Be honest what is it / two card monte - presentational ideas

Apr 6, 2018
Hello,
i perform this trick and I'm petty sure we can all agree that it's a modern classic that always gets good reactions, however I'm looking for a better way to present it, David Blaines 3 card monte theme is good but doesn't at all resonate with my audiences and Joshua Jays presentation revolvs around the theme of misdirection which I don't really like,
what do you guys say when performing this trick, any cool themes, scripts, random ideas?
Thanks!

Jul 26, 2016
The coolest themes, scripts and ideas are the ones we create ourselves just by working with a trick and using our imaginations. Because nothing anyone else has come up with will compare to something that is naturally and uniquely us. That being said, what works best for me personally, is to come up with an entertaining story - usually centered around something that happened to me or that I personally witnessed. Of course, the stories are usually pure fiction, but if it's good, they don't care.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The coolest themes, scripts and ideas are the ones we create ourselves just by working with a trick and using our imaginations. Because nothing anyone else has come up with will compare to something that is naturally and uniquely us.

Gold^^^

P.S. If you're having trouble finding a personal story to relate it to, go do some "research" and find a dumb/cool story from history. We have over 4000 years of humans being dumb to work with. I'm sure you'll find something.

And if all else fails, make something up! Tell a story!

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Jun 18, 2017
Start with the effect. What is happening? How is it happening? Why is it happening? How do you want the audience to think it happens? Do you want them to think it’s something different?

The classic with that effect is a gambling theme. Oz Pearlman does it as a memory test in order to reduce the challenge aspect (although you could argue then that the ending makes no sense...)

I’m currently going through all my main effects doing the same thing as you are and I have purposely left this trick for the same reason for now - when I get round to it I’ll have more input.

Reactions: SamJ3
Apr 6, 2018
Loving all the imput guys, thanks very much, i'm currently writing a first draft script for this trick now, will post when i've finished, more tips and ideas are welcomed :)

Apr 6, 2018
So I created two almost identical first draft scripts, not claiming these to be completely original but I'd like to know which one you prefer and advice for improving.

First one: Test of focus

Now you guys, seem like a pretty observant audience so I wanna try something, a quick test of focus

But since we’re doing magic this is actually a magic test, look, we’ll use these top cards

Here is the queen of spades, could you hold your hand out like this for me, and take that card and hold it like that, perfect.

If I were to ask you what that card was, what would you say?

“queen of spades”

The queen of spades right, yeah, you can check if you like

Pretty simple, but don’t worry, I’ll make it harder, let’s take this similar card the king of spades and take that one instead, without looking this time, what would you say is in your hand?

“king of spades”

And you’d be right! That was just a warm up,
Here’s where it gets a little hard, I’ll put both the king and queen in your hand… watch closely (switches their positions a few times) what do you think is on bottom

“queen/king”

OK, if this was a regular test of focus you’d be right, but I told you… this is a magic one and what you might not have paid attention to was me changing your two cards, turn them over

Apr 6, 2018
Second one: Memory test

Now you guys, seem like a pretty observant audience so I wanna try something, a quick simple memory test

But since we’re doing magic this is actually a magic memory test, look, we’ll use these top cards

Here is the queen of spades, could you hold your hand out like this for me, and take that card and hold it like that, perfect.

If I were to ask you what that card was, what would you say?

The queen of spades right, yeah, you can check if you like

Pretty simple, but don’t worry, I’ll make it harder, let’s take this similar card the king of spades and take that one instead, without looking this time, what would you say is in your hand?

And you’d be right!

Here’s where it gets a little hard, I’ll put both the king and queen in your hand… watch closely (switches their positions a few times) what do you think is on bottom

“queen/king”

Nice, if this was a regular memory test you’d be right, but I told you… this is a magic one and what you might not remember was me changing your two cards, turn them over

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
You lost me at the word "test" -- nobody likes to take a test.
True, but I actually like these idea's our guy through out here. He let's the audience be correct in their guesses, or at the very least given them the impression that they're right, before hitting them with the twist. It's far superior them going "wrong! They're now aces!", or what have you.

Other than that, I think what @Al e Cat Dabra said about centering the presentation about a personal experience is the best way to go.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results