April 2009 :: Proudly Presenting

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Any magician would agree that the most important facet of performing is in the presentation. How one chooses to present a particular magic effect can make the difference between jaw-dropping reactions and little more than a shrug.

Inspired by a suggestion from foolzsight and a recent post from Katie Egleston discussing a friend's less-than-lovely encounter with a magician (as is often the case when talking with friends, relatives, and so forth about past experiences with conjurers). This month's Cerca Trova will delve further into the presentational aspects of magic.

What are magicians most lacking in performance? What can we do to enhance our presentation? Further, how can we - as magicians - change the public's perception of magic, through presentation?

Looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
Here's my input on this. I think the reason why people aren't getting the reactions they want is because their trick doesn't have any meaning. Most of the tricks are just "Hey, look what i can do!"

There was a phrase used by Darwin Ortiz that summarizes what i'm saying. I goes "So you can do magic. Why should I care?"

Does the spectator really care that you can pull out 4 aces in a flourishy way? Do they care that you can make balls travel from one cup to another? Do they care that you can make a bunny appear out of your hat? Of course not! It doesn't pertain to them. The magician's ability to to those tricks wont help them in any way.

The trick people care most about are ones where they're emotionally hooked. For example, bill switches like Prophet or Extreme Burn are really strong simply because people like money. They can relate to it. When the see that you can multiply money with a snap of your fingers, they'll react because they've been emotionally hooked.

Same thing applies with selected cards. Why do card revelations have such a big impact on audiences? Because they picked a card. It's THEIR card. It personal now. This is enhanced if you can have them sign the card. People care about themselves more than anything else so they're emotionally hooked.

So all in all, it's important to have good character and audience management. But if you're trick fails to appeal to the audience, than everything else won't matter. Just remember this important question: "So you can do magic. Why should I care?"

Any magician would agree that the most important facet of performing is in the presentation. How one chooses to present a particular magic effect can make the difference between jaw-dropping reactions and little more than a shrug.

What are magicians most lacking in performance? What can we do to enhance our presentation? Further, how can we - as magicians - change the public's perception of magic, through presentation?

I think most magicians are lacking that crucial little bit of humor, audience participation, and variety. Add in those and your presentation and the audience's perception of magic will be improved. It's important to choose what's good for the right audience; connect. For example, it might be better to talk perverted jokes for adults, rather than children. Etc.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Most magicians I see lack personality.Or a better word,originality.
They take the "be yourself" concept too far and present the magic in a lifeless manner.
Their script consists of "ok ima do this..your card goes here..but watch.."and nothing else.
The magic lacks substance.Fancy flourishes and eye candy tricks can only entertain people for so
long.And even in that moment the magic feels pretty shallow.
Audiences crave substance.Emotional hooks.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
Most magicians I see lack personality.Or a better word,originality.
They take the "be yourself" concept too far and present the magic in a lifeless manner.
Their script consists of "ok ima do this..your card goes here..but watch.."and nothing else.
The magic lacks substance.Fancy flourishes and eye candy tricks can only entertain people for so
long.And even in that moment the magic feels pretty shallow.
Audiences crave substance.Emotional hooks.

way to regurgitate the previous posts. lets see some originality.

Feb 28, 2008
I'm currently in teacher's college and I've found a lot of similarities between teaching and performing, and the main thing everyone here is saying is to find a connection with the audience. If they choose a card, they're in on it. If it pertains to objects they use all the time like money, they understand it better. When you see yourself in what's being done, it makes a big difference.

I think most online magic videos I see are just about the movements opposed to the performance. Most videos have no patter and are doing the same tricks that Dan and Dave do... it works for D+D, but if I wanted to see a GOAT change, I'd just watch my everythingelse DVD.

Jan 18, 2009
When I had first started in magic I had tried to do the best possible, and over time it really hit me what the presentation meant.

When I had started to really try out scripts and everything else, sometimes I was getting caught in the motions of the sleights and not saying or performing a decent piece of magic. It wasn't that I wasn't skilled or prepared but just getting caught in the habit was a real struggle to get past.

So maybe the presentation has several different factors, age, audience, etc.
How can a 15 year old present a piece of magic with an emotional hook, a performance so good that people will remember that specific piece of magic for the rest of their life or at least next week. When an audience member is so bent on catching you that they won't even listen to the words you are saying and instead focus solely on w/e sleight you may be doing.

Even now when I am a bit older I try my hardest to present each piece of magic as a unsolvable piece of mystery, something that will test even the most hardened of spectators.

So what can anybody do to increase their performance?You can alwaya read books, watch the professionals, take notes, and practice different presentations so you know what works best.

Sep 3, 2007
An emotional hook

I think you can create it by

Effect:
built in emotional hook
amazing
defined magic moment and image

Character:
unique, but someone that they can relate to and like

How do you make them not care about the method and listen to what you're saying?

Be entertaining without using magic as a crutch
Be up front about things like misdirection and debunk, (see David Williamson's ACR)

Some advice I got from GoMagicGo is to watch good performers, but instead of trying to steal their lines and effects, ask yourself how did he get that reaction, what about his personality and mannerism?

Mar 22, 2009
London, UK
I think the biggest problem/thing that people need to change is that they see magic as an excuse to interact with others.

If you use magic as a reason to approach people and then try to add a personality/performance around your tricks, then you will always come across as 'just a magician' to your audience. And since a lot of people have preconceptions about magicians, this can lead to awkward audience situations and people trying to figure out your tricks. This isn't enjoyable to anyone, so what can you do?

Well in short, you need a personality that is separate from your magic. If you are a fundamentally interesting person who can do magic as well you will be much more successful than someone whose personality is only that of a magician.

So try to always approach your audience as though you are just a normal, interesting person and then introduce the fact you do magic. If you do this then they will already be on your 'side' when you start performing; you will have greater rapport with them; everyone will enjoy themselves more; and it is far easier to control your audience....

Magicians and what they lack, I feel most magicians on this forum lack any personality of there own. A way they could fix this is too ditch magic for a bit. Leave your cards at home one day and while in a public setting try and start conversations with a "stranger." If you can strike up a good conversation without the use of magic, you have past step 1.

The next thing to do is while having this conversation notice how you act and how the other person acts. How are you different, how are you the same? Next you can apply this to yourself while performing magic. If you like to talk, then talk. You do not have to try and draw out the image of someone else, IE Criss Angel, David Copperfield, David Blaine, Lance Burton, David Blaine, and most recently The Amazing Jonathan.

Now the next time you strike up a conversation with a random STRANGER, Over act the things you feel makes yourself different, whether it be your all about the sparkles and rainbows, or if your about dark, death I love edger alan poe type of person; I like both.
Now the important thing about these exercises is that you may never see these people again ever in your life, so don't be afraid to let loose your character.

In hamlet, Hamlet speaks a soliloquy "To be or not to be." It can be applied to you as a performer.

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

AHH translation please. See now I am a mindreader, don't worry I will hook you up.

So thinking about it makes cowards of us all, and it follows that the first impulse to end our life is obscured by reflecting on it. And great and important plans are diluted to the point where we don't do anything.

If you take that translation (Thank You) into the context of performing, If you have to think about your character it makes a coward ie negative out of you. Your great important plans is to become a great not a good but great performer, but if you have to try and be someone else then you will never reach that goal.

Peace,

Nexus

Aug 31, 2007
California
So maybe the presentation has several different factors, age, audience, etc.
How can a 15 year old present a piece of magic with an emotional hook, a performance so good that people will remember that specific piece of magic for the rest of their life or at least next week. When an audience member is so bent on catching you that they won't even listen to the words you are saying and instead focus solely on w/e sleight you may be doing.

To the Bold:

The same exact way that any older gentleman/lady would do it. Experience, practice, time, and effort. I see so many "kids" make up excuses with "I am too young to create true magic right now" when in reality, it is quite possible to do so. Through time, effort, trial and error, studying, etc. This is all possible. It comes down to the amount of effort you want to put in, how much you truely want it, and whether or not you are ready to do so.

To the italicized:

I am guessing you are performing at your school? Well, this is most likely why. In school, people are trying to be the alpha male. They see another student that is doing something amazing and getting all the attention and they want it. So they try and ruin your effect, etc. It is hard to create that emotional hook and feeling of real magic in these situations, but when you can, imagine how much harder your magic will be. Learn how to do this, and your magic will be 100% better. In Derren Brown's Absolute Magic, he talks about creating magic, even in just one effect, in a environment where you would never think it could happen. A noisy restuarant, a club, etc. Yet, he manages to do it. Why can't you?

Basically, I believe it comes down to the performer. What he does, how he acts, what he says, How he says it, his likeability, etc. There are so many components to being able to do this that I can't write them out. Read Strong Magic by Ortiz, Absolute Magic, by Brown, Designing Miracles, by Ortiz, etc. These books are the basics (maybe no basics) of learning how to create magic and that emotional hook. Get them, read them over and over again and most important, apply them to your magic.

Just learning how to do all of these things, will change your audiences perception about magic. They think its a trick. They think your a cheat. Basically, haha. That is why you can (don't HAVE to) create magic for them. Create that hook that will make them remember it for a very long time. Don't focus on creating this in every effect, because it just isn't going to happen.

Learn, Learn some more, and apply.

Keenan

Sep 1, 2007
And I hadnt read any of the previous posts when writing that.

Don't make a habit out of that.

How can a 15 year old present a piece of magic with an emotional hook, a performance so good that people will remember that specific piece of magic for the rest of their life or at least next week.

Same way anyone else does. Even a child can empathize and say something meaningful. In fact, despite the inherent selfishness and ignorance that come with being a child (and I'm not saying that in a pejorative way), kids are typically better at empathy than a lot of adults are. With a little direction and focus, they too have the ability to do something artistically profound.

Jan 28, 2009
There's more to it than just an emotional hook. The whole thing has to work, from the second you say hello to the second you say goodbye.

To use a topical example, look at David Blaine. He rolls up to someone, with a bit of an awkward weird manner, seeming a bit nervous, eyes invariably covered by glasses and says in a somewhat stuttery tone. "Can I show you something?" Not "Can I show you a card trick?" or, "Do you want to see some magic?" but, "Can I show you something?" or, "Do you want to see something that transcends the mind?"

This is incredibly psychologically powerful, because immediately the person is thinking.....what...? What is he going to show me? Some may even be made slightly nervous, unnerved by his manner and his approach, wondering if he's about to unzip his pants and whip something out they don't want to see. All are wondering who is this guy....and is something bad about to happen or something good, and then.....he pulls out a deck of cards, or some other object, but they are still in a highly suggestible state, due to being somewhat confused. Normally the words magic are mentioned with a deck of cards, but in this case.....its never been said.

Then the dialogue stops, a cascade of "watch watch watch" and subtly included non-sequeters in his speaking, "Hey why don't you do this so you can sign it big....big big!!!!, now give me it back so you can take it again......right....watch now watch...." "Hey why don't you shake your own hand" as he reaches out with his hand and they shake it....but miss what he said, but itjust once again thrusts them into a highly suggestible state of mind.

So now the audience is emotionally invested as their card has been signed but are completely confused on a psychological level as to what exactly may happen, maybe still freaked out......then bang the effect happens and suddenly all of their confusion melts away into a certainty that they have just seen something that brings it all together which has a huge impact.

It's thinking about your performance on -those- kinds of levels that separates David Blaine from your average magician. It's -all- intentional. That's why the reactions are good, not because the trick is amazing, or the sleights are flawless, but the whole presentation screams what the heck, and people leave thinking they've seen something magical.

That's what's missing from a lot of performances, which is a tragedy. I'm not saying anyone could replicate that, but there are aspects of that in a lot of good magical performances. In Poker you'd call it 3rd level thinking, whereby first level thinking is, if I approach say hello and do a good trick it'll get them. Second level might be, if my slights are better the reaction may be better, 3rd level thinking may be, how I say hello, or if I confuse them here, or if I do this here it may cause a reaction before I even pull out the deck.

That's what draws people in, and as a magician, misdirection is about more than what's in your hands.

Another example, Copperfield on stage, he gets a bunch of random numbers from the audience and tells a story about his grandads car (which later appears on stage) but what's amazing is the numbers on the number plate are those selected by the audience. Now the story is more than just an emotional hook (which it is) but its also a way of making the number plate perminent in the eyes of the audience. It makes it seem even more impossible because they understand in an emotional and a historical way where the number plate comes from (even if its not true) and thus it brings the house down rather than just being any other number prediction plot.

Basically its lack of thought about the performance. Do you want to be someone just doing card tricks? Or do you want to be someone that is magical? Sure be yourself......but be yourself and think about everything you say. Every part of your act should be thought about, from hello to goodbye when you hand them back their signed card, or their quarter, or you give them the ticket you tore up in front of them in one piece...whatever it is.

So yeah...if you don't put a bit of 3rd level thinking into your magic, you're just another guy with a deck. Everyone needs to find their own way of doing that, that works for them, but its the presance of that X factor that makes miracles possible.

Jan 5, 2009
Small town Ohio
I think the biggest thing magicians are lacking these days is individuality. Learn a trick and present it how you would present it. Don't try to be like other famous magicians.

It seems like a lot of people who learn new tricks, go out and preform them exactly like the person who they learned it from.
That's boring! Be yourself. Switch it up. Take an effect and really make it your own.

Then, really get your audience connected with you. Make them care about what you're about to show them. Convince them that what you're doing is seriously just, awesome. Magic is about entertaining people so make sure they're being entertained. And this can be done through a number of different ways.

I just wish people would be themselves more. It really gets boring when I see people preforming just like everyone else. Bring something new to the table.. your own personality. :]

Jan 28, 2009
I think the biggest thing magicians are lacking these days is individuality. Learn a trick and present it how you would present it. Don't try to be like other famous magicians.

It seems like a lot of people who learn new tricks, go out and preform them exactly like the person who they learned it from.
That's boring! Be yourself. Switch it up. Take an effect and really make it your own.

Then, really get your audience connected with you. Make them care about what you're about to show them. Convince them that what you're doing is seriously just, awesome. Magic is about entertaining people so make sure they're being entertained. And this can be done through a number of different ways.

I just wish people would be themselves more. It really gets boring when I see people preforming just like everyone else. Bring something new to the table.. your own personality. :]

I agree with every sentiment in your post, but nothing in your post tells anyone how to make an effect their own, or how to convince someone that something is awesome.

What third level thinking do you use in your magic to convince people of the above?

Sep 1, 2007
The first step in making a presentation yours is to first step out of your own head, consider your target audience, and realize that they're all asking, "What do I get out of this? What's in it for me?"

I've asked those same questions of many magicians here and elsewhere. It's incredible how few of them can come up with an answer. And of the ones that do answer, most of them are terrible.

Jan 28, 2009
The first step in making a presentation yours is to first step out of your own head, consider your target audience, and realize that they're all asking, "What do I get out of this? What's in it for me?"

I've asked those same questions of many magicians here and elsewhere. It's incredible how few of them can come up with an answer. And of the ones that do answer, most of them are terrible.

I think that's caused by the fact that most magicians put themselves in the awesome category, despite the fact that they can't answer the question.

My attitude is, if you can't explain to someone how you construct your act to make your magic hard hitting and knock people's socks off in simple, non generalized terms, you are just the guy with the cards that everyone smiles politely and then thinks, "So what?"

All this, "Be cool, be natural, be amazing, make them really think....wow." It's like...."duh" but none of that tells me that the person making the statement knows how to be -any- of those things. The how, not the what needs to be brought to the fore imo. Anyone can write, "Be GOOD and perform well" but none of that is helpful to anyone trying to emulate those things, and yet threads like this on this forum so often descend into that kind of drivel. Unless of course Steerpike's involved, but few listen to him anyways, even though they should.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results