Bicycle Tragic Royalty Deck

PhilTheMagician

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
I've been eyeing this deck for a while now (since just before halloween)....

where can you get them? (Besides Ebay?) I live in Toronto....and I'm trying to fine somewhere that sells them. All of the cool new Bicycle designs are available in the states. Not fair :(

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I've seen this deck appear in several threads at different magic forums. So far, the consensus of them are that they clump like crazy. I'm not too sure why that would happen, but I have a feeling that it's due to the crazy paint job not doing well with the stock.

Shane K.

Sep 1, 2007
I grabbed a few decks on ebay, they look awesome but handle...weird

The first thing I noticed was that they smell REALLY strange. so familiar, but I was never able to place it. But they were quite pungent.

They're extremely slippery. We're talking like greasy slippery, not new card slippery. And the edges are extremely rough.

They DO look freakin cool though. Hahaha

Its amazing how many different bicycle decks there are now days.
Personally i stick to normal Riderbacks but these look okay.
My favorite type of decks besides normal RiderBack is Ellusionist's Black Deck Tigers. Ive only purchased one because i really only use normal RiderBack but Black Deck Tigers = Amazing.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
To tell you the truth, these cards are only good for looking at. The finish is not the normal rider back finish, and they clump like crazy. They do smell funny, as somebody mentioned earlier. Overall, only get these for display. They won't improve your magic or flourishing.

David

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
To be honest, I think these are stupid. The faces of the court cards are okay, I guess, but the backs look like a nine-year-old tried to Photoshop a Bike card to make it look cool.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Definately something to carry around for Holloween I'd think. "Trick or treat, on second thought, here's something with a deck of cards" (shrug)

Just throwing this out there: You can also try your luck at the local Books A Million. That's where I found mine. (I know they change their stock frequently though)

Anyway, they look cool, but I definitely don't use them to be serious. Like the others said, they are more for a Halloween time frame.

Dec 22, 2007
California: LA
DONT GET THESE!!!! there the worst cards....since theyre glow in the dark, theres no finish applied to them....(well it doesnt feel like it)...the cards seriously feel like sand paper.... trust me...i bought 3 decks from penguin thinking that theyre cool cards, but they suck....

DONT GET THEM!!!

D

Deleted member 2755

DONT GET THESE!!!! there the worst cards....since theyre glow in the dark, theres no finish applied to them....(well it doesnt feel like it)...the cards seriously feel like sand paper.... trust me...i bought 3 decks from penguin thinking that theyre cool cards, but they suck....

DONT GET THEM!!!

I agree. When I saw these, they clumped a TON. (However, I'm not aware of the condition of the deck which is why I did not comment.) I'm all for custom decks... but this is just too much. I will use any other custom deck except this one.

-Doug

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
This subject came up on another forum today. This is what I posted there:

~ The art on the deck is amazing. From the Edward Gorey-ish design on the face cards to the Tim Burton-esque design touches on the pips (I love all the little curls and flourishes on the numbered cards), it's very well designed. The red on the backs makes for outstanding contrast.

~ As for using them for magical purposes, the deck feels a little worse than E's 1800 decks. Because the art is so good, I'd wager the deck was printed from the press that can't handle the better finish. In other words, this deck won't fan very well -- not even fresh out of the box. But the back bleed is the same color as the face bleed (border on back is the same color as the face), so reversed cards in the deck are not a problem. The stock is not great, either; it's flimsy and thin. I was greatly disappointed in how the deck performed during basic sleights.

~ The claim of UV sensitivity is likely due to splashes of white on the face cards. They react to black lights as normally as any other white thing.

Far be it from me to tell you that the deck won't work for your performance. You might be able to do fascinating things with it. However, the deck is a lot more like Bizzaro and a lot less like Barry and Stuart. While the art is incredible and will get much appreciation from spectators, the performance limitations of the deck should give card workers cause for serious concern. Someone wishing for a "darker" deck may be better served by Shadow Masters or T11's Centurions.

~ As for using them for magical purposes, the deck feels a little worse than E's 1800 decks. Because the art is so good, I'd wager the deck was printed from the press that can't handle the better finish. In other words, this deck won't fan very well -- not even fresh out of the box. But the back bleed is the same color as the face bleed (border on back is the same color as the face), so reversed cards in the deck are not a problem. The stock is not great, either; it's flimsy and thin. I was greatly disappointed in how the deck performed during basic sleights.

These past few comments made me go dig out one of my opened bricks of these things. I couldn't recall how they felt. Wow, the past few posts are true. These things clump and just don't feel that great overall. It's the artwork that sales these things. I'm gonna keep mine around... just to look at. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results