beginner psychological force

Sep 1, 2010
im just starting out in psychological forces and i don't want to try something too hard straight away. are there any easy beginner psychological forces? i have psychological subtleties 1 by banachek, are there any ones that will work well?

thanks again :)

Feb 4, 2008
Instead of trying to find a "Beginner" Psychological force just learn some basic ones and perform them with an "out." There is a lot of psychology, boldness, and subtlety going into forces like that and some of it you can only really master by trying it out on people. So in short, have an out for when you are just starting out.

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
Yes. If your trying to force a card, lay four out on a table in front of the spectator horizontally, with the card you want to force second from the left from your perspective. Because that is the third card with respect to them they will pick it 9/10 times, or at least that's my guess why. Hopefully this is what your looking for, if its not, my apologies.
Dan

Aug 2, 2011
California
Juan Tamariz has a nice psychological force in his book Five Points in Magic. It is very brief, but I HIGHLY recommend the book to EVERY magician from a beginner to professional.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The best way to is Disposable Colour by Max Maven.
Alternatively you could do something with another more mechanical force and going one ahead.
Whilst you go into the effect with the intention of two revelations you don't get the pure hit of the psychological force.
Use groups then rather asking are you thinking of seven, you can ask who is thinking of seven.
Being a mentalist affords you the ability to missing and still not affecting your overall performance.

Truth be told in the first chapter Banachek explains this in great detail, just read between the lines.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
yeah that's what im looking for, :) ones with outs

Get the Psychological Sudelties (book one) and PAY ATTENTION to what Steve says in the opening pages about how to mask the force in ways that give you an instant out and/or the success or failure don't matter so much, you can just continue with patter that moves things in an alternate direction or else repeat a variation to the first force, etc.

Understand that not everyone has the knack to make these things work, some of us having to work a bit harder than others and too, we find ourselves having to "re-write" the concepts shared in those books. As an example, when working in the Nashville area some years ago, when I attempted to do the Rose force people kept saying "Gardenia" -- it is a cultural and regional oddity that can happen, you just need to pay attention when you are experimenting and keep your own notes as to what the majority of folks do respond with in that it may be a matter of local influence.

As to "outs" don't get too used to having the safety net. I know why people like them but I also know that it sets you up psychologically, to never trust the nuances associated with this kind of method. However, when the force is important I will use an out of some form, frequently (depending on how I want things to look) having more than one such advantage in play. My most common out however, is to simply use a swami, pocket/double-writing in that they are the simplest and most convenient way around things.

Understand that this and ranged force methods are never 100% and depending on how you are using them (I'll assume you're looking at Mentalism) a miss isn't always a bad thing. Mentalists that have misses or near hits tend to be viewed as being more "real" or "genuine" than those that have a 100% (or even 95%) hit ratio. . . but that's a whole different can of worms.

There's a book sold by Hades Publications in Canada, if I recall correctly the author's last name is Shantz and the book is about Contact Mind Reading (Muscle Reading). In his routine outline he refers to this very issue and offers several clever bits that are legit but have a fail-safe built into them. Granted, this pertains to both, the topic at hand as well as learning Muscle Reading, but it may very well help you with some means of overcoming said learning curve.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Both Prae and myself advised you to learn the foundations of mentalism in the other thread regarding a similar topic. And this is highlighted in this thread, you are concerned with results of what appears to be real mind reading, and concered with the results if you miss.

I will echo the same advice here, understand what it takes to be a mentalist first. Then and only then will you be able to perform mentalism effectively. You need to stop thinking like a magician and then the true worth of Banachek's book will be apparent.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
thank you :) i hope im not annoying you with these threads haha

It only gets annoying when you don't listen and keep asking about things for which the answers have already been shared.

Within magic I've known two primary passions with a bit of an over-link on the theatrical side of things in that I've always worked in common to things Bizarre & Macabre even in my days of big stage magic; grand illusion & mentalism however are my specialties -- my passions. My desire to help novices along this path resulted in my writing a series of FREE eBooks that contain extensive lists of reference materials amongst other things. You may wish to avail yourself;

Learning Cold Reading

MENTALISM: Introduction & Resource List

You will find both of value.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results