Best Source of Impromptu Card Magic

Sep 1, 2007
Hey,
I keep finding myself being asked to do a card trick, and usually I have to turn them down because my repotoire lacks impromptu tricks. I know I can do ACR, Two Card Monte, Biddle Trick, but I do those A LOT, and usually when someone requests a trick I have done one of those three tricks to them already. I own the trilogy, and I love it. But the best tricks on it require a set-up(excluding the queens) Is there a book or dvd that strictly teaches impromptu card tricks. By impromptu I mean NO set-up, borrowed deck, that kind of thing. Thanks,
Creep

Sep 1, 2007
Royal Road is a oldie but goodie. Lots of tricks on basic sleights. It will also allow you to start creating your own variations, etc. to fit your personality/performing style. I have come to realize that simple set-ups can typically be done right in front of the spectator and they don't realize what you are doing. To them it appears that you are simply looking through the cards, etc. I set-up Here Then There yesterday right in front of six people without them realizing what I was doing. Shuffled the deck stating that we are going to try something and then performed it. I have also done this before when perfoming Deja Vu by Dan and Dave.

Look into Paul Gordon's books. Nocturnal Creations is a great place to start.

Also, Harry Lorrayne does a lot of impromptu card material.

PM me if you want specifics...not time to list now.

Pj

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
almost any book on card magic has impromptu tricks.
or you could make your own up. But who wants to put all that hard work into making a trick when you can go spend money on DVDs. :p
But seriously check out the books at your library you'll be surprised.
or checkout tricks like stigmata which is wicked, jay sankey also has a lot of impromptu material. its also easy enough to set up deja vu or i think its called the hiffinzer or somthing like that on the spot.
and Tivos are completely impromptu, hand to mouth-impromptu, card across-impromptu,now that i come to think of it they are all basically impromptu except collectors which they show how to get into after the queens which you yourself said is also impromptu.
other tricks. card to pocket, there's a ton on penguin as downloads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Royal Road will teach you quite a bit, I recommend looking into that. Also, you said you own the trilogy, and I find that their simple card to mouth effect is a perfect trick. I usually use it to break some tension as an opener, but I've also used it as a standalone effect. It hits them like a brick wall, and everybody's reaction is just pure... confusion. (This might not be a good option if you're borrowing a deck, of course..)

I also do a card to wallet effect that requires very little slights, though I'm unsure how original my method is. Haha, still, it's very easy and works perfectly. There are tons of effects out there with a plain old deck of cards, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

:)
Peace

edit: I don't think I added any new sources for you originally. If you feel like your tricks are getting old and people want to see something fresh, look into Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment. There is so much in there that I'm sure you can find plenty of new (and strange) effects to present. :)

Nov 8, 2007
Look no further, my friend. Paul Cummins' has two sets of lecture notes available titled FASDIU and FASDIU II ("From A Shuffled Deck In Use"). Nothing but good, strong impromptu card magic you can do on the spot with a shuffled deck.

Something else you may want to consider is Kostya Kimlat's Roadrunner Cull DVD. It will allow you to set-up right under your spectator's noses for the tricks you already know that require a set-up . Also, all the magic taught on the DVD is impromptu. The cull is also just a phenomenal and very versatile move--something that I think might really help you in turning your non-impromptu card magic into impromptu card magic.

Hope that helps.

Happy Magic.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
Well, there are great suggestions here, but if you can pull off a pass and palm, what else do you need to know to make amazing impromptu effects?

===

Get the Royal Road to Card Magic.

And the PDF I'm coming out with within the next few months. ;)

Best of luck,
Ben

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
Get this
By Forces Unseen
GenerationX & HEckler by BriAN Tudor
Thats mostly what I do
And Try Doing Dr.Daley's last trick.(without the MouthGarbage)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results