Art of Magic by W:H

Will Art of Magic be sold at T11 as well as E? If not isn't it kind of odd that Wayne would only sell it at E and not at T11? What do you guys think about the product? The trailers look good and Wayne has always produced outstanding products in the past so I am on the hopeful side with this one. Oh yea, I did a search and could not find anything about this product in the forums.

Here is the official info on the Art of Magic:

Wayne Houchin has created one of the most recognizable magic styles in the magic community. He brought his unique style of close-up magic to the hit national television show "Criss Angel: Mindfreak" and his original magic releases (The Quarter Through Soda Can, Stigmata, Ultragaff, Control, Indecent, and Thread) have all become international best-sellers.

In a departure from his usual one-trick format, Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic is a multi-effect performance and instructional DVD that features an in-depth look at the current state of magic. The DVD features interviews with David Regal, Aaron Fisher, Dan and Dave Buck, Joel Paschall, and (of course) Wayne Houchin. The interviews are combined with live performance footage of Wayne Houchin performing both on the street and at The Magic Castle.

Ellusionist is proud to be affiliated with Wayne Houchin for the release of an influential and important project: "Art of Magic".

Keep your ears on... more to come. Talk about it here

WHAT'S ON THE DVD?

Wayne Houchin performs and teaches the following five effects:

1) Wayne Houchin's handling of Dai Vernon's Twisting The Aces. Richard Kaufman liked the handling so much that he is writing it up for the June issue of Genii Magazine.

2) French Kiss - A card transposition effect that happens in the spectator's mouth. Simple and powerful.

3) WH Ring + String Mystery - A piece of string visually penetrates through a borrowed ring. New, unique, practical, and FUN.

4) Match Bite - A lit match is extinguished on your tongue. The magician then bites off the burnt end, chews it up, and spits it back onto the match (similar in appearance to the quarter bite). Impromptu and uses only 1 match.

Candy Scam will not be on this DVD. See W:H post on page 3 for more details.

5) Candy Scam - This effect was originally scheduled for Criss Angel to perform on Mindfreak (Criss also wanted to release this effect as one of his Mastermind Instructional DVD's.) The magician offers to expose a scam that will allow you to get free candy. A borrowed dollar bill is used to purchase candy from a vending machine. The spectator's dollar re-appears sealed INSIDE the candy that they themselves purchase. The spectator opens the candy, removes and verifies their dollar. The presentation is compelling - the method is clever and practical.

5) Carbon Paper - An incredibly powerful effect contributed to AOM by Jay Sankey. The back of a playing card is burned - your spectator FEELS the burn from that card travel through their hand and end up on their signed card that has been between their hands for the entire effect... leaving the originally burnt card completely unharmed. Performed and taught by Wayne Houchin.

The documentary and instructional portions of this DVD attempt to capture a modern look at the Art of Magic through personal anecdotes, advice, and live performance. The interviews touch on everything from discussing the current divide between the old generation of magicians and the new "YouTube" generation, advice for beginners, and why magician's fail. The effects taught are new effects (with the exception of Twisting The Aces) that are practical and suitable for both beginners and the intermediate student.

Available on DVD and Download - $34.95

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Wayne went out on his own and no longer does projects for Theory 11. So when creating his Art of Magic DVD, he was going to release it through himself and distribute it through Murphys which then distributes it to all the magic shops. Well E heard of the project and worked out a deal with Wayne and Murphys to make it so E will have the exclusive release for a certain amount of time. So T11 may get it in the future, but right now E will be the only store that has it.

Overall, I'm a little disappointed by these effect descriptions. No longer hyped for this. I think I'll pass on this now.

-Doug

Jan 19, 2008
Only 5 items.....3 of which were taught in Genni for like 6 bux. French Kiss is pretty strait forward but like his presentation so its worth it. And the Cand trick seems good.

May 3, 2008
I thought that there were 6 effects as said on the iTricks interview.
aybe he got that wrong. Overall, I'm only excited for the ring and match effects and extra content. There's supposed to be a second volume as well.

Jul 7, 2008
Norway
French Kiss is also the name of a card trick invented by David Stone. I think Wayne should make up another name for his trick.

Jun 1, 2009
Will Art of Magic be sold at T11 as well as E? If not isn't it kind of odd that Wayne would only sell it at E and not at T11? What do you guys think about the product? The trailers look good and Wayne has always produced outstanding products in the past so I am on the hopeful side with this one. Oh yea, I did a search and could not find anything about this product in the forums.

Here is the official info on the Art of Magic:

Wayne Houchin has created one of the most recognizable magic styles in the magic community. He brought his unique style of close-up magic to the hit national television show "Criss Angel: Mindfreak" and his original magic releases (The Quarter Through Soda Can, Stigmata, Ultragaff, Control, Indecent, and Thread) have all become international best-sellers.

In a departure from his usual one-trick format, Wayne Houchin's Art of Magic is a multi-effect performance and instructional DVD that features an in-depth look at the current state of magic. The DVD features interviews with David Regal, Aaron Fisher, Dan and Dave Buck, Joel Paschall, and (of course) Wayne Houchin. The interviews are combined with live performance footage of Wayne Houchin performing both on the street and at The Magic Castle.

Ellusionist is proud to be affiliated with Wayne Houchin for the release of an influential and important project: "Art of Magic".

Keep your ears on... more to come. Talk about it here

WHAT'S ON THE DVD?

Wayne Houchin performs and teaches the following five effects:

1) Wayne Houchin's handling of Dai Vernon's Twisting The Aces. Richard Kaufman liked the handling so much that he is writing it up for the June issue of Genii Magazine.

2) French Kiss - A card transposition effect that happens in the spectator's mouth. Simple and powerful.

3) WH Ring + String Mystery - A piece of string visually penetrates through a borrowed ring. New, unique, practical, and FUN.

4) Match Bite - A lit match is extinguished on your tongue. The magician then bites off the burnt end, chews it up, and spits it back onto the match (similar in appearance to the quarter bite). Impromptu and uses only 1 match.

5) Candy Scam - This effect was originally scheduled for Criss Angel to perform on Mindfreak (Criss also wanted to release this effect as one of his Mastermind Instructional DVD's.) The magician offers to expose a scam that will allow you to get free candy. A borrowed dollar bill is used to purchase candy from a vending machine. The spectator's dollar re-appears sealed INSIDE the candy that they themselves purchase. The spectator opens the candy, removes and verifies their dollar. The presentation is compelling - the method is clever and practical.

The documentary and instructional portions of this DVD attempt to capture a modern look at the Art of Magic through personal anecdotes, advice, and live performance. The interviews touch on everything from discussing the current divide between the old generation of magicians and the new "YouTube" generation, advice for beginners, and why magician's fail. The effects taught are new effects (with the exception of Twisting The Aces) that are practical and suitable for both beginners and the intermediate student.

Available on DVD and Download - $34.95

I'm a little upset that this is being issued by E and not T11, but I have a solution. I have Photoshop so I'm going to rework the cover when I get it, replacing the E! logo with the T11 one.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
why's it matter where its being sold? its pretty much all the same price and shipping. Its wayne's choice and the only real way it effects us is a different style of editing and film on T11 projects and on that note id like to say Andrei has done a really good job.

Jan 19, 2008
I thought that there were 6 effects as said on the iTricks interview.
aybe he got that wrong. Overall, I'm only excited for the ring and match effects and extra content. There's supposed to be a second volume as well.

Buy Genni and save 30 bux. But seriously im dissapointed a lot was done in Genni but will still end up getting this.

D

Deleted member 2755

Guys, check out the blog on E. They uploaded an interview with Wayne. My want for this DVD rose up again after listening to it. The focus of this DVD is not the effects on the DVD. It's actually magic and its current state. The documentary section is about an hour in length. To illustrate the points in the interviews, 6 effects having to do with the points talked about are taught. So not all is lost. Actually this DVD just got a little more interesting for me. Listening to Wayne's interview and you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Doug

May 3, 2008
Guys, check out the blog on E. They uploaded an interview with Wayne. My want for this DVD rose up again after listening to it. The focus of this DVD is not the effects on the DVD. It's actually magic and its current state. The documentary section is about an hour in length. To illustrate the points in the interviews, 6 effects having to do with the points talked about are taught. So not all is lost. Actually this DVD just got a little more interesting for me. Listening to Wayne's interview and you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Doug
That's the only reason I'm interested. There seems to be a lot of entertainment value and lessons to be learned from it.

May 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Doesn't Matter

It doesn't matter where he sells it. Why would anyone care. Danny Garcia even said this himself in a recent interview. Sounds like it will be a good DVD. Can almost guarantee it's more interesting than Dan and Dave's Ultra Boring presentations.

Nov 8, 2007

After reading the description I came up with my own method for the plot. Simple set up, and there's only one move in the actual performance. I'll be curious to see if it's the same method as Wayne's. Very cool plot.

Overall sounds like a good DVD, but I just bought the recent copy of Genii for $6 so I already know 4 out of the 5 effects on the DVD. And $35 is a steep asking price. I'm sure it will be a great DVD--all of Wayne's material has been so far--but I might hold off on this one for a while.

Sep 1, 2007
After reading the description I came up with my own method for the plot. Simple set up, and there's only one move in the actual performance. I'll be curious to see if it's the same method as Wayne's. Very cool plot.

Overall sounds like a good DVD, but I just bought the recent copy of Genii for $6 so I already know 4 out of the 5 effects on the DVD. And $35 is a steep asking price. I'm sure it will be a great DVD--all of Wayne's material has been so far--but I might hold off on this one for a while.

If you're interested in that plot, check out Oliver Meech's solution on the Plot Thickens book.

May 4, 2009
According the Wayne Houchin interview on the Ellusionist blog, there are SIX tricks!

Candy Scam is number six, and it sounds awesome!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results