Beginner Cardistry Question

Nicholas17

Elite Member
May 28, 2008
Kentucky
I've been doing magic for a long time, and I would consider myself an intermediate to advanced performer when it comes to sleight of hand and misdirection. Over the past few years, as cardistry has turned into something bigger, I've tried on numerous occasions to practice and improve on my skills in that area, but I usually get frustrated with failure, blame it on hand size, etc...you know the drill by now...

I'd like some recommendations on what types of resources are good for someone like me (a beginner) who has toyed with cardistry for years but doesn't feel like he's accumulating much skill. I have The Trilogy and The System. I can't learn well from The System's teaching style. The Trilogy's is great, but for years now (I got it when it was new) I've never been able to get any of the flourishes down.

Here's what I can do relatively well: Sybil, Sybling (Lee Asher's simple false cut), and The Werm. Everything else I've tried I have an incredible amount of trouble with.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Hey mate! First thing's first, Theory11 actually has a separate "Cardistry" section that you could post this in to get more info. I can't move your thread, as my mod powers only extend to the Cardistry section, but I just wanted to let you know for the future.

As for your issue, you need a stronger foundation. I would recommend the "Xtreme Beginnerz" DVD by De'vo - it instructs the less experienced manipulator on a massive number of fundamental moves, techniques and exercises to both keep you limber and increase your skill.

Another alternative would be "Cardistry 101" here on Theory11 by Andrei Jikh. It's less thorough than Xtreme Beginnerz and contains fewer moves, but will also teach you some important basics.

If you would like to pick up Xtreme Beginnerz, you can do so via De'vo's store at: http://www.xtremehandz.com/catalog/item/1177533/2120683.htm

And if you need help with a specific move, feel free to shoot me a PM - I can give you some tips via Skype.

Best,
Vinnie

Nicholas17

Elite Member
May 28, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks! I actually owned Xtreme Beginnerz for a while, but lost it in a flood. It may be something I look into picking up again. I probably do that vertical card shot at least once a day just because it's fun, and I almost forgot that's where I learned it from!

I'll also look into the Cardistry 101, and the separate forum.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Great to hear! XB is a killer resource and worth learning from for sure (sorry to hear about that flood, though!).

If you have any other questions, always feel free to post up or shoot me a PM!

All the best,
Vinnie

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
I actually have to give it to Andrei, Genesis V1 is an amazing resource for beginners in cardistry. Covers all the basics well, and gives you a lot of ideas and room for creativity. I have also definitely found that practicing complex cuts over and over and over does very little in comparison with simply playing with packets and doing your own thing. This goes against what a lot of people think and say... but I feel like cardistry is such an open-ended practice right now, there aren't that many well defined moves when it comes to advanced cuts. It's much more about simply having a good feeling for how the cards move in your hands and where your tipping points and pressure points are, and on that note I think experimentation holds tantamount value.

Sep 1, 2007
No mention of Jeff McBride? For shame.

Seriously, Jeff McBride's Art of Card Manipulation trilogy is about as old school as you're going to get in this medium. There's material on those DVDs that is otherwise rather difficult to come by.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results