Bicycle Ghost

Do you agree with my opinion in this review?

• Yes

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • No

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Got my first deck today.

Backs:
Look horrible, I thought that the back design was going to be printed in a shadowy gray to promote the ghostliness but it's actually boring plain black. It looks very bad in contrast to the white. It would have looked better if it didn't have the badly printed lines, one on each side side, which fade from black to white. This looks awful when looking at a single card, but even worse if they're in a fan. I give the back design 4/10. It failed badly.
If they ever do a second batch they need to take out the fading unconnected lines on each side completely, leaving a thick border of white. Then they need to keep the rest of the current back design, but make the ink that paints it fade from pure black to nothing as you travel farther away from the center. Trust me, that would blow peoples minds.

Faces
Are even worse. Hearts and diamonds are not red, but the same boring black, with the exception of the pips in the corners which are red with black outlines. Speaking of which, why is it that the black outline gets cut off slightly on each side of the pip? I doubt that this is a printing mistake, this seems like a poor design choice, they should have been aware of the printing process. Also, because the hearts/diamonds are black, it throws people off. It is very easy to miscall a heart for a spade if the card is shown quickly, especially if its a court card. Speaking of which. they are another disaster. They took all of the color out of them, and printed them only in black and white. This looks very plain and unattractive. The ace of spades is equally bad. I'm sure the design is nice. I'm sure of this because I saw it in pictures. The problem is that it looks awful on the card itself. Most of the detail is lost, and it's printed mostly in a very blunt, boring black. This is the worst ace of spades I've seen on any deck because it looks like it had aspirations but it failed. I give the face design 3/10. I hope they learned from their mistakes.
If they ever do a second batch they need to actually put some mystery into these. Use at least two shades of gray for court cards, if you want to get crazy make them skeletal. Make hearts and diamonds red, but with a black outline. The ace of spades needs to be redone completely. Clearly the printing press isn't so hot on detail. A simple design needs to be created, and printed using various shades of gray, perhaps fading into nothing at the edges.

Quality of the cards
Is not bad. My deck batch slipped past quality control, the edges are VERY rough. It feels like I'm about to give myself a paper cut anytime I touch them. Other than that the finish if very nice. They cards are a bit on the thick side, but still a little softer compared to my tally-hos. They were very slippery out of the box. Too slippery in fact, it made me realize that I really don't want my cards to be slippery. I tried to do double lifts with them but they would split at a rate higher than my tally-hos because of this slipperiness. I guess if you are into making lots of fans they are great, but for tricks and packet cuts they would be bad. Other than the smoothness I can't tell the difference between them and my tally-hos. Which is a complement-- I guess. The big thing is how long they last, I will have to wait and see. I give their quality a 9/10. I'm assuming that most batches don't have such rough edges, and that the deck lasts at least as long as my tally-hos.

Conclusion:
I bought two decks, and I'm regretting it. I wish I could unbuy these, and get 5 blue tallyhos. They tried to do something fancy with the design and failed. I think mostly white cards are a very good idea, but this specific deck is a dud. The design needs to be largely redone. It should be MUCH more faded. It should also be much more shadowy, and the faces need to be recognizable with a single glance. Until then I will not recommend it over a deck of blue circle back tallys (let alone 2, since 2 are the same price as one of these. I give this overall deck a 6/10. The quality is good, but you can get nearly equivalent quality for less than half as much money. And the design is nothing to look at. It didn't impress me, and it didn't impress anybody I have shown it to thus far. I don't understand how anybody can still like it after looking at it up close.

Recommendation:
Do not buy these. I haven't had a chance to see other custom decks (other than masters), but if I were to assume that they are as cool as they look I would suggest you check out one of those instead. Or buy multiple tallyho and/or bicycle decks. I recommend the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I'd actually say the opposite of what you did. I think they look pretty cool. They just warp like you wouldn't believe, which can become a pain.

i disagree completely i mean they aren't my first choice because the price but i think those cards are great. i do agree that they warp but i have had my cards for probably 4 months and they still do a perfect thumb fan and it even looks cool when done right i enjoy the faces maybe not the most perfect thing for performing because the black and small red on the corner pips for the hearts and diamonds but the style and look i think is amazing

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
You spelled "opinion" wrong in your poll by the way.

Sorry, English is my third language. I wish I could edit the poll.
I didn't say the cards are bad. If you're a magician and have money then you can get them, their quality is good like I said. I just didn't find the design attractive at all. And you really cant argue that the faces on these are good.

Feb 5, 2008
London
Isn't it for performance under UV light?

I could be wrong but I was led to believe that the Ghost Bikes were the way they were for effective show under UV lighting in clubs etc. Fancy shading and the red colour won't be picked out in a dim environment. Its predominantely black and white, so it really stands out compared to any other deck colouring.

Take your Ghosts, find a club and check out how well they glow.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
You people have to specify what you disagree with. I said the quality was almost perfect, yet a lot of you are disagreeing. So then you _like_ the design? I think you've been overhyped on it. The deck does not look special, it looks like those lame multicolored decks they have, black and green, and this is white. They all look odd and wrong. If I were to design a deck from scratch I would come up with one looking 3 times better than this one. Do you not agree that if the black faded in certain places it would look significantly better? And UV sensitive is a waste. This deck is not an overall good deck, it's will replace your day to day bikes. It has a very limited amount of uses that it shines in (pardon the uv pun).

I've created the poll so that you can quickly voice your opinion. Do not post two liners about disagreeing and thinking it's the best. Just vote. If you want to post something then post something that we can actually talk about. Maybe quote a specific part of the review that you disagree with.

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
I was led to believe that the Ghost Bikes were the way they were for effective show under UV lighting in clubs etc. Fancy shading and the red colour won't be picked out in a dim environment. Its predominantely black and white, so it really stands out compared to any other deck colouring.

No it wasn't. They created a fancy design that was supposed to be fresh and new, and _then_ they _also_ marketed it as being good for dim environments. The UV finish is standard on all fancy bicycle decks, it was not designed especially for ghosts.

And I would love to see this dark environment where you can't pick out bright red from black... And you are mistaken, shading would definitely stand out and be seen in dim environments. There is nothing to argue about, the deck itself has those shaded lines on each side, they are very visible in all conditions that I've tried them in. Also, by shading I largely meant that the back should fade as you get further away from the center. Picture that. It would look stunning. It can't possibly not stand out because the back will literally fade to nothing near the edges... I said that this is not a good deck because personally, there is no reason for it to exist. The quality is comparable to rider backs. The only thing that clearly sets them aside from rider backs is the design, which in my opinion doesn't warrant the extra money that these are worth over bikes. Not even close.

On a side note, I really have a problem with people who think they are cooler for having custom decks like these. It's exactly like the kids who spent way too much to buy the best equipment, and so they act smug while using it. It's pretentious. Get over yourself people (to whomever this applies), it's just some paper that you play with.

PS: It seems that the grammar gods have sent a lightning bolt that struck my poll and made it literate :).

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I first have to say that I like the way you voice your opinion, it reminds me somewhat of me and somebody else I know.

As far as the cards go, I feel like the way they look is a matter of preference. A lot of the things that you find to be unattractive or bland, other people may find to be quite the opposite. In fact, probably most people will think the opposite of you, including me. But I'm not going to stand here and say "Your wrong," just because your opinion is different from mine. I do disagree with you, but I find your outlook very interesting and unique.

But on that note, I have been using Ghosts less and less because I find other custom decks to be more attractive. I say this because the Ghost deck used to be my favorite deck to work with.

I also agree with you about people who think they are cooler than everything because they use a custom deck. If you can't use a regular deck of bikes to get the same reactions, then I feel that you shouldn't be using a custom deck period. Custom decks need to be used as added style, not inflated confidence. And if a certain deck is not your style, it doesn't matter what everyone else says, you had better not use that deck.

-Cyrus

Aos

Mar 6, 2008
Cyrus, good points. I was going to add a paragraph in the review about it being simply my opinion and being highly subjective, but I thought that goes without saying with most reviews.

Dec 28, 2007
Finland
I voted "Somewhat".

I disagree on the backs, I like the way they look, although your ideas would maybe make them look even better.
On the faces, I partially agree. I think the face design is bad, although not in the same way you think. I like the idea of black and white deck, with "Ink drained away". But I think that instead of making hearts and diamonds black, they should've made them white, with only outlines. And NO red pips. They totally destroy the design.
About cards themselves, I agree with the slippery- part. Ghosts feel slimy!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results