Battle tournament to decide next theory11 artist?

Feb 17, 2008
hey guys,

i know its far-fetched, and the idea may very well have been thrown around already, but it just kinda hit me. what if we took the battle system, and created a tournament bracket with however many ppl, and the winner of the tournament was made theory 11's next artist. idk how do-able this actually is for the theory 11 staff, but it would be really cool to see the next artist come from amongst our ranks. here are a few ideas:

-tournament can involve a certain number of top rated battlers, or everyone on the site

-each round can involve a different theme (impromptu, flourishing) maybe there are seperate brackets for magic and flourishing like in the arena? (this idea i know was thrown around by someone trying to create a tournament)

-there can be SNC's and the winner can get a bye round or get to choose their opponent or the next round's theme

-all voting is done by either current theory 11 artists or ppl not in the tourny. at a certain point all of the voting could come from the artists (kinda like an american idol deal i guess? and i know thats asking a lot of the busy artists) and voting periods are shortened to 1-3 days

-the whole thing kind kinda get played like a reality show (like next food network start, except its next theory 11 artist)

i kno this is a long post but i really really like the idea, and wanted to kinda get some ideas out to show it could happen. anyways, i would love to hear ur guys' opinion on this if u wood be interested or not. idk who would organize the thing. i would ESPECIALLY like to get the opinions of some artists and T11 staff since this involves them more than anyone.

thanks for reading,
ryan

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
I don't know about you guys, but I don't want some 13 year old producing stuff for this site -Since the majority of us are... Teens.

-Eugene

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
Age doesn't matter. Ask CK or JB that. I won't mention names but they'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Answer this....
Okay, so you're like what... 10..? maybe 11..? (okay I know you're older than that ^.- just messin' with ya)
Do you have something mastered and worth publishing...?
Look, most of us here didn't start when we were 3 months old like CK and JB....
and maybe even you... The art is developed enough. The basics are laid down. Most of us here have been into magic from 3 months to 1-3 years.
IMHO -I REALLY doubt someone, who has little knowledge, would make something revolutionary...-AND continue to do so.
The artists today made revolutionary things at a young age because the art wasn't developed to a certain degree.

-Eugene

Sep 1, 2007
Having the forums battle it out to be a Theory 11 artist would be like picking a high school teacher out of the winners of a spelling bee.

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
I mean, seriously.... How many of you would like ME to become an artist..?
None of you...?
-That's what I thought...

-Eugene

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I think it's a stupid idea. I like the idea of the next theory11 artist being from the forums, but it should be someone chosen for their awesomeness, not because they won some silly tournament. :rolleyes: But, I think it would be fun to have another magician's tournament- just not for something like this. Keep the ideas coming, though!

Answer this....
Okay, so you're like what... 10..? maybe 11..? (okay I know you're older than that ^.- just messin' with ya)
Do you have something mastered and worth publishing...?
Look, most of us here didn't start when we were 3 months old like CK and JB....
and maybe even you... The art is developed enough. The basics are laid down. Most of us here have been into magic from 3 months to 1-3 years.
IMHO -I REALLY doubt someone, who has little knowledge, would make something revolutionary...-AND continue to do so.
The artists today made revolutionary things at a young age because the art wasn't developed to a certain degree.

-Eugene

Well, I have invented a trick that Richard Kaufman, Aaron Fisher, Joshua Jay, Michael Ammar, Mark DeSouza, and many others liked. In fact, it's a brand new principal in magic. Murphy's was actually interested in it...

Also, I hate to break it to you Eugene, but there was originally going to be another artist here at Theory11 that is currently 14 years old...

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
Well, I have invented a trick that Richard Kaufman, Aaron Fisher, Joshua Jay, Michael Ammar, Mark DeSouza, and many others liked. In fact, it's a brand new principal in magic. Murphy's was actually interested in it...

Also, I hate to break it to you Eugene, but there was originally going to be another artist here at Theory11 that is currently 14 years old...

Alright.... YOU become an artist then...
Make stuff for us.
Please.

-Eugene

I'm just saying... MOST 13-14 year olds, don't do that well. MOST of us have been doing the art for around a few months -to a few years. Unlike you, who has been doing magic for 1000 years -and a legend in the art that hasn't even hit puberty, most of us arent like you...

Alright.... YOU become an artist then...
Make stuff for us.
Please.

-Eugene

I'm just saying... MOST 13-14 year olds, don't do that well. MOST of us have been doing the art for around a few months -to a few years. Unlike you, who has been doing magic for 1000 years -and a legend in the art that hasn't even hit puberty, most of us arent like you...

Eugene,

I am 13 years old and have been doing magic for about 1.6 years. Also, I'm no legend at all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results