Beginner Cold Reading Ressource

Jun 13, 2013
Germany
Hey There,

after doing card magic for over one year I want to move on to mentalism in order to combine card magic and mentalism. I have many reasons why I want to learn cold reading first because I think that it requires some skill and it could be useful in the real life. Correct me if I am wrong cuz I dont have much experiences. I had Osterlinds Series and I did not quite enjoy them. Because I think that the effects might be great but you only can use one pile of cards (maybe with a setup) or one gimmick for one effect. Maybe you have variations but I don't know them.
The best things I know from mentalism are the magicians choice, the center tear and now I would like to learn cold reading. I know it will take long but the earlier I start the better it is.
So I am searchin for 2 advices:
1. Is there a basic cold reading dvd out there? 4
I am from germany and Im 16 so I am not able to learn from books properly. I really enjoyed the Prevaricator by Patrick Redford. I am searching for that type of cold reading.
2. Where do I train these techniques?
Should I use them in real life and see if I can spot the hidden signs or should I walk straight into someone and ask them if I could perform something for them?

Thanks for your advice.
Cheer
Philipp

Sep 1, 2007
after doing card magic for over one year I want to move on to mentalism in order to combine card magic and mentalism.

Well, there's two problems there. One, you only have a single year of experience doing only card magic and no indication that you took the time to truly develop your fundamentals. Two, you're still thinking like a magician, not a mentalist. Mentalism is not the same thing as magic and requires a different mindset, acting skills, and a case of testicular elephantitis.

I have many reasons why I want to learn cold reading first because I think that it requires some skill and it could be useful in the real life.

Useful how?

Correct me if I am wrong cuz I dont have much experiences. I had Osterlinds Series and I did not quite enjoy them. Because I think that the effects might be great but you only can use one pile of cards (maybe with a setup) or one gimmick for one effect. Maybe you have variations but I don't know them.

Again, you're thinking like a magician. Are you referring to Richard Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles? That's mostly mental magic, which is not quite mentalism, but is very commercial.

The best things I know from mentalism are the magicians choice, the center tear and now I would like to learn cold reading. I know it will take long but the earlier I start the better it is.

You need your fundamentals.

So I am searchin for 2 advices:
1. Is there a basic cold reading dvd out there? 4
I am from germany and Im 16 so I am not able to learn from books properly. I really enjoyed the Prevaricator by Patrick Redford. I am searching for that type of cold reading.

Unfortunately, the best mentalism resources are in books.

Fortunately, reading books in a foreign language about a subject that interests you is one of the most effective ways to learn more vocabulary and perfect your grammar in that language.

2. Where do I train these techniques?
Should I use them in real life and see if I can spot the hidden signs or should I walk straight into someone and ask them if I could perform something for them?

The only way to train in cold reading is to actually do it. But you're going to need to read books first. And before that, you're going to work on your fundamentals. If you don't have a copy of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, that's the first thing you're going to get. Yes it's a book. I don't care.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Stick with your magic for awhile and develop those performance skills.

The one thing about Cold Reading is that it's not something you can just learn from a DVD or book, you have to actually go out and constantly use it on "randoms" till you've gained enough experience with it.

Being that you've only done magic for a year.. I would say that you should just stick with your basic card/coin/sleight of hand magic for a good while.

Sep 1, 2007
if you really want to learn it the only resource/book you need is Ian Rowland's book 'The full facts book of Cold reading' its what taught me how to do it.

http://www.thecoldreadingbook.com/

I'm actually going to fervently disagree with that. Rowland is an outspoken skeptic who wrote that book for other skeptics, not for actual aspiring professional readers. He actually tells you that you don't need to know your oracles and can just make crap up on the spot. Anyone even remotely familiar with star signs or Tarot will recognize you as a fraud, and when doing cold reading with oracles, you bet your ass they will know their stuff. For cold reading books, my favorite is Richard Webster.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
I'm actually going to fervently disagree with that. Rowland is an outspoken skeptic who wrote that book for other skeptics, not for actual aspiring professional readers. He actually tells you that you don't need to know your oracles and can just make crap up on the spot. Anyone even remotely familiar with star signs or Tarot will recognize you as a fraud, and when doing cold reading with oracles, you bet your ass they will know their stuff. For cold reading books, my favorite is Richard Webster.

You are correct this is written by a skeptic to make people aware of the techniques used. He makes you aware of these by teaching you those techniques. I agree that he does take a leap of faith saying that you can just make stuff up in terms of terminology ect but in the few cases where i have done a 'reading' to show how it works (obviously without making the person aware at first that im faking it) i have just made stuff up about ora's ect and people have bought it. Whether you agree or not that this is a good teaching resource, which in my opinion it is simply because it has served me well, you would have to agree that for anyone that is interested in this area this is a must read book?

Sep 1, 2007
Whether you agree or not that this is a good teaching resource, which in my opinion it is simply because it has served me well, you would have to agree that for anyone that is interested in this area this is a must read book?

Debatable. I'm a recovering cynic and can no longer read Rowland's words without feeling a twinge of shame for the memories of how I used to be such a rampaging ******* about my atheism. I'm not going to dispute your experiences; I couldn't if I wanted to. Though I will say that I attempted a Tarot reading during a seance at a Halloween party once, making things up as I went along. After the show, I learned several of the guests knew I was overtly full of **** but were too polite to say anything. I never got booked by that family again.

Again, I much prefer Richard Webster. I don't use oracles anymore and instead pass off my readings as a mixture of psychological knowledge and intuition, which isn't a complete lie. Every year I get a little better at reading body language and the subtle signs people reveal in their clothes, speech patterns, mannerisms, etc. Richard devised the Psychometry A-Z system, which is probably the best I've ever come across. After only a few readings, it quickly became my favorite as it is supremely flexible and can be adapted to any oracle, if you ever choose to use one. If you do however, be aware that those trappings are going to draw the shut-eye market like moths to a flame. And if they believe you're makings things up as you go, you won't be getting anymore business from them.

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
Im not claiming to be any sort of expert at all at it, because I'm not and you seem to have a lot more knowledge about it than I do. I very rarely use it in any performance, I simply wanted to learn it because of my hate and disdain towards 'psychics' especially since I have quite a few friends who spend good money on these people and wanted to show that despite their beliefs (that i would never attack) someone who has no psychic powers can achieve the same results, and Ian's book helped me do that.

I think the original poster is asking about this because he has seen and been influenced by performers such as Derren Brown who 'uses' these techniques to achieve what he does. In my opinion, and you may disagree someone like Derren only use's techniques like cold reading as a very small part of his overall arsenal, and his greatest technique is showmanship. By this i mean he dresses up magic techniques and methods with claims that he is cold reading, body language reading ect so well that people fall for it completely and overlook the fact its nothing more than a magic trick. Don't get me wrong I'm sure he does use these techniques to some degree but I do honestly believe it's only a very small part of what he does.

Sep 1, 2007
Im not claiming to be any sort of expert at all at it, because I'm not and you seem to have a lot more knowledge about it than I do. I very rarely use it in any performance, I simply wanted to learn it because of my hate and disdain towards 'psychics' especially since I have quite a few friends who spend good money on these people and wanted to show that despite their beliefs (that i would never attack) someone who has no psychic powers can achieve the same results, and Ian's book helped me do that.

I said the other day that most psychics are largely harmless. The average Tarot reader or astrologer may or may not be aware that what they're doing is an act. As Houdini himself pointed out, a lot of miracle workers genuinely believe the words coming out of their own mouths. I recall hearing of an authoress who had a natural gift for reading body language and until her teenage years believed that she was telepathic.

The psychics to be wary of are known predators like Sylvia Browne, who heartlessly lies to people about things no decent human being ever would and actively practices medicine and law without a license. How she's not behind bars already is something of a miracle, especially since she was convicted some years ago of securities fraud and narrowly avoided prison time. Anyone labeling themselves a psychic detective who can find missing persons should be caned in full public view. And, at the risk of sounding like my old self by disparaging religion, psychic/faith healers are a public menace.

In my opinion, and you may disagree someone like Derren only use's techniques like cold reading as a very small part of his overall arsenal, and his greatest technique is showmanship.

Actually, I've been aware for some time that Derren couches his performances in multiple layers of deception. His greatest strength is his knowledge that he is a professional liar. Something other magicians would do well to internalize a little better. The "honest deceiver" schtick that many are fond of these days, and which I once subscribed to (regrettably), is really just a fancy way of saying, "I think I'm better than you."

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
if you really want to learn it the only resource/book you need is Ian Rowland's book 'The full facts book of Cold reading' its what taught me how to do it.

http://www.thecoldreadingbook.com/

Ask yourself a question. . . how can a guy that's never had to read for real to make a living, write an "in the know" book on the topic?

HE CAN'T!

The Rowland book was written for magicians not Mentalist. . . it's filled with skeptic based B.S. that appeases that crowd and essentially discourages anyone from learning proper Cold Reading/Reading Skills.

Secondly, this is not a "Beginner/Entry level" composition. . . maybe second year study, but certainly not first year. . . . but again, we're looking at a magician encouraging a faulty text. . . one that encourages harassing and baiting hard working people who just happen to be Readers . . . talk about immoral and unethical antics. . .

My Introductory book will give you both, a factual overview as to what Cold Reading is, the difference between being a Reader and doing a Q&A type reading from the stage, etc. It likewise points you to the best beginner's resources;

The Gentle Art of Cold Reading by Lee Earle
The Real Work of Cold Reading by Bob Cassidy
Psychometry from A-Z by Richard Webster
You're a Rainbow by Richard Webster
The Dance by Brad Henderson
The Tarot Reader's Notebook by Ron Martin
The Palm Reader's Notebook by Ron Martin

There's more. . . a lot more but this is the start of the course and roughly, the first 14-16 months worth of foundation study. While you're working on all of this you can prepare for the intermediate & advanced materials put out by Neal Scryer and Jerome Finley (but save your pennies these are $100.00 to $600.00 texts).

Outside of the magic industry you will need to brush up on your Karl Jung and Gail Sheehy's PASSAGES and if you choose the Tarot as an Oracle you'll need to invest in the book "78 Degrees of Wisdom".

BTW. . . this is the short list. I've been doing Readings since the late 1970s and professionally since the mid-80s. I read at least a half-dozen new books on this subject annually. I specialize in Numerology & the Tarot but strongly encourage novices to learn two key areas before venturing into the Oracles. . . learn all you can about Asian Face Reading and Basic Palmistry, you would do well to look into Dr. Sheldon's Samoatotype psychology as well.

Being a Mentalist is nothing like being or learning magic; they are kindred art forms but not one in the same thing. They differ in philosophy and psychological approach -- magicians do tricks but mentalists specialize in how things AFFECT others, using certain kinds of Effects to accomplish this. Our goal is to create believability which is the opposite to what we do when performing magic. Mentalism requires stronger showmanship and acting skills because it leans far more on performance & presentation that magic requires; magic is more theatrical and forgiving while mentalism is palpable and experiential. More than anything Mentalism IS NOT for the weak minded or lethargic; it requires actual study and a fondness for learning; absorbing information. It demands a sense of awareness that is equal if not superior to that of an FBI/CIA Detective. If you lack discipline and want an instant fix, this IS NOT the path you need to consider. Go back and actually learn the foundation tools of magic; the Mark Wilson Course, the Bill Tarr books, Magic & Showmanship and all that other stuff THAT'S NOT ON VIDEO. . .

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results