Been Feelin Down For A While... Help?

Oct 11, 2007
I've been down for awhile becuase my mom told me to do something with magic and cardistry besides staying in my room and doing in front of a mirror. They just don't understand that I'm trying to practice and I perform every day too. I get jobs occasionally as well. But no one wants to hire a 15 year old stage magician. How should I deal with this situation. Anyone that has been here that can help?

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
I rarely practice magic or perform ever since I started cardisry... But back when I was still into magic, I would spent countless hours in front of a mirror as well :D

I know it's difficult for a 15-year old to find a job in this area, but the best thing you can do right now is just perform to your friends or any random people in the public to build some self-confidence, experience, and develop your performance style. Even show some effects to your mom once in a while. And when she's totally freaked out, tell her "All that time in front of the mirror paid off" :)

-Garry

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I've been down for awhile becuase my mom told me to do something with magic and cardistry besides staying in my room and doing in front of a mirror. They just don't understand that I'm trying to practice and I perform every day too. I get jobs occasionally as well. But no one wants to hire a 15 year old stage magician. How should I deal with this situation. Anyone that has been here that can help?

hey man. While I don't have experience in that area, the only thing I can say is that if you love it, like me, then keep doing your thing. Keep pushing yourself. You can use it as motivation; not to where you want to prove your mom wrong or anything but prove it to yourself.

I am 25 years old and my friends think I'm lame because I love magic. Today, actually, I decided I'm going to work harder and get better. I probably won't show them my magic because honestly they don't deserve it. But I'm going to do it to show myself that I am capable...if that makes sense.

I wish you all the luck and know that you can do it. Wait a few more years and your opportunities will come.

You're copping out of opportunities if you're using your age as an excuse for not getting work. I would actually argue that adults prefer seeing younger acts. It's more entertaining to watch a kid excel in a grown-up talent. You should capitalize on your youth and advertise it seriously. I'm sure you'd get more bookings for birthday parties and private engagements. I know kids who actually got full-time restaurant gigs, because they pursued the management and used their age to their advantage. I've also seen some very, very successful buskers no older than 13. They would get so much bank when they passed the hat, simply because the audiences thought they were cute, entertaining acts.

Follow your mom's advice. Get out of your room and start working. Think creatively. Get a gig and have some fun.

RS.

Sep 1, 2007
She's right. Just like if you played piano, you'd want to have a recital, you should do the same for your magic. It's not a work of art until you have an audience...

Consider talent shows, Bar Mitzvahs, local and community fairs and events, etc. Make an effort to put yourself out there, even if you're doing magic for free.

Oct 11, 2007
You're copping out of opportunities if you're using your age as an excuse for not getting work. I would actually argue that adults prefer seeing younger acts. It's more entertaining to watch a kid excel in a grown-up talent. You should capitalize on your youth and advertise it seriously. I'm sure you'd get more bookings for birthday parties and private engagements. I know kids who actually got full-time restaurant gigs, because they pursued the management and used their age to their advantage. I've also seen some very, very successful buskers no older than 13. They would get so much bank when they passed the hat, simply because the audiences thought they were cute, entertaining acts.

Follow your mom's advice. Get out of your room and start working. Think creatively. Get a gig and have some fun.

RS.

You're right. I should advertise my youth. I have seen magicians I know do it but didn't think of it until you mentioned it. Thanks a ton!

May 19, 2008
manchester
I've also seen some very, very successful buskers no older than 13. They would get so much bank when they passed the hat, simply because the audiences thought they were cute, entertaining acts.

this is very true. im 13, I went busking with my brother (who was 9 when we did it) my friend (who was/is 12) and my friends brother/brothers friend (also 9) and we made £25 in two hours or so, that's 50 bucks in 2 hours, I know adults who earn less then that in a "real" job.

and you know what one of the people we performed for said? "you guys are really good, especially for your ages" or something.

then bring home the money (or your share of the money) and show your mum.

Dec 10, 2007
Slovenia (Europe)
It's not about the job that much.
Aim for the experience, perform for friends, friends's friends, family's friends, family friends's friends, all people. Go out on a friday and perform, you will gather a crowd in 10 minutes on a right venue :).

Even if your sleights aren't perfect, just go out. It will teach you so much.

-Seb

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com

Agreed. Get out and do something. The only way to get better is perform as much as possible and learn from your failures and not get discouraged. Mirror practice only gets you so far.

As for age, I have been doing stage magic in bars and clubs since I was 16. (Mind you my parents were supportive and there WITH me as that be the law but still..) Look into local pizza places and family joints where you can work for tips or maybe a bit of trade or small amounts of cash.

Find a place with a stage and do stage shows for tips and again some small compensation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results