Best/Preferred way to store your silver?

Feb 22, 2017
Hey everyone. I've been a lurker on the magic cafe for years but apparently I need a paid email to post there so here I am! I recently purchased a lovely walking liberty set with a [. I have received a JOL Coin Tidy, and Frank Starsinics Zippered Coin Purse as two options to carry and store them. I am wondering what is the lesser of two evils here. On one hand the tidy keeps them separate so they wont rattle and scratch each other (I'd assume), but is an open design exposed to air and therefore tarnish can occur right? The coin purse is sealed off from air (mostly) but I'm worried about my coins scratching and rattling around in there, especially with a nested coin. I am only looking to make my investment last as I realize they are meant to be used. I just want the safer option to prolong their use and look! Any facts you throw my way would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I've never considered keeping my coins away from air. As far as scratching goes, I've never really paid that close attention to my coins - just by performing magic with them, they're going to wear and tear. Granted, you definitely wanna try to refrain from dropping your silver coins on concrete and other hard surfaces.

I just recently got rid of the first set of silver coins I ever bought. They were walking liberties, and they looked great. Sure, there were some dings here and there, but it wasn't too much. If anything it gave them character. I had them for about 5 or 6 years.

I'm not familiar with the two pouches you mentioned but I did look them up. The JOL Coin Tidy looks neat, but I can just picture the fumbling to get each coin out for a performance. I don't think I'd personally like it. The zippered one doesn't seem bad, just isn't MY personal style.

My recommendation - and the holder I carry with me ever single day - is The Traveler by Jeff Copeland. It's a beautiful holder, I've had people see it laying next to my phone on the bar and start up a conversation because they want to know what it is. It's also got some built in magical capabilities and isn't too expensive.

http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=54205

Feb 22, 2017
I know about the Traveler. I heard that the interior isn't lined and tarnishes the shit out of silver, so that's a no go for me. Also does the traveler hold like 4 halves with a shell flat and so they don't rattle around? Thanks for your input!

Reactions: notsoltd
Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
The inside of it is the soft side of the leather and I don't know about it tarnishing coins. I've had Kennedy silver halves in there since pretty much the day the Traveler released and I haven't noticed any type of wear on the coins from the pouch - they're just as shiny as the day I bought them which for me is a bit unfortunate. I got to see Jeff perform with his Traveler probably a year before it released and his coins are beautiful, it's all he uses.

As far as it holding 4 halves and a shell - I just checked mine and I CAN shake them around, but only a little bit. You should also take into consideration that I generally keep 6 coins and a shell in mine, along with a 7th coin that isn't in the main pouch. Leather wears and stretches and forms, and I've had mine for a while now. 4 coins and a shell will probably be more snug with a new pouch and if you don't add more coins, it should stay that way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results