Breaking in a deck

L

Liam Carrie

how do you break in a deck for florishing? or more importantly how do you flourish with slippery cards? i have been working on molecule 1 and i still cant do it with slippery cards!

Sep 1, 2007
if you do nothing else besides one handed shuffles with a focus on a good Pharoh weave, your deck will be broken in absolutely beautifully. I usually end up getting bored and doing some springs and fans and other crap, but the BEST handing decks I have, were broken in using only one-handed shuffles.

seeing as how you're asking about molecule 1 tho you prolly don't care about breaking in a deck for fanning :D

Sep 2, 2007
Put it in your freezer that shove it in you blender and pulse it 5 times,flip the deck over and repeat...then have it sleep with your dog.

Fresh out of the box, I powder my cards. They feel so much better afterwards and proper breaking in of the deck and repowder and the cards are tuned for performances. May seem a bit extreme to powder brand new cards, but trust me to get rid of that slippery-ness without destroying the stock or the finish powder will help. With a brand new deck I would be very wary of what your doing and stick to 100% self-working material. Table cuts, table spreads, one-handed cuts, things like that. Dropping no cards is key especially if you got handed a deck and people wanted to see stuff! The flipback fan would benefit from a slippery deck since the fanning nature is very different from all other fans that gravity must aid in the procedure.

Sep 1, 2007
ugh, i hate powdering a brand new deck because the powder seems to spill right off and get on everything EXCEPT the cards. or you'll get like 5 or 10 cards that take the powder well and then some that totally don't... I guess since you're re-applying the powder it's just as well though.

hey have you guys seen those weird wooden slot-boxes like in lonnie dilan's 'card collection' video, that you slide single cards through and they powder them one at a time? I think they also strip some of the finish off in the process. if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I would love to know where I could get one.

Trashmanf are you using the bag method of getting the cards powder? Cause that's the best method for powdering I use and usually have no problems at all thanks to the big powder cloud. Jerry recommend using a paper grocery bag since it holds the shape so the cards can properly mix through the powder cloud. Don't forget you can always weave shuffle the deck a few times from all the sides to spread the powder even more after you take them out of the bag. Don't forget to remove excess powder either.

Sep 1, 2007
oh yeah I do all that stuff, it's just my personal experience that when I've powdered decks right away (usually because... I just can't wait! hehe), then after a short while they seem to lose all the powder since it doesn't have as good as ability to 'stick' to the finish, as it would if the finish was worn down.

however since your method also includes a re=application after the finish is worn down a bit, it's probably "6 of one, half a dozen of the other". I usually just try to go ahead and practice with the slippery, new condition deck , for the exact reason which you describe in your above post... what if someone hands you a new deck?

actually LOL I would prefer if someone handed me their new deck rather than their totally f'd up deck that they've been playing cards with for a while. at least then you could do a dam Pharoh weave with it. I brought a deck of palmettos to a hold em game and the chick next to me shuffled them with such enthusiasm that the deck is totally hashed beyond porper repair right now. should've brought some dam bees or something.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results