Breaking the (Metaphorical) Ice

Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, WA
I've been a magician and performer for 10 years now, but I've rarely found a way to "break the ice" and begin displaying wonder in an informal manner that isn't as cheesy or awkward as, "Hey; want to see a trick?"

Occasionally there will be a moment where you can just ask to see an object (such as a paperclip or rubber band) and perform a beautiful piece of magic without having to introduce yourself or your trade, but for the other 99% of the time I would very much prefer something consistent.

Any ideas? What do YOU do to open the floodgates?

-Eric

Aug 25, 2012
Start a conversation with them before jumping into the, "Want to see a trick." just say mind if i show you something, many times at a local Starbucks and sit down places I would sit down and ask them how they are doing, introduce myself I feel like just asking if they want to see a trick can turn a spectator off and make the moment awkward.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Depending on the setting and how I'm prepared I've found several approaches that work great, my most favorite is what I call "The Searcher".

Essentially I move about an area, circling my target group, acting like I'm looking for something. It rarely fails that someone in the group asks "What are you looking for?" at which point I can move into action.

More than not I use this as a way to move into sponge balls; I hold my left hand so that the thumb & index form a "C" and ask "Have you seen any of these?" . . . obviously there's nothing there and as a second thought I "rub" the "C" with my right hand and say "Here, let me dust that off so you can see it better" and voila! A single red sponge appears. . . obviously I move into my spiel from that point and everything unfolds as it was intended.

When I worked the Playboy clubs of old I'd literally ask people to move over as I looked under the table, explaining that people leave some of the darnedest things stuck under the table. When I stood back up I'd be holding a small Bird Cage (ala Blackstone) and act as if I found what I was looking for . . . the appearance of the cage serves as an excellent primer to things and prepares folks for what's about to happen. But this particular bit of material also pulls other people into what you're doing because it's big enough to be seen by everyone in the room. HOWEVER, this isn't a routine I'd recommend for anyone not well versed in said effect, it can have it's headaches.

Albert Goshman used to approach people by saying, "Allow me to magish for you. . ."

There is the classic approach of doing "The worlds most amazing Card/Coin/Dice effect" such as Bill Malone and others have used for a very long time.

I've seen guys quietly draw attention to them by standing off to the side and moving into a kind of "Mime" routine like tearing up a newspaper as they seem to be reading it . . . making the tears loud and obvious, only to leave a restore paper on the table for someone to find as they go to throw it away. . . or else they themselves do the opening & reveal, leaving the restored paper on the table for people to look at. . . similarly, any liquid in a newspaper will work (or the reverse, liquid from the paper, magazine or whatever).

Be seen playing with a coin or ball (walking them over your fingers and some basic manipulation) will almost always attract people. Let the them ask or simply escalate what you are doing as interest and group size begin to obviously grow.

As corny as it sounds, the classic "coin behind the ear" still works; especially if you can turn it into more!

The list is quite extensive once you sit down with paper & pen and start working the problem and how to overcome the obstacles.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It really depends. You mentioned a casual situation, so I assume you're not doing a 'professional' gig or even have been formally asked to perform. For these situations I never introduce myself as "The Magician" or anything like it. I just talk to people. I am a firm advocate of learning social skills to go with your magic, as magic is not a substitute for a personality.

I have no trouble steering a conversation in such a way that it will lead to me being able to "spontaneously" show them something. Being the manager of a circus troupe makes this even easier. The basic formula is find something they are interested in, chat about it for a moment, connect it to something you are prepared to do, do that thing, go back to conversation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results