Bottom Deal

Apr 1, 2009
California
I am currently working on the bottom deal. I have Expert At The Card Table as well as Foundations. One thing I haven't seen covered is the one thing I'm having problems with. When I'm holding the deck in my hand against the palm. While doing the dealing, somehow the entire deck besides the top and bottom card, slide out of my hand. I can't seem to get the deck in my control. Is there a trick for this or is it just a matter of practice?

Sep 2, 2007
London
I am currently working on the bottom deal. I have Expert At The Card Table as well as Foundations. One thing I haven't seen covered is the one thing I'm having problems with. When I'm holding the deck in my hand against the palm. While doing the dealing, somehow the entire deck besides the top and bottom card, slide out of my hand. I can't seem to get the deck in my control. Is there a trick for this or is it just a matter of practice?

Actually, Erdnase does mention this, saying that "the deck will have a tendency to slip toward the wrist, and must be held, or worked back into position again." Incidentally, this is a piece of evidence for the author who described the bottom deal (I'm starting to come round to the two authors theory) having small hands. A couple of tips on avoiding this problem. Firstly, if you incline the outer end of the deck towards the table as Erdnase advises, gravity will help minimise this slipping. Secondly, just practice gripping the deck diagonally between the heel of the thumb and the first joint of the second finger until you can reliably support the deck in this position without assistance of any other part of the hand. When this latter exercise is mastered, you will find it's more natural and comfortable to deal using the Erdnase grip.

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
If you're still having problems, I would advise you to check out Benjamin Earl's bottom deal that can be found on the second DVD of his After Midnight compilation. The deal is much looser than the one that can be found in Erdnase's book and doesn't have a strange grip that could raise suspicion like the one mentioned above. Also, you shouldn't have a slipping problem with it.

Apr 1, 2009
California
I do still find myself having this issue... but I will play with the advice given. and of course check out his material in time.

There a variation of the bottom deal taught in card college 4. This method uses a regular dealers grip which I find much easier and it looks more natural. I have played with majority of the other grips and I have found this one to work best for me.

Sep 2, 2007
London
I do still find myself having this issue... but I will play with the advice given. and of course check out his material in time.

It does take a fair bit of practice! One good thing is, if you really master one bottom deal technique, learning others is pretty much a formality and will take much less time.

Feb 4, 2008
I had the same problem and started doing a get ready, much as you would eith a greek deal. Just imagine a greek without the cut card and you will get the idea. I'm told that it is actually a Martin Nash technique but I don't know from where?

Ben Earls is not a bad bottom but I have honestly started to have more luck with Richard Turners "See-Saw" bottom. It too, when practiced enough, can be done from a sloppy deck.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results