Books vs. DVDs - the great divide

Sep 1, 2007
Hello all,

You know, a hot topic nowadays seems to be the comparitive strengths and weaknesses of books vs. DVDs (or indeed, instant downloads) as reference material. People seem very keen to jump into either camp, and stanchly defend the merits of their chosen delivery system. Of course, there are many who have a collection of both.

I think its time we all wake up and smell the coffee on this one. DVDs are fantastic learning resources - provided the content is there to learn from. Magic is - as we are often reminded - about timing, angles, misdirection, audience management, body language etc etc. There can be little doubt that these are best observed through actually seeing the magician in action in front of an audience. Watching a technique being broken down can provide a different perspective on it than reading the description and that can make the difference between correct exectution and...well...not.

BUT - yes, there is a but - books do have their merits also. A well thought out, carefully considered description can often be more revealing than that you may give in front of a camera - little details which may slip your mind on filming day tend to make it into a text which you have revised many times. Commentary, variations, history etc. all tend to be emphasised more in books and correct use of illustrations highlight the most important aspects of a technique. There is also a tendancy for books to contain a lot more material (although quantity isn't necessarily the same as quality).

I am hoping for more magicians to release their material with both a written and a recorded description - a book with descriptions and commentary with a DVD of performance footage would be a marriage made in heaven, and would not necessarily add to production costs that much. Some magicians have already gone this route of combining text and video footage, to good effect. Many times I find myself underestimating an effect that I see in print only to get enthused and go looking for it again when I see it performed - by putting both media together publishers stand a greater chance of having their material truely appreciated.

In the meantime though, keep an open mind about how you get your fix, and judge each release on its individual merits.

Cheers,
David

I think this is a brilliant topic. I have recently gone through a battle with myself about this very issue. With my severe attention definciency:D I have the best results actually seeing something done and thus have an easier time learning. I actually do enjoy reading for entertainment , very much so. I read about 20-30 books a year. I just have allways had a hard time using books as a learning tool. I allways considered myself a "visual" learner.

I recently took a trip to Baltimore MD to take my family to see the Red Sox play the O's. While I was there I found a magic shop with more books on Magic than I had ever seen. The knowledge in this place was incredible. I asked a lot of questions as I allways do when around folks who obviously know much more than myself. They were steadfast that if I was serious about this artform that I really owed it to myself to dive into some of the books readily available to Magicians.

After a lot of contemplation I decided to buy some books to add to an enormous DVD library. I thought I at least had to try it .
Books purchased were these

BoBo's New Modern Coin Magic
Paul Harris' AoA
Sean Fields Explicit Content
Close up Card Magic by Harry Louraine

My book collection has grown vastly since that first purchase. The biggest surprise was that the book I expected the least from was brilliant.. Harry Louraine has an incredible piece of work that I think any serious Cardician should read.

Do yourself a service and read in conjunction with the DVD's ..The People who make DVD's and seel effects on DVD's learned from books... there is incredible knowledge sitting there for the taking..

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
''I am hoping for more magicians to release their material with both a written and a recorded description''

I was going to say that xD Excellent Post :p

Aug 31, 2007
England
Well, for flourishing DVD's are by far superior

Magic wise I prefer a good book, too many kids (*cough* youtube *cough*) get a dvd, learn the trick in 5 minutes and post a really bad video performance of it, how often do you see these people post a trick from a book? Never

I think if you learn a really good routine from a book and perform it well, it proves you are interested in the art and are prepared to put the necessary time and effort into learning it, rather than being spoon fed through a dvd

Just my opinion :)

P.s. don't get me wrong, DVD's are great for learning, but I think you can miss out on little details like stated in the original post

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I think that DVD's are slightly better because often times when reading a book, the author isn't always clear on positioning and the pictures provided do not always help.
With dvd's (most of the time) the person on-screen is clear, and with a constant visual refference, it helps me learn better.
But I still enjoy learning frmo both.

Sep 1, 2007
I think if you learn a really good routine from a book and perform it well, it proves you are interested in the art and are prepared to put the necessary time and effort into learning it, rather than being spoon fed through a dvd

I understand what you're saying - proving your interest - but I don't necessarily think this should be the job of those who want to release material. If I were to release an instructional DVD/Book I would want to focus on making the material as clear and understandable as possible, which as far as I'm concerned is the only basis for debate on this issue.

However, there should ideally be some way of proving commitment to the principles of studying magic before you get access to instructional materials, which would solve the problem of exposure from those who can't keep a secret. Unfortunately, I think that this is an ideal our materialistic world cannot live up to. How many retailers are going to place some kind of restricted access on their products to preserve the integrity of the art? Exactly.

In many ways it is a double edged sword that magic has turned into a business:

Secrets for sale! Secrets for sale! Git yer secrets 'ere! Fresh today!​

Hardly an unknown world of mystery and magic is it? And yet, if it weren't for the widespread availability of magic tricks, books and DVDs, how many of us would be here today? I probably wouldn't.

I think it really depends on the content on the DVD or in the book. If you're comparing a top notch DVD to a waste of space book then you truly can't say that the book is better. There is some information in books that can't be found in DVD's though. Simply because they're older, and have some material that was over looked and stayed within the book.

Book don't show performances, whereas DVD's allow for the viewer to see exactly how to perform each move step by step and see how to interact with the spectators, in a book, you are sort of left to "fend for yourself".

I try to get a good variety of both learning sources because as I said, it depends on the content, if there's something I like that is on DVD or video, I will pick it up, if there's something I like that's in a book, I'll purchase that as well. No one can really force me to buy one or the other.

Mitchell

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
I started on books and still use books.

Book smay be hard to understand or to follow.

But there are some classics out there.

Thirteen steps to mentailism
Modern coin magic.
Scarne On cards.
Penn and tellers cruel tricks for dear friends.
Encylcopedia of magic.

There are great moves in alot of these that have never been seen by a dvd.

Whereas Dvds give you a better learning advantage which is best for stronger hitting effects.

So really i like both.

~jordan

That depends on the compatibility of the teaching and learning styles. I had no trouble learning the Sybil cuts from the book "Out of Control", and many other cuts form the original books easy to learn, but found "The System" very difficult to learn from due to the lack of explanation (there only appears to be demonstration that is easily accessible, the "easter egg" video with some description is not easy to navigate).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results