Book to add stuff OTHER than cards to my repertoire?

Sep 9, 2010
Hey guys, being a cool magician these days is hard enough, nearly impossible, but it's even harder when nearly every effect in your repertoire is cards, does anyone have a recommendation on a DVD or book with stuff OTHER than cards? function (9) looks good, but it is mainly gimmicks, plus it's $40, I was hoping around $20 or $30, but I'm willing to go up to $40 or so, if said book/DVD is just AMAZING.

Jul 13, 2010
The question is, which is your area of interest? Coins ? Newspapers ? Cigarettes ? Ropes ? Ordinary objects ? Bottle effects ?

I got Charlie Justice´s 'Prohibition' as a bonus for my last purchase, which is a great cap-in-bottle effect. The teaching is in-depth and it´s really fun to do that in a bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2009
California
Art Of Astonishment. You will find amazing effects involving leaves, candy, ID cards, napkins, fire, etc... etc... under 40 per book. True Astonishment is worth the buy as well, but that of course is a bit more expensive. I recommend the books first that way the dvd set is more enjoyable when you get it and venture into the easter eggs. I am a big fan of the entire Daniel Garcia Project. A great collection of solid effects. under 40 per dvd.

Sep 9, 2010
Art Of Astonishment. You will find amazing effects involving leaves, candy, ID cards, napkins, fire, etc... etc... under 40 per book. True Astonishment is worth the buy as well, but that of course is a bit more expensive. I recommend the books first that way the dvd set is more enjoyable when you get it and venture into the easter eggs. I am a big fan of the entire Daniel Garcia Project. A great collection of solid effects. under 40 per dvd.

I'm actually considering that, I have the first volume and LOVE it. would you recommend volume 2 or 3 next? based on my interests?

Apr 1, 2009
California
I recommend both. but I went with 3 before 2. 2 has more enjoyable and clever ideas in my opinion. 3 has some of my favorite effects.

Sep 9, 2010
I recommend both. but I went with 3 before 2. 2 has more enjoyable and clever ideas in my opinion. 3 has some of my favorite effects.

I know this is asking a lot, but could you maybe list your favorite effects from book two? I read a review that was quite extensive on book 3, but hardly anything on book 2.

Ang

Sep 4, 2010
I know this is asking a lot, but could you maybe list your favorite effects from book two? I read a review that was quite extensive on book 3, but hardly anything on book 2.
-miser's dream
-hand to hand flight of 4 coins
-superba paper cone for handkerchief vanish
-i think all of the rope magic is AWESOME!
-and lastly the egg bag "Tarbell style"
if you want any more info PM me
hope this helps

Apr 1, 2009
California
Twilight is one of the most beautiful effects I've ever seen. I actually got chills reading it.

Lysdexia is great.

Fizz Master is perfect

Counterfeit Spectator, you've probably seen David Blaine do this. Great powerful effect.

A whole section on linking cards. which is pure brilliance.

Angel Case is a utility gimmick which you'll find a million fantastic uses for.

and of course Buck Naked. Which is like the seductive switch but with money, which makes things more personal and has that emotional hook.

Sep 9, 2010
-miser's dream
hope this helps

lol, thanks, but I was talking about AOA.:)

Apr 1, 2009
California
-miser's dream
hope this helps

wait, are we talking tarbell or AOA?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results