Basics

Nov 28, 2007
D.C. Area
I'm looking for a very good dvd teaching the basics of magic. I'm leaning towards Born to Perform with Oz Pearlman. Anybody else have any good dvd's you want to suggest. Thank you.

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm looking for a very good dvd teaching the basics of magic. I'm leaning towards Born to Perform with Oz Pearlman. Anybody else have any good dvd's you want to suggest. Thank you.

Step away from Oz Pearlman, slowly... perfect!

Now goto the penguin search bar and type in "Royal Road to card magic book" or "royal road the card magic dvd set".

That should do ya better, I am watching you :cool:

Nov 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Royal Road and Born to Perform are both very good but i perfer the visual teaching over a book (atleast i did when i first started magic, now im getting better at books) and the royal road DVD set is a bit on the pricey side. Personally id pick up Royal road the book and Oz pearlmans born to perform :D.

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
Step away from Oz Pearlman, slowly... perfect!

Now goto the penguin search bar and type in "Royal Road to card magic book" or "royal road the card magic dvd set".

That should do ya better, I am watching you :cool:

Any reason why you don't suggest Oz Pearlman's born to perform though?

Sep 1, 2007
I got a perfectly good start from Greg Wilson's "Double Take" DVD, and from there I started working my way through the card college books. Royal Road is cheap, which stands in it's favour.

The ellusionist dvds are okish - they have the appealing production values but quite honsetly come up lacking as a resource. I think that if you get the E DVDs then you'll end up getting one of these recommendations later on, but the reverse probably isn't true. I've never seen the Pearlman DVD and quite frankly I've heard enough about it to know its not worth the bother.

Ellusionist CC1 and CC2 and Ninja are ok..... but you rather go for more in depth sleight of hand training guides... Ellusionist provides you will some hard hitting effects and good explainations but the better option is books, whicdh provide you with hundreds of sleights and tricks. Look for some books by Dover, etc. Royal Road or Expert Card Technique. Don't worry everyone finds learning of books hard at the start but its always nice to have a new experience!!

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Any reason why you don't suggest Oz Pearlman's born to perform though?

Ya, as a beginner, you spend your money on alot of stuff, it is the process of picking and choosing what uyou like and what you don't like. On royal road to card magic, you leanr everything that is taught in born to perform plus more.

It is just like the saying, a better bang for your buck.

Jan 27, 2008
Well, other than presentational skills and showmanship skills, almost all legerdemain have no relevance towards each other at all. You could really learn in any order you want to.

You know what MY first DvDs were? NINJA 1, NINJA 2, and KARD KLUB. I gained decent-mastery over the pass long before I mastered the overhand shuffle. Why? Because the overhand shuffle and the pass has no relevance in method and many other sleights are like that too. It is extremely rare to come upon a sleight that is dependent on other sleight.

However, you'll still want to stick with the beginner materials as, the things like the pass take a very long time to master. However, the overhand shuffle controls is something that can be learned in a few days and you can already use that sleight for a multitude of tricks, effects, and routines, like, the Thought Speller trick in RRtCM.

If you encounter a DvD that teaches legerdemain but it says it's more intermediates and up, DO NOT BUY IT because, most likely, it'll require that you already have good knowledge of a wide variety of sleights and techniques.

If you want to learn one of those "One-Hit Wonder" effects, please, go buy it and learn it. It will (if it doesn't, it SHOULD) teach you everything you need to know to master that effect.

If you see a DvD you like with a "beginner" tag on it that you like, then go ahead and purchase as it should teach you everything.

Now, if your going to learn cards, I'd highly recommend that you purchase the Card College Series or even just Volume 1. It is so easy to learn from that book. It's like an english professor is teaching you magic on paper. The eloquence and the ease-of-learning is far better than any other book out there on magic. Please, trust me. Get that book.

Also, ever since I read a few chapters of Card College, everyime I open an old book to read and learn about techniques, it is SO muche easier to read because you'll have understand the lingo and termonologies for magic, you'll know exactly how each part of each finger is referenced, and you'll know which part of the deck is being referenced.

Card College really is a small investment for your magic career. Do yourself a favor and get that book.

However, if you prefer to learn more visually, then go ahead and get either Born to Perform, In the Beginning There were Coins, Crash Course 1, Mpdern Coin Magic DVD SET, and a few others.

..:Z:..

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results