Best theory books?

Jan 2, 2016
California
I realized that I have an ungodly amount of trick/method books (namely card tricks) and I feel like I already know way too many card tricks. Of course I will continue learning new methods and tricks and practicing them because it's fun and I constantly want to be improving and learning new things.

Anyway, as of recently, I've been looking at the tricks I've been performing for a long time and have been trying to rework my patter and presentation to be more engaging and unique to me.
Recently I've been thoroughly enjoying books more focused on presentation rather than methods. Books like Only Ideas, Scripting Magic, and the Five Points in Magic have (in my opinion) helped me with this.

I've been meaning to pick up Strong Magic and Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz but I was wondering if anyone could provide a list of other

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber. Personally I think it's better than Strong Magic, but you should also read Strong Magic.

The Magic of Ascanio Vol 1 The Structural Concept of Magic - I believe it's currently out of print but I would assume someone will keep printing it, and you can still find copies.

You already mentioned Scripting Magic, but I'm putting it here for emphasis. Both volumes.

The Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook - contains tricks but also a lot of theory.

The Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder

Anything by Juan Tamariz will have good theory but mainly the trilogy - 5 Points in Magic, The Magic Way, The Magic Rainbow (I'm making an assumption on the last one - I haven't read it, but I have it and I assume it will be good)

Anything by Robert E. Neale contains theory and tricks.

Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms

"The Works" by Jamie Ian Swiss - it's a collection of 4 books, 3 he's published before and 1 collection of his reviews. I haven't read the one that's reviews and you'll have to get used to Swiss' writing style but there's good stuff in there.

Our Magic by Maskelyne and Devant - it's old, but the subjects they cover are still argued about online today.

Pure Effect, and Absolute Magic by Derren Brown - they're out of print and often very expensive, but they are good books.

Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger. And anything else by Eugene Burger - there's more tricks in these books than I would prefer, but he also has lots of thoughts on performance and theater.

The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride. This is a collection of articles he wrote, I believe, which look at an act, dissect it, and help make it better. It's very oriented to Jeff's style of performance but again, good stuff.

Not really a theory book, but Nate Staniforth's "Here is Real Magic" has a lot of his thoughts about what magic is and should and could be, from a gigging magician. I thought it was really good, and it's a quick and easy read.

Jan 2, 2016
California
Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber. Personally I think it's better than Strong Magic, but you should also read Strong Magic.

The Magic of Ascanio Vol 1 The Structural Concept of Magic - I believe it's currently out of print but I would assume someone will keep printing it, and you can still find copies.

You already mentioned Scripting Magic, but I'm putting it here for emphasis. Both volumes.

The Alchemical Tools by Paul Brook - contains tricks but also a lot of theory.

The Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder

Anything by Juan Tamariz will have good theory but mainly the trilogy - 5 Points in Magic, The Magic Way, The Magic Rainbow (I'm making an assumption on the last one - I haven't read it, but I have it and I assume it will be good)

Anything by Robert E. Neale contains theory and tricks.

Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms

"The Works" by Jamie Ian Swiss - it's a collection of 4 books, 3 he's published before and 1 collection of his reviews. I haven't read the one that's reviews and you'll have to get used to Swiss' writing style but there's good stuff in there.

Our Magic by Maskelyne and Devant - it's old, but the subjects they cover are still argued about online today.

Pure Effect, and Absolute Magic by Derren Brown - they're out of print and often very expensive, but they are good books.

Mastering the Art of Magic by Eugene Burger. And anything else by Eugene Burger - there's more tricks in these books than I would prefer, but he also has lots of thoughts on performance and theater.

The Show Doctor by Jeff McBride. This is a collection of articles he wrote, I believe, which look at an act, dissect it, and help make it better. It's very oriented to Jeff's style of performance but again, good stuff.

Not really a theory book, but Nate Staniforth's "Here is Real Magic" has a lot of his thoughts about what magic is and should and could be, from a gigging magician. I thought it was really good, and it's a quick and easy read.
Thank you!!!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'll second Maximum Entertainment. It is very practical and useful.

I'd add Designing Miracles to the list. I like thinking about how to design an effect.

Strong Magic is encyclopedic and requires a good performance background (which I know @Antonio Diavolo has) for it to make sense. That said, don't take Strong Magic or any book on theory to be Gospel. Theory books are there to make you think about magic in general and your magic in particular. I disagree with things that Darwin Ortiz says and things that Tamariz says.

I would also add Larry Haas's Transformations. It explains theory and then takes standard effects and gives them unique presentations to illustrate the theory. It is worth its price just for giving you an explanation of how to turn a trick into a presentation piece.

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Jan 2, 2016
California
I'll second Maximum Entertainment. It is very practical and useful.

I'd add Designing Miracles to the list. I like thinking about how to design an effect.

Strong Magic is encyclopedic and requires a good performance background (which I know @Antonio Diavolo has) for it to make sense. That said, don't take Strong Magic or any book on theory to be Gospel. Theory books are there to make you think about magic in general and your magic in particular. I disagree with things that Darwin Ortiz says and things that Tamariz says.

I would also add Larry Haas's Transformations. It explains theory and then takes standard effects and gives them unique presentations to illustrate the theory. It is worth its price just for giving you an explanation of how to turn a trick into a presentation piece.
Thank you Reality One!

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That said, don't take Strong Magic or any book on theory to be Gospel. Theory books are there to make you think about magic in general and your magic in particular. I disagree with things that Darwin Ortiz says and things that Tamariz says.

Repeating for emphasis.

To quote Paul Draper quoting Max Maven, "Read everything."

Absorb and process as much as possible.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results