Big windows

Sep 17, 2010
Romania
Hello everybody. I am looking for some help. I am rather skinny, and have big windows. Can you guys give me some tips on how to palm the cards without people seeing ?
Thanks in advance :)

-Spk

-Oh and erm, sorry for posting in the wrong section. - I wanted to post in the card magic

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2009
I have windows as well. I have found that the best way to palm cards when you have windows is just to keep your hand so that your spectators are always off angle. In other words, make sure you never give them a chance to look directly through the windows in your fingers. That or use strong misdirection when palming.

Also, you may be able to find a natural looking position for your fingers that eliminates the windows. This could be difficult, but I've managed to find some methods of hiding my windows.

One last idea is to watch your lighting angles as well. If you never have light coming directly through the windows in your fingers your spectators will only see shadows. This is sometimes easier than managing sight lines.

Sep 17, 2010
Romania
Yeah but in a gamble performance, or a poker performance, I have "no room for air", what should I do in those cases ? I have the technique down, but my friends that help me practice always say - I can see that, you need to find a way to close them, but if I try to close them, I strain my hand to much, and it becomes obvious that I have something.
Any further advice is accepted.
Thanks a lot for the post, will try to find a few ways.
Cheers

-Spk

Nov 27, 2009
Unless your routine absolutely requires palming because it's part of the demonstration I'd find a way out of it in this case. I'm sure there are a ton of moves you can do without palming cards.

Also, I know of a few self working gambling feats that could probably be set up for on the fly with a little riffle stacking. Or if your like me and haven't learned the fine art of riffle stacking you can always employ a number of other tactics like stacking the deck while doing another effect or while introducing your act. I can PM you with the info on those if you're interested. (Note that I would only tell you where to find the effects, not how to do them.)

With magic, windows aren't that big a deal because you can employ heavy misdirection, but with gambling demos there is, as you said, no room for air, and misdirection is almost completely out of place at the card table. Your best bet is to either do as I stated in my previous post and watch your angles, or eliminate the palming as I suggested in this post.

Apr 11, 2011
try this...i'm writing a book..and this is just a part on my book...
Blood trapping technique.
(A short paragraph that I have written coz there are windows between my fingers)
When practicing card tricks, once in a blue moon you will have to palm a folded card in your finger palm whether you like it or not. Tricks like J.C Wagner’s torn and restored card, or even Guy Hollingworth’s reformation are classic tricks that are too good to be missed. If you haven’t done it before then you should. Spending the last three years of my life learning Guy’s Reformation, I found that the technique is actually very simple. But the problem is the finger-palmed card is always seen between the windows of my fingers. I’m not going to go into details on how it’s done. But this problem surely scares the hell out of me. I have tried out using bridge size playing cards but it doesn’t helps a lot. I have tried to use cards with a very deceptive back design (black, red, bee deck, etc) but none give me the ultimate satisfaction. I want the solution to be as natural as possible. My solution to this problem is rubber band, by wrapping rubber band on your upper arm (or the arm of the hands that is finger-palming the gimmick) will cause your finger to swells a little bit. I believe that it would cover the window. My favorite part is you could still show your hands empty. I really felt that this method really increases my performance up to 15%. Yes I know that it’s not much but…15% of something is always better than 100% of nothing. Blood-trapping technique is by far my best solution to this problem. The problem that might happen is your finger would appear a little bluish and you might feel a little cold during the trick. The way I use it, is 2-3 minutes before I went to stage I have the rubber band already wrapped on my upper arms. And I let my arm down and leave it as relax as possible. You will be amazed on how fast your blood would be trapped. I recommend that you don’t use this technique when you are practicing since I believe that I could affect your heart somehow. Try to finger-palm a coin also. If you found that blood-trapping is very disturbing or uncomfortable when you are doing this then don’t do it and forget about it. There are a lot of things that you can do and perform out there that is less disturbing than this one. But if you ever decided to actually use blood trapping, just make sure that it’s not too tight or too loose.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results