Brainstorm - 1 Year in the making...

Mar 13, 2009
I have been brainstroming for ideas for effects which incorporate Nature for over a year, and I've come up with 3 KILLER effects. I've performed these on the streets over the past 4 months in Melbourne, Australia, and they get nothing but amazing reactions from the audience.
LEAF-
Picture this.....
The performer picks a random leaf up off the ground, gutter, tree etc. and it is thoroughly inspected by the audience, with nothing funny to be found. The performer then folds the leaf into quarters, and hands the leaf to an audience member. The spectator is then asked to sign the back of the leaf, and keep it in full view in their open palm.
The performer then asks another audience member to select a random card from the deck.
With the selected card in hand, the performer goes into intimate detail about how the goal of an illusionist is to perform miracles: miracles that are often unexplainable acts or feats which defy the laws of physics and Nature itself...Feats that are often expressed through thr use of everyday objects, such as cards and coins.

The performer then takes a step back and asks the spectator to open up the leaf.
The audience is stunned...
On the face of the SIGNED and PREVIOUSLY INSPECTED leaf is written the spectators card number.
Written not in ink or pencil, but in PIGMENTATION, as the leaf dulls in the centre to reveal a number...
The spectators number...
It... Is... Unexplainable...

STARDUST-
The performer points up into the nightsky, creating a "frame of view" for the spectator. The performer then points to a star in the sky, and says "Watch".
With a wave of his hand, the star vanishes from the sky...

This is an amazing, intimate experience, best performed 1on1, which is sure to build a crowd with the wild reactions it creates.

EXODUS/ RED SEA-
The performer empties a bottle containing water of his own, randomly off the street or next to a bin, or even the spectator's OWN bottle.
The performer then talks about a well known story from the Book of Exodus in the Bible, and about how God, through Moses, parted the Red Sea. The performer explains that he will try to achieve this feat, though on a much smaller scale, and, as if pushing against an invisible barrier, mimes pushing the water in opposite directions. As if commanded by some higher power, the water parts down the middle... leaving the audience stunned...
This is a great finisher for a street act, and is bound to get great reactions.

Thank-you and Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to get your views on the descriptions. I'll try to get a video performance of the effects, but no promises :) Melbourne people tend to shy away from cameras...
Also, your views on whether I should I consider submitting this effect to the Artists at Theory11, or keep it Underground are welcomed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
that sounds neat.
the leaf one may be neat if i saw it.
the star one sounds alright. but maybe i'd havta see it for myself.
and why for the exodus trick , would you empty water into a spectators bottle?
why not use their water bottle

but sounds good. and there are not too many nature tricks around

Mar 12, 2009
Leaf doesnt sound interesting. Because it isnt about the plants,nature.
Your just using it in place of paper for a card trick.

Sorry but that comment is just plain stupid. What a sad example of ignorance.
Don't you think it's more interesting to do the effect with a leaf, instead of a boring piece of paper?
Imagine walking in a forest or something, what would fit the situation best: to pull out a piece of paper from your pocket, or to do the effect with a leaf laying on the ground?
If you don't see the difference between these two performances, maybe you should consider your performance-style or something.

Anyway, these effects sounds absolutely awesome!
Especially the one with the star-vanish. I have seen a description of an effect before where you made a cloud vanish. Maybe that uses the same principle?

Really interested in the effects. They sound über cool!

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I find these effects very interesting and intriguing.

Also, there aren’t that many nature effects out there as well.

I also like the star-vanish one as well, but they’re all good in my opinion.

V.

Jul 13, 2009
Don't you think it's more interesting to do the effect with a leaf, instead of a boring piece of paper?
Imagine walking in a forest or something, what would fit the situation best: to pull out a piece of paper from your pocket, or to do the effect with a leaf laying on the ground?
If you don't see the difference between these two performances, maybe you should consider your performance-style or something.

Especially the one with the star-vanish. I have seen a description of an effect before where you made a cloud vanish. Maybe that uses the same principle?

No Visual artist has a point the leaf is unnecessary and can be replaced with paper, a piece of garbage whatever. Plus why do you need a paperclip? why not hand the spectator a leaf and have them hold it between there hands and then have the pigmentation change while doing that. You have been working on it for a year so work on it some more and create a "miracle"

But other then that I believe you are on your way to some different effects, but I always find myself asking myself this and replying, "Why do people want to sell there on tricks, especially when they may be reputation makers? I mean it can't be underground if it is on the internet."

Aug 31, 2007
Leaf doesnt sound interesting. Because it isnt about the plants,nature.
Your just using it in place of paper for a card trick.

I think the leaf effect is a good alternative if your outside where paper may not be available. I would imagine this effect playing out well.

-Rahat

Mar 12, 2009
No Visual artist has a point the leaf is unnecessary and can be replaced with paper, a piece of garbage whatever. Plus why do you need a paperclip? why not hand the spectator a leaf and have them hold it between there hands and then have the pigmentation change while doing that.

Honestly, how can you say the leaf is "unnecessary", if you are walking in a park or forest?
In this situation, I think a piece of paper would be "unnecessary".
Seriously... If you think performing said trick with a piece of freaking PAPER is better than performing it with something organic, a LEAF, then I won't waste my time arguing with you. I mean you are just completely lost, sorry to say.
You don't know the effect, maybe it doesn't WORK with paper. Plus, it is far more casual, an a really exceptional piece of situational magic, if you do it with a leaf you have just picked up from the ground.

About the paperclip. Maybe there is a reason it should be included. But I agree, if I could do it without the paperclip, I think I would do it.

Mar 2, 2008
The effects look good on paper, I think the leaf vs paper debate is all on prefernce, who really cares.

Try making a demo video for these tricks.

Jul 13, 2009
Honestly, how can you say the leaf is "unnecessary", if you are walking in a park or forest?
In this situation, I think a piece of paper would be "unnecessary".
Seriously... If you think performing said trick with a piece of freaking PAPER is better than performing it with something organic, a LEAF, then I won't waste my time arguing with you. I mean you are just completely lost, sorry to say.
You don't know the effect, maybe it doesn't WORK with paper. Plus, it is far more casual, an a really exceptional piece of situational magic, if you do it with a leaf you have just picked up from the ground.

About the paperclip. Maybe there is a reason it should be included. But I agree, if I could do it without the paperclip, I think I would do it.

I think you may have missed my grammar, I said it can be replaced with paper garbage whatever. I do not want to start an argument I was only giving my sound advice and opinion on what may be better. Also you are talking to a wolf who has based most if not all magic that I perform on elements of nature and technology. I do not know why you are defending this so much, it seems more of speculation because no one for sure knows what the method he is using. So stop making self righteous posts and sit back and hope to see video or a full description.

May 18, 2008
They sound awesome! If I were you, I would submit them, but also begin to prepare for maybe a pdf just incase T11 declines it.

Just keep trying, share the methods with some knowledgable magicians and see what they think.

I have been brainstroming for ideas for effects which incorporate Nature for over a year, and I've come up with 3 KILLER effects. I've performed these on the streets over the past 4 months in Melbourne, Australia, and they get nothing but amazing reactions from the audience.
LEAF-
Picture this.....
The performer picks a random leaf up off the ground, gutter, tree etc. and it is thoroughly inspected by the audience, with nothing funny to be found. The performer then folds the leaf into quarters, and paperclips the leaf to keep it from springing open prematurely. An audience member is then asked to sign the back of the leaf, and keep it in full view in their open palm.
The performer then asks another audience member to select a random card from the deck.
With the selected card in hand, the performer goes into intimate detail about how the goal of an illusionist is to perform miracles: miracles that are often unexplainable acts or feats which defy the laws of physics and Nature itself...

The performer then takes a step back and asks the spectator to open up the leaf.
The audience is stunned...
On the face of the SIGNED and PREVIOUSLY INSPECTED leaf is written the spectators card number.
Written not in ink or pencil, but in PIGMENTATION, as the leaf dulls in the centre to reveal a number...
The spectators number...
It... Is... Unexplainable...

STARDUST-
The performer points up into the nightsky, creating a "frame of view" for the spectator. The performer then points to a star in the sky, and says "Watch".
With a wave of his hand, the star vanishes from the sky...

This is an amazing, intimate experience, best performed 1on1, which is sure to build a crowd with the wild reactions it creates.

EXODUS/ RED SEA-
The performer empties a bottle containing water of his own, randomly off the street or next to a bin, or even the spectator's OWN bottle.
The performer then talks about a well known story from the Book of Exodus in the Bible, and about how God, through Moses, parted the Red Sea. The performer explains that he will try to achieve this feat, though on a much smaller scale, and, as if pushing against an invisible barrier, mimes pushing the water in opposite directions. As if commanded by some higher power, the water parts down the middle... leaving the audience stunned...
This is a great finisher for a street act, and is bound to get great reactions.

Thank-you and Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to get your views on the descriptions. I'll try to get a video performance of the effects, but no promises :) Melbourne people tend to shy away from cameras...
Also, your views on whether I should I consider submitting this effect to the Artists at Theory11, or keep it Underground are welcomed :)

I actually have notes on a effect I released a few years ago in my notes "Beyond Imagination" called "The Lieing Leaf". The effect is impromtu and meant to be performed while in the pool. You take a leaf floating in the pool with no setup and tear it into four pieces, you then submerge the leaf in the pool allowing it to float back to the surface as a completly restored leaf. Your hands are shown completly empty. It's funny this came up cause I'm actually writing a book that will include this effect. I've been working over five years on this book and I plan on releasing it this year let me know if any of you guys want to stay updated on its release and I'll be sure to keep you informed.

Aug 31, 2007
I actually have notes on a effect I released a few years ago in my notes "Beyond Imagination" called "The Lieing Leaf". The effect is impromtu and meant to be performed while in the pool. You take a leaf floating in the pool with no setup and tear it into four pieces, you then submerge the leaf in the pool allowing it to float back to the surface as a completly restored leaf. Your hands are shown completly empty. It's funny this came up cause I'm actually writing a book that will include this effect. I've been working over five years on this book and I plan on releasing it this year let me know if any of you guys want to stay updated on its release and I'll be sure to keep you informed.

Hey Shane your effect sounds great! Looking forward to it. Keep me updated.

-Rahat

Jul 25, 2009
wow this sound awesome. please keep me updated on this...

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
the effects are unique. But you should really post a video of the effects., form the post it sounds pretty good

Jv

Jan 11, 2008

Looking forward to it Shane...Please keep us updated.

V.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Sheesh this guy.
The effect had nothing to do with the nature of the leaf. Your example of walking in a park and using the leaf as a replacement for paper is just that. It has nothing to do with nature or the leaf. Its a card effect. The leaf wouldnt make sense at all if your doing a card trick.which is what that is.
If he took the leaf and did something with it (or like my effect where I grow a plant from soil cupped in my hands)THAT is nature magic.
Here,the leaf is a substitute for paper.

Will do guys I'm sure you'll love this book I do. Anyways I'll check back here time to time to keep you guys in the loop. Thanks for the support this book will not be a let down everything in it is practical and something I ACTUALLY use in my shows.:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results