Are there things too strong to do?

Nov 23, 2007
NC
There are occasions where something may be inappropriate due to the environment or situation but I'm not sure if too strong would be the way I'd put it.

Are you going to elaborate on what you’re getting at or are you just throwing it out there?

Chris angels show is too "strong" in the bad way pulling a girl in half... U saw the reactions of people watching that not too good.

yea the acting wasnt good

but to the topic. i belive that some tricks can be. when they hit and are on an emotional level. some copperfield stuff is very strong, like his sand trick. it hits people in the heart and brings emotions forward.
other tricks like acrs however dont hit on an emotinal level, unless you can script it to involve someone's personal life.

wounded can be strong but i dont feel that if you do the regular trick, like bleeding, it really hits an emotional level, i feel that it is more of a trick like how did he bleed?

but it depends i guess on the scripting used. and the presentation

Nov 13, 2009
I think so.

I think I know what your saying I remember Michial Ammar talking some about this. I believe he was reffering to a torn and restored card trick. He said he thought that some things could be too visual and therefore the specators have a hard time wrapping their mind around it.

I am not sure about this but perhaps a good analogy would be that some times in a movie they have to dull down the special effects to give the movie a feel of realism so I think that there are effects that, though they are rare, could be too visual. I am really not sure though.

Thanks,

Christian

Nov 27, 2009
I do think there are effects that are too strong, but maybe I'm confusing strong with perfect. For example, a friend showed me a version of "Here Then There" that was so perfect that I didn't even realized what had happened for a minute. I've also see a version of the same trick where both cards are signed. That was really strong, almost too good.

Sep 3, 2007
There is a quote by Ed Marlo in one of Mike Power's books. Paraphrased on the basic idea of triumph: "There are two things splitting your attention, first that the cards sort themselves out. And then that the selection is different from the spread."

Sep 24, 2007
Maybe it's just my wicked mind, but in the other day I was thinking in the shower- what would prove beyond a doubt that i have magic powers?

And I thought and thought and then I figured it out.

I would kill someone on the other side of the world by conducting a ritual. The spectator could choose a person and time of death, and at the moment that they chose the person would die.

and it was so easy too
the methodology is all there

And then I thought: no. you cannot do this. This is too powerful.

May 31, 2008
Maybe it's just my wicked mind, but in the other day I was thinking in the shower- what would prove beyond a doubt that i have magic powers?

I would kill someone on the other side of the world by conducting a ritual. The spectator could choose a person and time of death, and at the moment that they chose the person would die.

and it was so easy too

"And then I thought: no. you cannot do this. This is too powerful."

It's also illegal and wrong, just saying.

If I really had magic powers, I wouldn't waste time performing for people, I'd be ending world hunger, creating world peace, and turning One-dollar bills into 100 dollar bills.

There are effects that are way too powerful, with Wounded, the right presentation could really terrify some people. I almost never perform the name version of Stigmata because of how powerful it is (I still do sometimes though). Just be careful.

Sep 24, 2007
Hmm. Well you wouldn't have to do anything illegal to accomplish the effect. You wouldn't even be killing anybody. It's an illusion, but a powerful one to say.

May 31, 2008
Hmm. Well you wouldn't have to do anything illegal to accomplish the effect. You wouldn't even be killing anybody. It's an illusion, but a powerful one to say.

Definitely too powerful, but also sick. Not calling you sick, but a magician who would actually perform this would not be well-liked by his spectators. I mean, they want to see us pull a freakin' rabbit out of a hat, not end a guy's life!

Ok, I'm done, no arguments asked for or given to.

Dec 18, 2009
Been playing a few too many video games. "Killing people," is not good for your Karma.

Peace.

Karma is a hindu belief. Don't bring up religion...

As for the topic I have to disagree. I don't think anything is too powerful to perform. What do you mean by too powerful anyways?

Sep 3, 2007

As for the topic I have to disagree. I don't think anything is too powerful to perform. What do you mean by too powerful anyways?

Karma is just an example. I thought killing people is bad in any religion. You think I was bringing up religion when I said "Karma?" Jesus, that is weird!

Sep 1, 2007

and it was so easy too

Docc Hilford beat you to this idea by about a decade, give or take. Band of the Hand booklet, Murder by Mail effect. He said himself that he only performed it a few times and then never performed it again.

Because you lot can't be trusted to control yourselves?

Sep 3, 2007
Docc Hilford beat you to this idea by about a decade, give or take. Band of the Hand booklet, Murder by Mail effect. He said himself that he only performed it a few times and then never performed it again.

Just the idea is pretty queer. Strange, to think of killing someone with magic. Just to make the point clear. Most specs don't like the idea of dying from magic, or killing by magic. Too Much.

[Edited] However, I know your style steerpike and think you have more to add to the idea.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results