Being an Underground Magician

Sep 22, 2007
I was woundering what is it that makes Daniel Madison and the rest of the DAP crew "underground magicians"? I mean is it where they preform? How they preform? The techniques they use? Whatis it? No offence to them if its taken the wrong way that im asking but I was just woundering.

Thanx.

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
there was another Thread similar to this one called i think "what clasifies as underground?". I have a post there in which i transfer exactly what Gianni when i asked him that question on facebook.

Sep 2, 2007
"Underground" is to magic what "sex" is to anything, it sells. It's all hype, nothing more.

Jan 28, 2009
Belgium, Antwerp
I was woundering what is it that makes Daniel Madison and the rest of the DAP crew "underground magicians"? I mean is it where they preform? How they preform? The techniques they use? Whatis it? No offence to them if its taken the wrong way that im asking but I was just woundering.

Thanx.

It's simply to avoid that when you say, I'm a magician people answer "can you pull a bunny out of your hat?

now they ask "underground?"

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
The forgotten history of underground magic

Many of the readers here are too young to remember this, but back in the 1940's, it was legal in the southern states and several mid-west and southwestern states to discriminate against street magicians and street mimes. Stage magicians were tolerated, as long as they didn't stray too far from the "sawing a lady in half" -style routines that had become popular on the vaudeville circuit. Stage mimes, of course, were typically shot on sight -- this was before the days when hunting stage mimes required the use of a silencer.

Street mimes had it the worst, as they were often placed into clean, clear glass boxes and left to suffocate in broad daylight on street corners. But street magicians didn't fare much better. Some turned to organized crime for protection, which gave rise to the famous Monte Lords and cross-border playing card smugglers along the Rio Grande -- this is where the term "card backs" originated. Many street magicians died because their cards were cut with all kinds of dangerous fillers.

Some of these street performers managed to escape by way of the Magic Underground -- a string of households sympathetic to the street magicians' plight who conducted these performers to the safety of San Francisco or New York City, where it was easier to blend in, or at least, avoid outright persecution.

Of course, those days are long since gone, what with the ambitious Card Legislation of the mid-1960's. But the legacy of those days remains, and many magicians still perform in the tradition of those underground magicians in honor of their memory.

--Allan

(As a footnote, I'll mention that very few mimes survived those turbulent times, but a few did escape via the very same underground, disguising themselves by using monochromatic face paint other than black and white. You can see tributes to their legacy at shows called "The Blue Man Group".)

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
You guys make it seem like the word 'underground' is everywhere in the magic industry.
But i have honestly only heard it on T11 and obviously D+M.And even then the term doesnt come up alot.
In fact,i here it more only when people ask what it means.
I fail to see it being overused in marketing.
But then again I dont spend hours on end on the computer..

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results