Bottom Deal

Jul 20, 2015
Hello everyone, Iv been practicing my bottom deal for about 2 weeks and was wondering if i could a few tips and opinions on it. I'v been using Mechanic and Foundation. I provided a short clip of my bottom dealing below.
Thank you

Jul 20, 2015
Pretty good for 2 weeks. Were you alternating from top to bottom dealing?

My best suggestion is to keep practicing. Bottom Dealing can take several months to get down smoothly.
not every other one was bottom dealing

no i was not alternating from top to bottom. I was dealing a few fair deals then throwing in a few bottoms

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Consistency, is key. Slow down, and make sure that you are comfortable with the finger position. It feels rushed overall. It is important to keep the pace consistent.

Jul 20, 2015
Consistency, is key. Slow down, and make sure that you are comfortable with the finger position. It feels rushed overall. It is important to keep the pace consistent.
i seem to be having problems pushing the top card over with the bottom card. every time i push the top card over it drags a few other cards along with it.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If you adjust the pressure on the middle finger it should only allow one card to come off at a time. Also make sure that your deck is smooth and not too sticky.

Jul 20, 2015
I'm not having problems with the bottom card moment. When I slide the too card over to cover it a few top cards slide with it and is noticeable enough to know something happened

Jul 20, 2015

I tried to work on the wrist movement and tried to improve the rhythm, I switched to bee's. Any criticism would be great.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

I tried to work on the wrist movement and tried to improve the rhythm, I switched to bee's. Any criticism would be great.

It's better now, the camera distortion is helping the video out a little. The rhythm is much more consistent. That's the one of the easiest ways to work on a bottom deal. Just fix the rhythm.

Jul 20, 2015
the camera distortion is all thanks to my crappy webcam lol. do you think it could go unnoticed in a game situation? any more tips to improve it?

ScottS2,

A few things:
You mentioned the thumb pushing off the top card - this actually has more to do with which kind of deal you're simulating than "covering" the bottom deal. A strike deal means the thumb stays "dead" and the card is drug out from under it. In most cases the thumb pushes off the top card to help the other hand take it - thus a "push off."
Obviously your thumb should mimic your thumb when you deal naturally.

Hand and wrist movement - A common tendency in people who are just starting to work on the false deals is to "cover" the action by moving the hands, wrists, and arms. In reality this flailing draws the eye much more than a frozen hand. I would again recommend you study the way you normally deal cards and mimic that action. Most often the deck hand is relatively stationary and the dealing hand does all of the work.

Final thoughts -
For those of you who are working on false deals or are interested in them, keep in mind that these sleights aren't easy. They don't come quickly and they require a high level of attention to detail in order to perfect. I would recommend finding them in print, playing more card games (to study true deals and learn their actual application), and finally, having a concrete need. Learning to deal "machine-gun" seconds or bottoms is basically useless in the real world. Many people mistake this skill as overly valuable in the beginning ( things like rhythm, speed, etc.) and don't study what they're actually used for until bad habits have already been acquired.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Warm Regards and all of the best luck,
Edward

Joey144

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2007
Bavaria, Germany
You're dealing way too fast. Start slow. During the deal you have to adjust the grip. This could be because you haven't quite got the pressure points right. Again, start slow and get comfortable with the grip first, before you try to deal as quickly as possible. This also helps finding the right rhythm. My advice would be to practice sailing on your Bottom Deal aswell.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results