Best book of magic??

Jun 30, 2009
philippines
I would like someone to share on which book of magic is the best among the rest, not just for beginners but for also for itermediate and advance level of magicians... please tell what specific factors makes this book the best...:)

as of now, for me, one of the best is the paul harris' art of astonishment...
defining magic not just an art but as an astonishment to entertain and give happiness to people...:)

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Depends, are you looking for books with effects or presentation? Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz will make you a better performer in general.

Jul 14, 2008
I would have to say Royal Road to Card Magic and I should've bought that when it comes to magic. There is so many materials in there for me to learn. But, hey, that's just my opinion.

oh... i was just asking for which book is the best in your self opinion...:)
Then I would say Roberto Giobbi's masterpiece compendium "Card College" hands down IMHO if you are into card magic like me. I consider all 5 volumes as a continuation of a theme... thus it is one book comprising of 1,000+ pages.

Best regadz,
DOM Kabala :) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
This is the CARD MAGIC forum.

So I'll leave Expert Coin Magic out of it.

I'd have to go with the "best" Card Books (or the ones that I like the most) to be

Cards on the Table by Jerry Sadowitz
Brass Knuckles by Doug Edwards
and
Apocalypse Magazine (all volumes)

Scott.

Sep 2, 2009
For me, "The very best of John Bannon" contains many routines all the more incredible than the other.

Check it out ;)

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
I really like some of the replies I'm seeing in this thread.

I would say that there is no one good book out there. Instead I'll name a few books which I think are great.

1) For beginners in card magic - Royal road and the card college series. They are well written and easy to understand. They also have many good tricks in them.

2) I second Scott Baird's recommendation of the Apocalypse volumes. There is a ton of magic in here, and a lot of it is really well constructed. It is mostly intermediate level stuff. There is also some really hard stuff in some places, but there are also beginner level effects scattered throughout the volumes.

3) Both Erdnase and Expert Card Technique are books everyone should have because they are key works in the history of card magic.

4) Marlo's revolutionary card technique - This is something for those who are serious about improving their technique. It will take a long long time to master the stuff in here, but it is not a book to be ignored for the serious card man.

5) Lastly, the Stewart James volumes. There are three volumes - Stewart James in Print: the First Fifty years and the two volumes of the James File. It is a total of almost 2700 pages (I have read only the first 900 pages). Not all of his magic is practical, but the man had some absolutely brilliant ideas. I like to read it for just the ideas themselves.

6) Vernon's inner card trilogy is something almost all the serious card men swear by.

P.S. I did not go into the books on theory, but others have commented on them.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Stars of Magic - I'm working through it now. It has Dai Vernon's Triumph, Cutting the Aces, Ambitious Card and Slow-Motion Aces; Scarne's Silver and Copper, Carlyle's Homing Card, Daley's Itinerant Pasteboards, Slydini's Flight of the Paper Balls and more. You can't find more classics (in their original form) in one book.

Feb 16, 2010
Obviously your post is very general and has a generic meaning. To explain this to you easier, more books on card magic are printed than any other topic in the world.

Think about it...

Now, back to your question.. What type of material are you looking for? Then again, there will always be the general recommendations such as Erdnase, Royal Road, Card COllege....

Give use a general idea of what you are wanting to learn, and what style of card work.

Sorry to be so blunt, but it's true. I get dozens of people asking me on recommendations for books on card magic. To be honest, I just tell them to go read Erdnase...

As for some good recommendations that will make you a successful and entertaining conjuror, check out Ron Bauer's Private Studies Series. The material inside is very well scripted and thought out. Another book of choice is Revelation. It does not get any better than this.

Also, why buy books? Because you can't beat the SH!T out of someone with an instant download!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
The two books on card which I've gotten the most out of areRobert Giobbi's "Card College vol. 1", and Juan Tamariz's "Mnemonica".

Darwin Ortiz's "Strong Magic" is definitely up there as well.

Sep 2, 2007
Is this true?

I believe he was just trying to make a point. If you take into account fiction, science, or philosphy any one of those destroys magic in production or variety.

To ask which book is the best is the matter of opinion. What may be great for someone might be terrible for someone else.

But if you were asking me, I would say that Derren Brown's "Tricks of the mind" or any of the works of Dai Vernon, can't remember the name right now. I say derren's book because it talks a lot more about the mental aspect of magic as opposed to the moves.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results