Best book of street magic?

Dec 20, 2008
sugarland, tx
hey everyone,

i was wondering what was your best street magic book you have and where to get it. I have a few magic tricks books, but am seeking more tricks. Thanks

shadowlion63~

May 24, 2008
I dont think books have ever really been geared towards street magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 14, 2007
What would make a book about magic a "street magic book?"

Most of the effects I have seen touted or sold as "street magic" are really no different from any of the stuff I have sitting in the 2,000 or so books I have in my library.

What makes a street magic book a "street magic book?"

Brad Henderson

Sep 1, 2007
Most of the effects I have seen touted or sold as "street magic" are really no different from any of the stuff I have sitting in the 2,000 or so books I have in my library.

I think most people are going by a fairly generic definition. Yeah, there is a street magic "Dummies" book. Just as there was a regular "Magic for Dummies." I flipped through them both at Barnes & Noble and for the most part there's not much difference. Though I kind of like the latter better. It's actually better than you would expect.

If I had to take a wild guess, they're looking for books with an assload of impromptu card tricks, a token few coin tricks, and maybe a couple pieces of mental magic.

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
I think most people are going by a fairly generic definition. Yeah, there is a street magic "Dummies" book. Just as there was a regular "Magic for Dummies." I flipped through them both at Barnes & Noble and for the most part there's not much difference. Though I kind of like the latter better. It's actually better than you would expect.

If I had to take a wild guess, they're looking for books with an assload of impromptu card tricks, a token few coin tricks, and maybe a couple pieces of mental magic.

If you're referring to Magic For Dummies as the latter, I agree. I think Magic For Dummies is (surpringly) a great start for beginners. The Idiot's Guide to Street Magic is pretty OK. Jeff McBride contributed alot to that book.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
What would make a book about magic a "street magic book?"

Brad Henderson

People often think about David Blaine's approach, with quick single phase tricks, sparse patter and limited routining when they think of street magic. It is not like a parlour or close up show where you have to transition smoothly between effects and you have to build a routine instead of a collection of tricks. Also, in terms of variety of effects, I think street magic is a small subset of close up magic.

Dec 14, 2007
So, how would a street magic book be different from any other book on closeup, strolling magic? Just leave out the presentations?

Brad

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN
So, how would a street magic book be different from any other book on closeup, strolling magic? Just leave out the presentations?

Brad

I'm assuming it wouldn't leave out presentation completely, but street magic doesn't allow for elaborate presentations anyway.

I guess a book on strolling magic could easily be remarketed as a street magic book and people would not notice any difference.

Sep 1, 2007

Brad

Probably it would have cover art and a monosyllabic title that teenagers and hipsters would describe as "gritty".

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Probably it would have cover art and a monosyllabic title that teenagers and hipsters would describe as "gritty".

Actually yes there is.
I was at barnes and nobles the other day and I spotted "ultimate street magic"
Had a cool looking guy sporting a NEO outfit fanning a deck of cards in a street setting.
Yuh nukka,thats wassup.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results