Better way to store your rare cards...

I've been doing this for few months back. I store my my rare playing cards such as 1st ed shadows, my winning deck from T11 Holiday contest 2007, white cents., etc. in a local bank's deposit box.

I left with one of the two keys, because it's mine to keep and the others is theirs. The deposit box requires two keys to open the box.

Has anyone thought of something different?

May 3, 2008
That seems just a little bit extreme to me. I'm pretty sure if someone were to break into your house they would have no idea how much the cards would be worth.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
uhhh... use them? or sell them and buy cards you will use. The only decks i dont use are the one's that are signed, and they sit on display on my mantle. One White Cents signed by Andrei and a Deck of tally's with like 15 signatures on all the cards that im always adding to.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Thats a bit extreme in my eyes.
If im proud of the cards that I have, I would have them on display. Id create a display case as imaginative as possible and do that.
But if not,Id freaking use them. Just for me to play with.
Why have rare cards if your not gonna look at them or use them at all?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I've heard of putting important files in a safety deposit box and even money and credit cards... But playing cards... Really? If somebody breaks into your house they're not going to go

"Hey Marv, This kid has the rare (insert playing cards here). We could make a killing with these on the Black market."
"Shut up, Harry. He'll hear us. Now just put the cards in the bag and we'll make a tree and get out of here."

Apr 26, 2009
Sydney, Straya
I've heard of putting important files in a safety deposit box and even money and credit cards... But playing cards... Really? If somebody breaks into your house they're not going to go

"Hey Marv, This kid has the rare (insert playing cards here). We could make a killing with these on the Black market."
"Shut up, Harry. He'll hear us. Now just put the cards in the bag and we'll make a tree and get out of here."

Or make like a tree and leave :)

Jan 13, 2008
I keep my card collection (Black Ghosts, first and second edition Smoke and Mirrors, etc) in a tub on top of my Armoire, along with my empty alcoholic beverage bottles (well, the nice looking, or rare (i.e., Johnnie Walker Green Label, which has been discontinued), ones). :)

My thoughts: Like others have mentioned, it's not likely that a robber would think to steal a card collection; they're likely looking for jewelry, cash, coin/medal collections, and electronics. Putting them with seemingly worthless empty alcoholic beverage bottles is just icing on the deceptive cake. :)

Sep 1, 2007
mastic, ny
I live right next to a comic book store so I get card boxes and store my decks in there. The ones I have can hold up to like 20 decks a box.

-Sean

May 9, 2008
Or make like a tree and leave :)

It's "make like a tree and leaf". Anyways, he was probably quoting Back to the Future where Biff always screwed that line up. He says stuff like "make like a tree and scram!" or "make like a tree and get outta here!"

I would not suggest putting them in a saftey deposit box. If they get stolen, Home Owners Insurace would cover the price to replace them. Insurance is only like $5 a month, probably less than a saftey deposit box, and it cover all of your possessions for like $50,000.

They aren't worth enough to warrant a saftey deposit box. I could see family heirlooms like coins or jewelery, but not playing cards. They should be displayed like art.

The only good think about a saftey deposit box is that they are kept in an environmentally controlled storage unit and they are protected from light bleaching or sun bleaching.

Jul 13, 2009
Dude plus how do you control the humidity in the box? I mean Rare decks of cards have to be kept in a sealed box that maintains 60-70 percent humidity at all times. You have to check up on your decks making sure they keep their oily luster, fressh scent, and little to no sponge in them. The wrapper when lightly squeezed should crinkle and not crack. I over humidfied some jerry nuggets and they warped like crazy.

Nah I just kid with y'll thats the method to keeping and aging cigars. Moral of the story decks arent fine jewelry, fine parishables, not even luxuries. Keep em in a box and you are good to go.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I think you all misunderstood me.

Let me clarify, "Have you walked into a vault in your local main bank and store your stuff in your own deposit box."

Yes but it was stuff of value. Money, important files and paper work. It just looks silly when they see you putting in a bunch of playing cards. But hey, it's your 5-10 bucks a month to rent that thing out. So if you want to put playing cards in it, go for it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results