what you should wear when performing in different venues and for different occasions. Peace!

Tyler

Oct 25, 2008
Michigan
In my opinion what you were wearing is great for just about any situation. A casual look with a jacket or tie works great for a street magic or casual restarant/bar setting.

Looking put together, good, or professional does not mean that you have to change your style. Like I said before, think about what your audience will be wearing, you want to fit in and it's always better to be over dressed than to be under dressed.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
It really depends what market you are targeting - A lot of pro's over here that do the big gigs always don a tux. A lot of people WILL NOT book unless you wear a tux, but I've done lots of gigs that are just smart-casual, so it really varies.

There's nothing wrong with being a little different though, look at Dynamo - He's made his name by wearing tracksuits and the like!

Be yourself, but know that if you want to work corporate or high-end parties it's likely that you'll be required to suit up.

D.

Dec 7, 2008
UK, Birmingham
yeah thats my point i want to stay true to my self. i was just wondering cuz i got an offer to do some professional work and if it goes well i just wanted to know if it goes any further what i would have to do. i hate wearing suits and if i dont have to i will not

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results