Better or Worse?

Nov 6, 2007
Ok guys, So I made a new video, 2 new videos actually. I decided I should attempt to do what you guys had suggested. I made to different versions and I want to know which one is better. I also want to know if I'm starting to grasp the concept of what you are advizing me on. And by the way, you don't have to tell me these aren't that great of moves. I know. These videos are not made to show my skill. These videos are made to show you what I understand of the concept of flares. These videos are ment for you to give me pointers on my STYLE.

A-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIw3emb7-OE
B-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQbqjNwv3U

Oct 19, 2007
In a (respected) pathetic way. Which is actually good. I must admit - when I watched it the first (and 2nd) time I laughed. But your style is interesting and should keep going.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
It's better. Good performances of the backpalm. But I have to be honest, with today's generation if you do that in public, people are going to laugh....

But your style is unique and pretty interesting to me.

Sep 2, 2007
It's better. Good performances of the backpalm. But I have to be honest, with today's generation if you do that in public, people are going to laugh....

But your style is unique and pretty interesting to me.
I thought the first video of the vanish was great. Sometimes, gestures can be distracting, and it's better for the effect to speak for itself.

However, as said before, take each critique with a grain of salt, and be yourself. If that's who you and you enjoy doing it, keep it up!

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
A - you were a bit too repetitive for the first part of the effect, simply waving your arms like that once or twice wouldve sufficed. However the vanish was done at a good speed and the production was excellent.

B - now THIS is what I'm talkin about! the added up and down almost like you were "flying" or swimming cracked me up a little bit. once again maybe a bit too repetitive but not really, because it was enjoyable to watch! once again the production was very good.

so here is the best tip I can give you - on your vanishes, don't make such a big deal of waving the card back and forth. Simply reach for the card with your LEFT hand... as soon as your OPEN left hand covers the card, backpalm as fast as humanly possible and continue to follow through with the left hand "grab" of the now nonexistent card. This will create all the attention on the only hand which is seen to be moving... so when you now show your left hand empty the effect will be much greater. Once again, the strength of this vanish comes from the fact that it looks like the right hand never moves a muscle. ***credits*** I learned this technique from watching Xtreme Beginnerz, when Jerry Cestkowski briefly demonstrates some magic. he is THA MAN. if you don't have XB, dude, you MUST obtain it.

also I think you should continue with the kind of "silly" style of flares because gol-dangit I love it. it is seriously hilarious. I BEG you not to consider it "pathetic" or anything negative, just lose your inhibition and ham it up for the camera a little bit!!! as long as you're having fun with it and the viewer is entertained, be as crazy as your imagination can take you! there are TOO MANY people out there that worry about what other people think so they're just doing regular ol backpalms, by adding your 'crazyness' aspect to it you're transcending the backpalming, and now you're not just someone doing card tricks, you're an entertainer! Even without the cards involved I would watch more videos like your very first one!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results