Are custom cards that much better?

Mar 22, 2019
Hey all.

Total beginner here at 36 years of age. I hail from the continent of Africa, South Africa to be exact. Coming across quality cards this side is extremely difficult and costly. With import duties and shipping you are looking at $40 at least for 1 pack of cards shipped via Fed Ex, DHL et al. Our postal service has gone bankrupt, and therefore cannot deliver on time, if at all. This is all an entirely different matter but does bring me to my point.

The "best" cards available to us (excluding the lone magic shop that hikes their prices up due to the former paragraph), is Bicycle League Backs. Now, I see nothing wrong with these cards to my limited knowledge and am having a good time going through royal road and honing my skills. But I always wonder if custom cards are worth the premium. This is purely in terms of feel and handling, not with the hours upon hours of design work that goes into the tuck box and the like. Are they truly worth the premium should it be purely based upon performance?

I have heard of crushed stock but I am not 100% sure what cards have them. When holding these cards and handling them, do they feel different? Noticeably so?

It's a heavy investment here in South Africa for say, some Hudsons, Monarchs etc. Just one deck of each will amount to roughly $50. I am willing to spend the money if it is worth it, but not having a clue....

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Honestly, it really doesn't make a difference. It definitely isn't worth it if it'll cost you $50 to get one, especially if you're not concerned about the design.

I'll be honest and say that (to me) crushed stock is noticeably different from standard stocks. The cards are thinner and snappier. They feel nicer out of the box but they won't necessarily make your magic better or make sleights easier (except maybe faro shuffles but a broken in Bicycle deck will also faro well). It's a nice luxury but I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary. It's different but it doesn't "make a difference" if that makes sense.

Standard Bikes, despite what some might say about the quality, are perfect for magic. Most custom decks use the standard Bicycle stock and finish anyway. If you're not having trouble using them, then you don't really need the crushed decks. For me, the stock and finish used by Theory11, although different, feels basically the same as standard bikes, so when I buy T11 decks, it's mostly, if not entirely, for the design.

Hope this was helpful! Maybe others will have better insight but that's just how I see it.

Reactions: inn3rs3lf

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
The amount of quality difference the average person will notice is next to nothing. I’m not much of a card conosuer so to me there is not a huge difference. Someone who is a card technician will say that certain card stocks weave much easier and handle better. It is 100% a personal choice I think, however if you are worried about spending an outlandish amount of money and risk not even receiving your order I’d say what you currently use is fine.

Mar 24, 2019
Idaho
I would agree with what Antonio said here,

"I'll be honest and say that (to me) crushed stock is noticeably different from standard stocks. The cards are thinner and snappier. They feel nicer out of the box but they won't necessarily make your magic better or make sleights easier (except maybe faro shuffles but a broken in Bicycle deck will also faro well). It's a nice luxury but I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary. It's different but it doesn't "make a difference" if that makes sense."

To me, I look at it this way, it is all in your comfort level.. How do the cards feel in your hands? While different decks will feel slightly different here and there depending on fit and finish, it really goes to how well you can perform with the deck.. If they feel good in your hand, and you can work with them, that's all that matters to you..

I like a thinner and snappier deck myself.. (crushed stock) But each person has their preference..

Always remember, it's the musician that plays the instrument.. Just my two cents..

Reactions: inn3rs3lf
Mar 22, 2019
Thank you for the input guys. Much appreciated!

Considering I am but a few weeks into this endeavour, I will continue on with the League Backs and see how I progress. Perhaps pick up a custom deck at a later stage when my handling is better and I can perhaps feel a difference. Or if I just want pretty things in my hands :)

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Thank you for the input guys. Much appreciated!

Considering I am but a few weeks into this endeavour, I will continue on with the League Backs and see how I progress. Perhaps pick up a custom deck at a later stage when my handling is better and I can perhaps feel a difference. Or if I just want pretty things in my hands :)
Sounds like a good plan!
When/if you decide pick up a crushed deck, I would highly recommend the Bicycle Elites. They're fairly cheap and they have the same crushed stock as some of the nicer decks. Although I assume the shipping would still be roughly $40, the actual cards are $4 a deck here. I assume that even with the shipping, they'd be a bit cheaper than what you'd pay to have a custom deck (which can be $10-$20 a deck) shipped to you.
That's only if you want to try them though. Like I said, it's not a necessity.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results