Bicycle Vintage Cupid Backs :: Review

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Now generally I don't review Bicycle brand cards, as they feel alike if not exactly like Rider Backs. I've been dying to pick up a deck of these ever since a friend let me try them out, and Misdirections finally sells singles.

Now, these used to only be sold in a set along with a few other vintage decks, and then it was taken off the market for a bit. I'm guessing Bicycle finally started selling the decks by themselves.

Backs
These are very elegant. If you have never seen them, check out Allan Hagen's ah2008 video, which can be found here. In my opinion red looks the best combined with the Cupid theme and the scrollwork.

Faces
Just normal Bike faces, along with the vintage ace.

Handling
Flourishing
This is the reason I made a review. These cards feel nothing like normal Bikes. They are much stiffer, and the finish feels different. I want to say waxy, but that isn't even close to describing these. They hold together fairly well, and looks very elegant.

Magic
Other than what I said above, nothing comes to mind. They are good for magic and looks good, too.

Finish/ Stock
As I said above, I want to say they feel waxy, yet they don't. They are thicker and stiffer than normal Bikes, and I prefer this finish.

Overall
Love these cards. For $5 they were a steal, and I'll be picking more up eventually. If you have the option to get some, go for it.

David

Sep 5, 2007
great cards... these are one of my favorite. they are very durable. they fan absolutely amazing, and holds its form for a very long time.

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Honestly, paying $5 for a deck of cards is not really considerd a "steal" unless you know... they are Jerry's.

Compared to what decks of cards can cost nowadays, it is a good price. I can easily spend up to 8 or 9 dollars on a single deck of cards, so finding such a good deck that 1. has been hard to find and 2. handles so well for $5 is a steal to me.

David

Sep 2, 2007
La Crescenta, CA
I'd like to add a little something concerning the finish.

I recently picked up three Bicycle Vintage decks: New Fan, Cupid, and Tangent. The New Fan Back design felt more like a normal deck of bikes, but the other two have the same "waxy" feeling that DavidMisner mentioned in his review. Also worth mentioning are the seals: the New Fan Backs have the "1st Print" seal on them, and the other two have a normal "US Playing Card Company" seal. So it might be that the decks that have this slightly different finish have a regular seal on them... although the Tangent Backs look nowhere near as good as the Cupid Backs. (It has a pinwheel in the middle, and a small symmetrical bicycle in each corner - the rest of the design is simply linework.)

Nov 24, 2007
Hermosillo Sonora
9 bucks for a deck of cards?!?! holy crap!! where do you buy them, i get my bikes for about $1.80 bucks and can get tally´s on the internet for the same price...

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
9 bucks for a deck of cards?!?! holy crap!! where do you buy them, i get my bikes for about $1.80 bucks and can get tally´s on the internet for the same price...

There are some very expensive cards out there. Try Richard Turner cards, those are getting up there. Ever heard of Jerry's Nuggets?

David

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
He's talking about regular USPCC cards. Not OOP cards. I also agree... you're getting your cards from a bad source with that kind of price per deck.

Richard Turners are not OOP, Jerry's are. If he's talking about regular USPCC cards, then no I have never seen cards over 5 dollars.

As for my source, it's just a normal magic shop.

David

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results