Billet Effects

Nov 1, 2007
So I picked up Sean Fields's X-Rated notes and learned his North of the Border center tear (in a nutshell - you can show your hands clean, holding no pieces of the billet, when it is ripped up. Very, very clever. I recommend anything and everything the man markets, if you haven't gotten it all yet.) and I'm itchin' to do something with it. I've seen the traditional mind reading with a billet, but I'm looking for something a little more creative than that - what are some good mentalism effects / books / whatever involving the billet?

Feb 21, 2008
I think you should try to figure out things you can do with the obtained information. But if you want to spend some money then Oz Pearlman's Into the Abyss DVD comes to mind (although I don't have it myself).

And BTW if you don't have the two mentalism bibles (13 steps to mentalism by Tony Corinda and Practical mental magic by Theodore Anneman), you should definately check them out if you're interested in mentalism and mental magic.

P.S. I'll put some more DVDs and books when something pops into my mind

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I do quite a cool routine which can be played up to sound incredibly impressive. I use a forced word and playing card but there's no reason you couldn't modify the routine to have a thought of word as opposed to a forced word appear on the card.

essentially, in my original routine you have a folded prediction on show, have a card selected 'at random' and a word selected from a book/mag (I use the business card with a hole idea from Maven's VideoMind series to force the word) and when the prediction is unfolded it's a copy of the selected card with the word written across it. It's simple and effective, I explain the 1 in 178,000 chance I have of getting the thing right to emphasize the situation!

Off the top of my head, maybe you could have a couple of duplicate cards, say 2 '3Hs'. force one and have it signed, discover the word they're thinking of from the centre tear and make their signature morph into their chosen word using your favorite colour change... Something like that?

Hmmm... Thinking about it I might stick something like that in my next book!:p

With the right pen you could make it look like the word go burnt onto the card, then it gives reason to tear and burn the billet and context to the effect!

As for books with cool routines, check out some older stuff and see what you can modify - Anneman's practical mental magic maybe?

For more recent effects, You could use it in conjunction with Stigmata - even if you just make the first letter appear. Or maybe use it with 'Disintegration' an ashes on the spectator's arm effect.

There's so many possibilities - I'm considering going and picking up Sean's notes just from the ideas floating around my head now!:p

Hope that helps!

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 25, 2007
Do yourself a favor and get Psychological Subtleties by Banachek. Theres a routine in there called "Letters of a Word." It is an application of psychological forces rolled up into a billet routine.

Richard Busch has put out a few phenomenal books on billet work entitled "Peek Performances" and "Peek Encores."

Docc Hilford also has released material dealing with billet work.

B

Oct 25, 2007
Be sure to be creative when you are doing mentalism. If you ask a spectator to write down a thought, and you simply reveal it, they'll think you read the piece of paper as you ripped it up.

Presentation is key for this kind of magic.

And yes, I also enjoyed X-Rated very much

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results