Bringing People to Jesus through Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 31, 2007
I have been using magic for some time now as an icebreaker when I go out to witness to people. I am an evangelist but far too often these days evangelism is known as just self-righteous people to run hold up signs and yell to everyone that they are going to hell. Heh, only the other side you see to have this new emerging truth that fails to do anything for those who are lost. They focus too much on Jesus and Christianity as more of a self-improvement model then the truth in God's message given to us in his word. Now I realize that there is probably a lot of people with a variety of different beliefs, ideologies, and religions on these forums. For those reading this post please keep in mind that this is not an attempt to evangelize or witness to this forum. This post is not intended to provoke and debate or hard feelings. This post is rather to go into a study of some of the issues that arise from both secular and Christianity community and the reactions that we receive from both when we introduce magic. I would like to also bring up the problems that we have with misconceptions and stereotypes that we have to struggle with because of the false representation seen through out the world of Christianity. I will probably be posting some scripture and information just to give those who are reading a history of something to to work with so they are not left in the dark.

The first thing I would like to start talking about is some of our challenges. We live in a day of a lot of false teachings in the world. A lot of this comes from today's televangelist ( I am not going to name any names). You can also see this new trend of what is called prosperity gospel. The prosperity gospel sounds really good but can be really dangerous. It has a general idea that the purpose of God or Jesus is to make your life better and to make you a better person, it pushes love as its campaign slogan. The fact is that they also push tithing and teach that the more money you donate the more God will bless you in life. Sure they can back some things up in the scripture but anyone can take scripture and present it out of context to support their personal view. Why is this a problem for us? Because or goal is to share truth with people, as much of the truth as possible, when we in return are trying to witness to someone who has grown up or has ever seen these type teachings they may already have a Bias against you when you start to mention Jesus. And I have to say, with the examples given to the publics eye I can't blame them. They think that it is all a fraud because they just want money and they are not that far off the truth. Another challenge is the opposite of prosperity gospel. it is a school of teaching of sinless perfection a more conservative point of view that believes that one is able to become completely perfect after repentance. Why is this dangerous? Because this thinking usually breads self-righteousness. What this does is creates a bad taste in a non-believers mouth and when you begin to share they automatically assume that you are judging them and that you think you are better then them. Finally you in the emerging Church you have lost the message of Repentance. Repentance has come somewhat of a offensive word to a lot of people. Technically all this word means is to change one's mind from one thing to another. Though you hear it as Bad Person Bad Person!.

The truth is that each denomination out there is like a religion on its own. Some a little closer to truth then others but all have their own little twist on scripture. When we are witnessing, what is important is that we share the truth in God's Message. That we are all sinners and fall short of God's righteousness. Even those who are believers, who are saved are still sinners and no better then any other man. We are all guilty of crimes against the Lord and the punishment for this is ultimately the Lake of fire. Yes this sounds scary, and a lot of people say that no real loving God would do this. The thing is is that He loves us much more then our finite minds can understand. He ultimately took our punishment for us so that we may have everlasting life. What are the requirements to this everlasting life? Simple, we believe in him and what he has done for us. God said that there is nothing we can do to earn salvation. Salvation is a free gift from him, but you have to acknowledge and accept this gift. When we accept this, When we repent ( We change our mind to believe in God) He does everything else in us. Ok, now it sounds like I am witnessing but I am not. My point of that is that you don't need to get into debates, you don't need prove yourself or fight back when you are confronted. What is important is the simple message. It is not through fear that God wants us to come to him it is through love. So be loving no matter what situation that you come across. God does not want anyone to go to Hell but he is a just God and has to enforce his own laws and word.

Ok, now what does all this have to do with the original topic? because all of these different views influence others opinions and how other receive you. Honestly very few people have ever been given the solid truth in God's words. They automatically have a Bias against you. One of the main things that I hear, both from the Christian Community and the Secular realm is, ” How Can you do magic and say you are a Christian?”. Oh, Boy. Of course when the bible speaks of Magic and wizards, warlocks and witches they are not talking about the performance artists that perform magic. This may have been true back in the day. It is believed that the Egyptian Priest used trickery and illusions to convince people of their gods. Mentalism it self has also been used for a long time. Even in these days magic is abused and used to manipulate people. Look recently at the Minister that used the Electric Touch during faith healing. My Goal here in this thread is to explorer through maybe members personal experiences both from those who use magic for witnessing and those who have been approached by evangelist , and maybe learn different approaches to some of the issues that we run into. Maybe we can even share some specialized routines to help.

****NOTE****
I know that I stated that the intent here is not to cause debate or to offend. Please stay within the topic. If you don't have any constructive insight or if you can't stay on the topic then please do not post. If you are offended by this please move on. If you assume that all evangelist are self-righteous hypocrites then please understand that there are a lot of followers of Jesus like me who have a genuine love for everyone and who is motivated by that love to share truth.

its good to see such topics here. personally iv had much inner dialong trying to figure out the same thing. ill be keeping a eye on this thread. my only thing is that all the gospel magic iv seen is normaly hokey at best maybe we can improve that

Sep 2, 2007
” How Can you do magic and say you are a Christian?”.
I get that all the time! especially when I am doing something like stigmata or SAW

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
One of my favorite spectators is the pastor of the church where my dad works. Everytime I get a new trick, I show it to him, and the stuff just blows his mind, he loves it.
That didn't really have anything to do with the topic, but seemed to fit.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Ok im not gonna involve myself in this topic but one thing i'd like to say is that there is not one sole true thing when it comes to religion and beliefs...

Everyone is different and many cultures etc have there own gods and spirits etc

How can one be right over the other?
They can't as to each individual what they believe in is true

Also the Greek gods were around before most and so who's to say they're not the one sole truth???

I know this is not exactly on topic, but I just had this urge to say my piece

I accept everyone's different beliefs and don't look down on anyone for what they believe... I mean who's to say there's not truth in them all... or maybe no truth at all??

I don't feel anyone should feel bad about performing magic, it's a gift and a wonderful thing to give people the experience of true wonder and amazement

Anyway that's all from me... don't take anything personally as I was just sharing my thoughts

;)

Sep 1, 2007
First off, awesome thread.

As far as a routine, doing any torn and restored card with a changed up patter that talks about how the card represents your life and how Jesus put it back together, that's a great illustration.

I don't know if you've ever heard of him, but a very talented Christian magician is Brock Gill. I saw him live and got to meet him, he was awesome. Check out his website: www.brockgill.com

Sep 1, 2007
Ok im not gonna involve myself in this topic but one thing i'd like to say is that there is not one sole true thing when it comes to religion and beliefs...

Everyone is different and many cultures etc have there own gods and spirits etc

Also the Greek gods were around before most and so who's to say they're not the one sole truth???

I know this is not exactly on topic, but I just had this urge to say my piece

I accept everyone's different beliefs and don't look down on anyone for what they believe... I mean who's to say there's not truth in them all... or maybe no truth at all??

I don't feel anyone should feel bad about performing magic, it's a gift and a wonderful thing to give people the experience of true wonder and amazement

Anyway that's all from me... don't take anything personally as I was just sharing my thoughts

;)

On 911, we where attacked by terrorists, they killed thousands of people. So according to you, you are saying that they where right to do so. I mean, who is to say they where wrong? They have a religion to, not only that. But they have a different version of history in the Koran, then we do in the Bible, and other history books. According to your logic, none of them our wrong, both interpretations of history are right, even though they both say two completely different things.

I accept everyone's different beliefs and don't look down on anyone for what they believe.

So you would have no problem have dinner in the mist of murders, robbers, and liars, because they all believe that what they are doing is right.

Sorry, not trying to be mean, just had to say my thoughts as well.

Aug 31, 2007
As I requested before, please keep everything on topic. This tread is not a debate it is not a discussion of all religion. It is focus is on evangelism and using Magic and the issues that we have experienced with this.

I am going to comment, I just wanted to give it some time to hear from everyone.

I will not respond and I urge those who are interested in having a constructive conversation on the topic not to respond to anything out of the spectrum of the original topic.

If you are not interested in the original topic or having a constructional conversation working towards the goals of this post then please do not post. You have the freedom to start a new thread to express your view and/or make you peace.

Please be mature, respectful, and considerate and comply with these requests.

Thank you.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island
First off, awesome thread.

As far as a routine, doing any torn and restored card with a changed up patter that talks about how the card represents your life and how Jesus put it back together, that's a great illustration.

I don't know if you've ever heard of him, but a very talented Christian magician is Brock Gill. I saw him live and got to meet him, he was awesome. Check out his website: www.brockgill.com

yea, Brock Gill is pretty cool. I have one DVD of him performing.

also, there used to be a guy in my church who would tell people about Jesus through sleight of hand. My dad saw him, and lovedd it. I didnt get to see it though.

And 1 more thing- theres this youth helper at my youth group, and whenever he comes up to me, he says " Magic is for the devil, its deception" and im always stuck on what to say back. Any help??

by the way- great thread Dave.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Honestly,

Now...please realize this is only MY point of view here.

Almost every time that I heard of a instance that someone tried to intertwine the art of magic/sleight of hand and religion it has always had a very grim ending. I've heard some horrible stories about some head of a religious group scamming the innocent or trying to use our art to try and instantly convert someone. I think the most recent occurance of this happening that I can remember was of a religious leader of a church or something MISUSING our very own Electric Touch to make people think that they just had the holy spirit run through their bodies.

Needless to say, I was sickened at this occurance.

However,

I do believe that you can perform our art and practice sleight of hand as long as the SOLE INTENTION of this is to, now get this, entertain!

Shane K.

Aug 31, 2007
Ok, one thing that see that gets transposed to magic (the performing art) is the inherited Bias against the occult within the Christian community. There is not doubt about it that the bible mentions the occult and tells us that even the enemy(Satan) has powers and can perform wonders. It also does talk about demons and witches and warlocks. What the bible teaches me though is that I myself am evil by nature and that I am bound by the the same sinful flesh that everyone else is. See God tells us that we are not to judge the world. We are to use the standards of the bible to measure ourselves and the body. So what I am saying here is that a lot of people(Christians True and/or False Converts) who practice a form of legalism or only know what someone else has told them instead of taking the simple word of God. So what do we do to counter these false assumptions? Being as Kind and as loving as possible we share the truth with them. We are going to explain that magic as a performing art, and explain that we are not calling or invoking or calling on any supernatural forces nor are we bringing Glory to the Enemy . In reality we are really bring Glory to God. Who does the bible speak of, It speak of people who are actually practicing witchcraft, casting spells, practicing Astrology. None of this has anything to do with what we do. I am not going to give you a box letter response you need to find the best way to share this that is comfortable with you. It might be a good Idea to take a simple track with you that explains the differences with scripture to support.

I would post all the scripture but I am not sure how that would be reciev4ed by the rest of the Forums.

What can we do to fight these Stereotypes Or Assumptions by the Secular world. We can listen to Jesus Christ, We can love our Enemies, Forgive our trespassers. WE can be an outward example of what is on the inside. Most of all we keep it simply biblical. Too much attention is point at things like the occult when the enemy works in a a lot more settle way. I think that most of his works is actually done close to the body, maybe even from the guy sitting next to you in church. What is the Point? The point is The enemy is all around us and we should have our armor on at all time. We should not Focus on one particular Demographic, And should especially not cast judgment, we should try to embrace, love and share the truth of repentance and Salvation through faith by Grace. Instead of focusing on one particular group we must remember we are not better then anyone, and keep our armor on all the time and be alert. We are not supposed to be fearing everything. We lead by the example for our brothers and sisters who do not quite understand,

Sep 1, 2007
As I requested before, please keep everything on topic. This tread is not a debate it is not a discussion of all religion. It is focus is on evangelism and using Magic and the issues that we have experienced with this.

I am going to comment, I just wanted to give it some time to hear from everyone.

I will not respond and I urge those who are interested in having a constructive conversation on the topic not to respond to anything out of the spectrum of the original topic.

If you are not interested in the original topic or having a constructional conversation working towards the goals of this post then please do not post. You have the freedom to start a new thread to express your view and/or make you peace.

Please be mature, respectful, and considerate and comply with these requests.

Thank you.

Sorry Dave, I don't want to get this topic locked because I like it. So ill try not to debate people in the forums, but if anyone brings it up, I got to buddy.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
yea, Brock Gill is pretty cool. I have one DVD of him performing.

also, there used to be a guy in my church who would tell people about Jesus through sleight of hand. My dad saw him, and lovedd it. I didnt get to see it though.

And 1 more thing- theres this youth helper at my youth group, and whenever he comes up to me, he says " Magic is for the devil, its deception" and im always stuck on what to say back. Any help??

by the way- great thread Dave.

You can say it is entertainment. Does this person never watch a movie because the actors/actresses are deceiving you into thinking they are someone else. If you present it as a trick or deception instead of entertainment and engaging you are probably going to continue to get those types of reactions. Is brightening someone else's day or giving them a small bit of entertainment for the devil?

Personally I don't think it is worth arguing with people who have the perception you describe, it is easier to just walk away. You cannot convince everyone to have an open mind or to believe in what you believe but you can be there for those people who are open-minded.

Magic to me is an icebreaker not something I do after I break the ice. I can't tell you how many people at parties I have gotten into long and drawn out spiritual discussions with after performing magic earlier in the night. Would some of those people just opened up and started talking to me about something as personal as their spirituality? No probably not; however, because for a brief moment they felt some connection to me as I was entertaining them it paved the way to have that discussion. Magic can open doors to many things but ultimately it is going to be your choice what doors it will open for you.

--Jim

Sep 14, 2007
i am a christian but it isn't against my religion to do magic, unless i say i am a god and i have extraodinary powers.

are there any christians here??? is evangalism like the same as christianity????

nickmagic

Sep 1, 2007
In my opinion, religion shouldn't be brought up in forums.

I mean i'm a christian but I don't like go to church every sunday or do the bible study thingy.

And I think people who say i'm "evil" or it is "evil" are just plain stupid. And I tell them that, I don't appreciate people thinking i'm some evil child of death that is going to terrorize the well bring of all man kind.

But still, religion can bring up some pretty heated conversations with some people. Just sayin, I know this is a great community and all but you never know.

Aug 31, 2007
i am a christian but it isn't against my religion to do magic, unless i say i am a god and i have extraodinary powers.

are there any christians here??? is evangalism like the same as christianity????

nickmagic

Apparently there are :) Evangelist are Christians who who answer Gods call to the great commission. In other words we make the focus of our lives to bring our brothers and sisters in creation to Jesus. We are responsible for telling everyone we can the truth of God word and Call sinners to repent(I have already explained repentance). Evangelism as a whole gets a bad rap because of the so-called self-proclaimed Christians who practice lordship gospel, sinless perfection, and self-righteousness instead of what Jesus did and taught his disciples to do. As followers of Jesus we are his disciples and his disciples were called to go to all the corners of the earth and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to all living creatures(though I do not make a habit of chasing squirrels and witnessing to them.)

” How Can you do magic and say you are a Christian?”.
I get that all the time! especially when I am doing something like stigmata or SAW

Have you heard of the IBM or the SAM? I would expect so. Well, Christian magicians have an organization too. It's FCM (Fellowship of Christian Magicians).

You can find them at http://www.fcm.org and they have a GREAT article on this EXACT subject...

I have found this essay to be invaluable as a backup to my gospel routines...

http://www.fcm.org/should_a_christian_do_magic.php

Give it a read - it's definitely thought provoking as well as informative.

Cheers!

nickmagic

Actually, evangelism is not the same as Christianity.

Christianity is the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth and its beliefs and practices.

Evangelism is the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness.

So when someone who professes to be a Christian goes into the world to teach others about Christianity, that person is said to be evangelizing. This is also known as witnessing or testifying.

There are many methods by which to evangelize. Gospel magicians use magic as a tool to teach others the teachings and principles of Christianity.

For example, the Lota Bowl, a classic of stage magic can be adapted for evangelizing purposes.

Many of you may have seen this trick in the past. It's typically used as a running gag for most shows.

The magician produces a pot, typically silver in color. He then proceeds to pour the contents of the pot into a glass pitcher, another pot, etc. until the vessel appears to have been emptied.

At this point, the magician continues on with his show. A little later, he returns to the vessel and pours out another round of water. The vessel has magically refilled itself!

This continues throughout the show. It typically gets a good laugh. But how can we use this as a tool for teaching stories from the Bible?

If we look to the book of 1 Kings, chapter 17, verses 8-16, we can read the story of how Elijah, a prophet of God, performed a miracle for a widowed women and her son who were poor.

Here is the passage of scripture...

"And the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee. So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, behold, the widow woman was there gathering of sticks: and he called to her, and said, Fetch me, I pray thee, a little water in a vessel, that I may drink. And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said, Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand. And she said, As the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in a barrel, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may eat it, and die. And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son. For thus saith the LORD God of Israel, The barrel of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth. And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and he, and her house, did eat many days. And the barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the LORD, which he spake by Elijah."
[1 Kings 17:8-16 - KJV]

The Lota Bowl is the perfect prop for the telling and teaching of this particular passage of scripture.

There are many different tricks that can be adapted for evangelizing. In fact, there are some web sites that cater specifically to Gospel magic routines such as http://www.gospelmagic.com.

Some popular secular tricks that I use for evangelizing are the use of the Blank Deck, Lota Bowl, Rising Card Deck, Svengali Deck, Malini Egg Back, Devil's Hank, Nesting Boxes, and Crystal Tube and Silks just to name a few.

Each can be used in a secular manner, but also afford a wonderful Gospel-centric message as well.

Someone in this thread said that they thought Gospel magic was hoakey - or something along those lines. To some extent, I agree that some of the more "off the shelf" effects designed specifically for Gospel magic are a bit "cheap". While the patter and end result is fine, I find the quality is lacking. This is partially the reason I have adapted much of my secular tricks for use in a Gospel routine.

Since I perform for both secular and Christian groups, I find it necessary to stay fairly diversified.

You are limited only by your imagination. There is also plenty of material to be found in Scripture and with thousands upon thousands of tricks and effects on the market, it should be of little trouble to adapt any number of stories and teachings from the Christian faith into a hard hitting magical experience.

Imagine taking a routine such as Stigmata to work in the number of the beast (666) or using Indecent to show how Christ separates us from the rest of the world once we have accepted Him as our Lord and Savior. Or consider using Big Bucks to describe tithing or Lethal Tender to show transformation of the Holy Spirit.

There are so many opportunities available to you. You just need to read your Bible, study the Word and learn the stories. Make sure you understand there true meaning (in context) and then figure a way to apply those scriptures to a magical routine for the sake of winning souls to Christ.

Hope this has helped some.

Cheers!

In my opinion, religion shouldn't be brought up in forums.

I mean i'm a christian but I don't like go to church every sunday or do the bible study thingy.

And I think people who say i'm "evil" or it is "evil" are just plain stupid. And I tell them that, I don't appreciate people thinking i'm some evil child of death that is going to terrorize the well bring of all man kind.

But still, religion can bring up some pretty heated conversations with some people. Just sayin, I know this is a great community and all but you never know.

I agree with you to some extent - having discussions about religion can cause animosity between members. There may be doctrinal differences between believers. There may be people who are religious odds with someone else (Buddhist vs Christian vs Muslim, etc.) Then their are the non-Religious people - the Agnostics and Atheist communities.

However, there are many threads devoted to discussing magic with themes surrounding the occult such as witch craft, voodoo, gypsies, etc. No one bats an eye at such topics. In fact, such topics are glamorized by magicians - to discuss the trade crafts where the dark arts still hold sway.

So why not have a forum for discussing the application of magic towards a particular religion?

Christiantiy just happens to be a hot topic because Christians evangelize (spread) their faith.

As long as we're not Bible thumping and shoving our beliefs down other people's throats, it shouldn't be a problem. As long as we keep this in mind, then all we're really discussing is the practical application of magic and how to link it to our religious viewpoints.

There's nothing wrong there.

Now, if someone came in here and started a thread on Muslim Magic or Hindu Magic - I would have no problem with it. To each their own. While I am not interested in Muslin or Hindu religions, I will not shun them either. That is their choice. While my [religious] beliefs are in direct contract to theirs, I can show respectful toleration for other religions. But this forum should not be used to debate which religion is right and which is wrong. Such discussions are best left to religious-based web sites (which there are plenty of).

Instead, we should maintain that we discuss how to apply magic to our religion and vise versa only.

If a non-believer stumbles in, we should not discourage them, but we should not disrespect them either. And on the same token, if they are not interested in our religion, then they should respect our right to freedom of religion and go about their business. Live and let live. I will tell you of my faith, but if you ask me not to, then I shall respect your wishes. And as a Christian, we are charged with spreading the gospels, but we are also told to kick the dust from our feet and move on should someone not receive us. It's really quite simple.

So when it comes to religious debate - I agree - they should stay out of these forums.

When it comes to using magic as a tool for religious purposes, this is the perfect venue.

And if two people have doctrinal differences, they should take it in private message to discuss so as not to confuse or enrage the rest of the community.

For example - if a Catholic posted a routine specific to Catholicism, I must respect his/her decision to do so just as they must respect my Protestant viewpoint. While both are forms of "Christianity" (based on the belief that Christ is the Messiah), Catholics and Protestants have extremely different doctrinal differences.

However, should a fellow Protestant make a statement that does not fall in line with Protestant doctrine, I would counsel them in private and let them know as gently as possible of the error they have made - I would also expect the same in return. But I would not debate this in a public forum.

Anyway - I see your point. Just thought I would elaborate a bit.

Aug 31, 2007
SoulGrind

Actually, evangelism is not the same as Christianity.

Ok, Let me clarify.

God calls people do different things. A Christian is someone who believes and follows Jesus Christ and believes in God's word. There are many stations within the Body(the body refers to all Christians) that God calls people to fill. Being an evangelist means that you are filling a specify area/station/ or job. Evangelists are Christians. Evangelism is a part of Christianity.

Christianity is not a religion it is a relationship. It is hard to explain, but look at an electric heater, you can't truly explain what someone would feel if they touched it, the only way they could really understand is touching it themselves.

Anyhow, I am sorry I violated my own rule, I won't do it again. Once again, and this goes for me too. Can we please stay on the specific topic. If everyone respects the request then hopefully we can have a constructing discussion and keep the arguing subsided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results