Books, Books, and more Books.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to get my hands on some magic books but, the thing is I have no idea where to start. There is so many great things to learn from so many resources, it hurts my brain to think about it really.

My question is what are some books you would recommend? Here's a bit of criteria which I'm looking for:
//Visual, Practical, Not too "gimmicky"
//Strictly Playing Cards/Presentation/Routining
//Difficulty doesn't matter
//Respectable Price range (Nothing in the 200+)

And, if you recommend something please have actually read the book. Just makes things easier not one of those, "My friends, friends uncle told me that.." You get my point.

Cheers,
-RA69

Sep 9, 2008
Philippines
Card College Vol. 1-5 by Robert Giobbi. It's filled with different sleights, performance guides and etc. The price shouldn't be that expensive and vol. 1 starts from beginners to vol. 5 which is more difficult.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I would have to say, on the subject of ACAAN, that whilst I haven't read Meant to Be, David Berglas himself described Alain Nu's book on ACAAN "The best treatise on the ACAAN principle I have ever read." That I do have, and it's brilliant.

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber is a must.
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms is similar to the above, but also very good.
The Art of Magic by T. Nelson Downs - highly considered by Vernon, and for good reason.
Card Control by Arthur Buckley - another cheap one but it's packed with stuff.
Close-Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne - there's so much here it's ridiculous.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
I would have to say, on the subject of ACAAN, that whilst I haven't read Meant to Be, David Berglas himself described Alain Nu's book on ACAAN "The best treatise on the ACAAN principle I have ever read." That I do have, and it's brilliant.

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber is a must.
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms is similar to the above, but also very good.
The Art of Magic by T. Nelson Downs - highly considered by Vernon, and for good reason.

Alains Any Card Rocks i really enjoyed it maybe soon enoughi will be able to perform his ACAAN

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
well, for me Paul Haris' Art of Astonishment set is phenomenal! there is so much material in there to keep you occupied for a very long time and i am sure that you will find some effects u will put immediately in your performing repertoire.
This is my best recommendation.

Nov 23, 2008

I found Card Control to be very hard to understand, but once you've worked it out, there are some really good things in there.

Close up Card Magic on the other hand, extremely easy to understand and undoubtably one of my favourite books on card magic to date.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Actually, you're right to bring that up. This is how I see it though: It's Buckley's book. With that in mind, he has so many methods for so many things, there are bound to be things firstly that don't work. I laughed at a few methods, I found just as many appalling compared to alternative methods. In some cases, the writing is not the clearest thing I've ever seen. I showed the description of the Vernon Multiple Shift to another magician friend and we both agreed it was rather poorly taught. That said, that sleight is now one of my favourites, and I've been putting it everything. As you said, it's got some brilliant stuff. Transferring a break through springing the cards? That's ridiculous, and it fools even the guys with knowing glints in their eyes. Really great moves, but yes, in some cases, it is hard to understand.

As for Close-up Card Magic - such a brilliant OotW... My routine is based on his with a few changes...

As for Close-up Card Magic - such a brilliant OotW... My routine is based on his with a few changes...
I was looking for this book, I thought its not sold anymore, but part of HL's collection. It has a trick thats out of the collection, that I'm interested in.

I had alot of fun with Buckley's book. If you're used to to older books and magazines, you'll read it easily. It has one of the best second deals descriptions in print, nice effects, and the first side steal to the bottom. Some cute ideas here and there ( like the Greek shift and the Exchange, fun to play with ).

Had alot of fun with that book. :)

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Just got "Andrus Deals You In" and it's wonderful. Really preatical. All cards. No gimmiks. Great step-by-step. Comes in a spiral bound paperback.

Ed Marlo's "Revolutionary Card Technique" is another phenomenal book. I started reading it and found so much good stuff within the first 100 pages that I haven't even gotten to the second 100. Marlo is a genius. Hardback (but i have it on PDF).

Lewis Ganson's "The Dai Vernon Book of Magic" or "Inner Secrets" trilogy by Vernon himself. I have always loved Vernon's magic and teaching. There is a reason they called him the professor.

I also have a bunch of other PDF's I would be willing to trade if you want to PM me.

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I was looking for this book, I thought its not sold anymore, but part of HL's collection. It has a trick thats out of the collection, that I'm interested in.

I had alot of fun with Buckley's book. If you're used to to older books and magazines, you'll read it easily. It has one of the best second deals descriptions in print, nice effects, and the first side steal to the bottom. Some cute ideas here and there ( like the Greek shift and the Exchange, fun to play with ).

Had alot of fun with that book. :)

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=5904

Close-Up Card Magic, available and in stock if I'm not mistaken ^^
As for the collection, did you mean this?

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=7982

So it's in the collection but not CUCM? I'd be glad to help if it could be found there..

As for Card Control - The second deal description is honestly brilliant. I'm not a manipulation person so I didn't get too much out of that section, but they're all brilliant, and I agree about the Greek Shift, very cute - though I found that in Exchange it made my hand terribly unnatural to have the cards bending away from normal palm position (and I never quite got round to practicing that well enough to perform). The Domico double is something I like to use every now and then. I loved his peeks, and how about that palm that palms the card, folded, into your fingers? I thought that that'd be perfect for a card to mouth. Although I don't use his side steal anymore, it was the first one I learned. I didn't know it was the first to the bottom, that's interesting. And one more note on it, I laughed a little to myself when I read the description of the "strip" - or "what erdnase would call a cull" - I think that's what it said, that made me laugh.

Dec 26, 2007
i would also recommend the apocalypse magazines if you can get your hands on them as they are excellent. So much magic in a variation of genres.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results