Art of Astonishment (DVD) by Paul Harris

The Art of Astonishment
Pieces of Strange to Unlease the Moment
by Paul Harris

Overview

I got this in a Promo a while back. I have nothing to do, so I thought I'd review it. I'll give you the description of the trick, My humble opinion, difficulty, and the overall rating.

Quality: The quality of the Dvd is good. It's not great, but it's good enough that you can see what's going on. For some reason they decided to put some parts in black and white which got a bit irritating. 8/10

Layout: The dvd first shows you a performance of the trick on an audience inside of someones house. There are 2 women who are the most annoying people I have ever seen in my whole life. They wre so annoying I sometimes had to forward past the performances.

After that it shows how the effect affected the audience. It has clips of the speectators talking to each other and bragging about the effect.

Paul then goes and explains the effect. After he is done there is a Q:A session with (I'm guessing) other magicians. This is a really helpful section because some of the question might be on your mind and the other magicians might ask it for you.

Teaching

Paul Harris is a great teacher. He goes over everything well enough and there is a very helpful Q:A session which was talked about above. 10/10

Tricks

Unshuffling Rebecca: A in the hands self-working Triumph. This is my 2nd favorite thing on the Dvd. It is now my favorite Triumph routine and it is really visual. It's almost self working. A beatiful trick that is easy. 10/10

Backlash: This is a signed card to pocket with a little suprise at the end. It's an average trick. With the right presentation this could get great reactions. The annoying idiotic woman spells her name wrong on the card on this one. It's not that difficult, but will take some practice. 8/10

Angel Case: This is a utility gimmick which can be made to switch small objects. Paul gives you a cool routine to use the utility. I haven't made one, and it will take about 10-20 minutes to make. The routine is very easy and fun. 8/10

Zen and the Art of Boomerang: It's a high tossing catch in the middle of the dec while finding the cards mate and ripping the mate it landed on. Lot going on, but very difficult. It's very knacky and will take a long time to get down everytime. It take a little set-up. I don't like high flying card tricks, but you might. Very difficult. 6.5/10

Flesh: A magically jumping toothpick that teleports from hand to hand. It's a fun trick to do and enjoyable to watch. Pretty easy. I wouldn't do it because I don't like the method, but it's ouut of the box and clever. 7/10

Impromptu Nightshades: Probably the most recognizable trick on the Dvd where you draw glasses on George and then push the ink up and the glasses are now on his head. This takes a small gimmick and can be done with a borrowed bill. It's a reallyl cool method and feels really modern when you perform it. I really like this one. With about an hour of practice you should get this down. 9/10

Buck Naked: A bill scam thingy trick. A great trick or it could be used as a prank. Could be very funny with the right presentation. The method is also very clever like many other tricks on the Dvd. Pretty easy trick. 8/10

The Art of Astonishment: The imprint of a quarter changes from heads to tails on foil. The method is great and it's a very easy trick. The method is also very fun and relaxed. 9/10

Fizz Master: The greatest trick to do with a soda can ever! You make a soda grenade by shaking it and have a completely untouched can. When you open the soda grenade nothing comes out. No splash, nothing. When you open the completely untouched can it explodes. The greatest thing on this Dvd. I have so much fun performing this and is one of the most clever and shocking methods. It's entirely impromptu and can be done with any 2 unprepared sodas. No switches or anything. And best of all: It's self-working! No practice is needed. Just work on some fine presentation and your set. 150000000001/10

Overall:

A great Dvd ecspecially since I got it for free. I don't own the books, but I would still reccomend those over this, but if you want a sample of the tricks, this is a great way to go. I loved this Dvd, but not the spectators.

9/10!!!!!!!!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results