Best NON-magic books that relate to our craft...

Aug 28, 2010
I have recently been examining "Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Vol. I" by Richard Bandler and John Grinder. Its a GREAT book for anyone interested in suggestion, hypnosis, or the works of such performers as Derren Brown or Luke Jermay. The recent thread posted on the best magic books got me thinking off topic a bit and I figured I would ask the community about this. In your guys' opinion, what are some of the greatest works on staging, acting, body language, suggestion, hypnosis, etc?! ANYTHING that RELATES to our craft that has helped you or may help others...

Jun 10, 2010
Body language seems to be a useful trait in most social interaction areas, not just magic. For this, I'd recommend "What Every Body is Saying" by Joe Navarro. There's a nice acting book out by Dale Carnegie that Mehar recently suggested, that'd also be worth looking into (How to Win Friends and Influence People).

Body language seems to be a useful trait in most social interaction areas, not just magic. For this, I'd recommend "What Every Body is Saying" by Joe Navarro. There's a nice acting book out by Dale Carnegie that Mehar recently suggested, that'd also be worth looking into (How to Win Friends and Influence People).

Some other books that won't necessarily help your magic are:

Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude - Napolean Hill

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff, and it's All Small Stuff - Richard Carlson

Oct 11, 2007
Born Standing Up by Steve Martin is an autobiography about his journey to making it big. If you want to know what it takes to make it, then read this book and learn first hand about what it means to be a performer and the work it takes to get there. An amazing journey and story that magicians can definitely learn from, seeing as how at one point he was a magician himself!

-emagician

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
A newer book that is fantastic is Sleights of Mind by Stephen L. Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde. Really good read and is very eye opening on misdirection and how effectively we can be blinded. Recommended :).

Funny you mention that Book. I'm reading that ALL the way up to West Virginia on my Ski Retreat to pass the time. I haven't cracked it open yet, but I will once I get on the bus immediately. I'm looking forward to an EXCELLENT read, as recommended by many, many people.

Jun 10, 2010
Just a thought, but you can use a lot of history and scientific examples for patter... Not that you have time to go through every historic/scientific book there is out there, but it helps to think of card magic a bit while reading articles pertaining to such subjects in the future.

willtupper

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2009
The Tao of Show Business: How to Pursue Your Dream Without Losing Your Mind , by Dallas Travers

How to Sell Yourself as an Actor: from New York to Los Angeles (and everywhere in between!) by K Callan

The Artist's Wayby Julia Cameron

Any book will spice up your magic. The more knowledge you have the better your performances on an intellectual side.
And for those thinking: "Blah, i´m not going to be a smart performer, i´m a more joking around kind of guy.", check out Tim Minchin(cursing involved, but do check out his channel for a good laugh) http://www.youtube.com/user/timminchin?blend=2&ob=4#p/u/18/uqKvmEb9wpo who does comedy based around the happenings in the world and such. There are also a lot of fine examples of people who are smart/intellectual and do comedy and rock because of it. Also the more you read the more cool ideas you get. Using a story line from a book might come in handy when you don´t have a starting idea of your own. It might drive you towards something which you will eventually love.

But something i read and actually came as handy was "59 Seconds" by Richard Wiseman. Who actually is a magician but this book is a Self Help Book that has Scientific ground.

M.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
You could read the news daily (for free online!) to keep up with current events.

As far as books that aren't magic...The Tipping Point or Blink by Malcolm Gladwell.

Apr 1, 2009
California
What Every Body Is Saying: An Ex-FBI Agent's Guide To Speed Reading People by Joe Navarro
The Skeptic's Dictionary by Robert Todd Carroll

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results