Becoming famous with extraordinary

Jan 3, 2008
Hi there,

I am doing magic for quite some time now and people remember me. I was interviewed, showed on TV.

But what is a step torwards becoming famous? Has anyone reached that? What could be the formula?

Thanks for your time,

Tomas Simkus

Sep 1, 2007
Since only the minority is actually giving practical advice, let me try to offer something useful.

Build up a reputation for a particular quality. For David Blaine, he started build a rep based on being mysterious. Criss Angel started out being outrageous. David Copperfield cultivated an image based on extravagance.

You want to find one distinctive facet of your personality and play it up. Court attention at all times and let this facet shine through.

Mar 16, 2008
Melbz
Its important to be yourself. Don't be a fake. Love yourself, caress yourself, embrace yourself like theres no tommorow.

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Here's what David Blaine said when I asked him this...

"It's just a matter of knowing what you want, and going out and getting it."

Jan 3, 2008
Since only the minority is actually giving practical advice, let me try to offer something useful.

Build up a reputation for a particular quality. For David Blaine, he started build a rep based on being mysterious. Criss Angel started out being outrageous. David Copperfield cultivated an image based on extravagance.

You want to find one distinctive facet of your personality and play it up. Court attention at all times and let this facet shine through.

Thanks, this made think a bit. I do not know how to get famous in America, but in my country it is quite a problem, because as someone mentioned there are many suckers out there.:)

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Just like everyone else has stated, there is no one way.

There are two ways in which magicians become famous in their own right, by being able to perform well and by being able to create well.

There are a few people who are in the middle, kind of good at both, or really good at both.

But take the earlier examples of David Blaine, David Copperfield and Criss Angel-All great performers in their own right (and they have probably created or helped create magic for their shows/routines) They're famous for their ability to do magic though.

Then there are people like Chris Kenner, Wayne Houchin, Daniel Madison, (heck) Lennart Green, Dee Christopher...etc.

The magic community knows these names well...but most laymen have no idea who you're talking about. Take my girlfriend, I was re-watching the TED videos that were news posts, she asked who I was watching, I said 'Lennart Green' and she said 'who?'...all I said was 'Watch'.

There's no point in trying to explain to laymen that there is an entire slew of underground magicians that do magic for the love of magic, not to be world-wide famous, but to make a good (semi) honest living.

Anyway-I'm not going to go through and edit, Gut instincts are usually the best, I apologize if anything was misspelled.
thanks, and I hope it helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results