Building a routine

Jul 15, 2017
Hey theory 11 crew! I was working on a new routine today for a corporate event that I just booked and was wondering, what is your method to building a routine? Do you pick a theme and work from there or do you create a story arc that your routine follows? I know for me personally, I three different routines, working on my fourth today, that I have practiced over and over and over again and they are based on who I'm performing for and where. This fourth routine will be the first "themed" routine I do.

Jul 26, 2016
Justin, I think you hit upon it when you said that your choice of routine takes into account who you are performing for. I think that is a highly significant factor, because even the most creative routine can fall flat if the demographic you are performing for can not relate to it.

When I am booked for a corporate event, I go online and study up on the company, researching who the upper management people are, looking at their photos and/or things they might have said, finding out what their corporate mission and philosophy is and what they emphasize (things like superior customer service, what sets their product(s) and/or services apart from their competition, etc.) I try to use the name of the company inside the routines and even quote little soundbites that I know the CEO or President has said as magic words or whatever.

Sometimes, I will really surprise them by walking up to an officer or manager of the company, pretending I am getting an ESP message, hold my hand to my forehead and close my eyes as if concentrating, and say, "You are the famous..... ______" saying the name.

The more you can incorporate (no pun intended) elements of the company, its products/services and people, the better - up to a tasteful point, of course. I have gotten excellent reviews from company officers, who specifically pointed out how impressed they were that I had obviously researched the company prior to the gig, and best of all, gotten rehired by clients due, in large measure, to that strategy.

Jul 15, 2017
I really like the idea of going into an event and being able to use names of people I haven't been formally introduced to yet...what a clever way to initiate what you are there for. Will def. be using this.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
It's important to link your effects together, No matter how small that link is. Otherwise, It just seems like trick after trick instead of a nice performance. Whether it be something about how the spectators can do the trick if it is in the hands,Or bringing in a prop to use, such as fire. It also makes patterns soooo much easier to create.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results