Business Card Magic

amkov

Elite Member
Hey guys what's up?
So I need to reprint some new business cards for myself and thought of doing something new- what kind of tricks and cool stuff can I print on the actual business card and use em as a trick or for a trick?
I'm a close up magician so anything for those kind of performances would be perfect...
Also if you can send me pics of your designs too it'll be perfect! -just trying to get ideas- I'm not planning on duplicating anything...
Thanks!

Nov 26, 2013
what i do is have it plain and simple i have white matt business cards with my name mentalism and magician and contact info, no pictures and blank on the back as i can write predictions or i usually do an effect from max maven dvd or another effect / name or number duplication

Apr 17, 2013
I leave the back of my card blank. I then do Drawn Again by Danny Archer. I do Tagged but the version from the book from the 50's not the new version, (BTW it is the same effect) and use my card instead of the tag. I also have an effect I picked up at a lecture by Dorian Grey back in the mid 90's You light your hand on fire and the flames turn into your card. Also There is a great Michael Ammar series on business card magic.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You may want to look at Doc Eason's Out to Dinner metal clip. Very easy yet convincing.
I also use Ultra telethought Wallet 2 by Chris Kenworthey every time I do table hopping or strolling.

Also as others have mentioned....keep the back white / blank for sure and go with a matte finish on the back not the glossy so that predictions and information can be written on it.

Sep 1, 2007
Michael Ammar also released a compilation DVD of business card effects through L&L Publishing. Personally I use Docc Hilford's For One to End, but I do not recommend that for everyone. It only really works for performers with more of a cerebral element to their style.

Jun 2, 2013
I don't perform for a living, but I think that Torn2Pieces by Shawn Farquhar would work! You could have your info scrambled at 4 sections and tear and restore the card such that the info is whole again (though the torn edges remain on the sides).

Apr 17, 2013
I don't perform for a living, but I think that Torn2Pieces by Shawn Farquhar would work! You could have your info scrambled at 4 sections and tear and restore the card such that the info is whole again (though the torn edges remain on the sides).

the problem using it is how it is constructed and the sixed of the card.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Shawn's effect is pretty good, but the main problem is that there is no point in giving somebody a torn photograph of yourself. Plus who carries a photograph of themselves? It just makes you look silly. Now, Wayne Houchin on the other hand used to sell a torn and restored card effect (that works great with business cards.) So THAT makes sense from and look a lot better.

Feb 10, 2013
I do agree that a torn and restored trick is great. Wayne's especially. I actually do like the idea of Shawn's effect. If you get card stock and can print your own cards, then it is not too difficult to make. I would definitely consider it for big walk-around gigs and things like that, but would not go through the hassle for every single gig you get. There are lots of applications for using business cards as billets in mentalism as well. I got a good idea from Shaun Robinson lecture. I do not remember the name, but I believe he called it Burn Notice. Just some thoughts.

Apr 17, 2013
The thing with Torn 2 Pieces is that the cost of having the cards printed that way and if you print you own it looks it. then you have the whole issue of your card being mis-made and not really fitting in a card holder with the rough edges. Then that isn't even to count the T2P is was to strong to use as business card presentation. It is a main table effect.
The Lonnie Chevrie Lecture las tnight on Penguin Live with playing cards and a business card where you keep their signed card and you give them your business card.

Feb 10, 2013
In Blake Vogt's Split Sessions V2 there was a cool idea of having your information in the card. I am going to try that out as well. Lonnie Chevrie's lecture sounds amazing, i think I will have to get it sometime.

Apr 17, 2013
In Blake Vogt's Split Sessions V2 there was a cool idea of having your information in the card. I am going to try that out as well. Lonnie Chevrie's lecture sounds amazing, i think I will have to get it sometime.

It was it was four hours of killer stuff.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The thing with Torn 2 Pieces is that the cost of having the cards printed that way and if you print you own it looks it. then you have the whole issue of your card being mis-made and not really fitting in a card holder with the rough edges. Then that isn't even to count the T2P is was to strong to use as business card presentation. It is a main table effect.
The Lonnie Chevrie Lecture las tnight on Penguin Live with playing cards and a business card where you keep their signed card and you give them your business card.

I kind of liked Torn 2 Pieces. Just my problem was the cost of having to either print them out myself or get them printed online. Also, like you mentioned it isn't something that you would do to hand out your business card. Which is why I mentioned Wayne's effect. It's pretty much a torn and restored business card and at the end of it, they still get your contact information and all that on it.

Feb 10, 2013
I dont think that Torn 2 Pieces is that bad if your business card is designed in such a way that your information does not get split. So if all your info is in a corner on your card, then I think it would be great.

Apr 17, 2013
I dont think that Torn 2 Pieces is that bad if your business card is designed in such a way that your information does not get split. So if all your info is in a corner on your card, then I think it would be great.

It's also having the card printed in that way from the printers. Also as I said before. T2P is to strong to use as business card presentation. It is a main table effect. It is a VIP effect.

Jun 2, 2013
What I would do with T2P is:
-Attempt to hand over a business card
-Sees all the info scrambled/split, and apologizes, tells them that there was a printing error
-Execute T2P
-Bam, restored business card, with rough edges

I'll agree with krab though, I think that this effect is too strong and difficult to create for just a simple business card trick.

Mabye another effect, like a card production would work
-Tries to find a business card to give to them
-"Oh...I swear I had another card to give out..."
-*pretends to realize what happened*
-"Oh that's right! I don't have it anymore...because you had it the entire time!"
-Manipulate the card such that it appears someplace on the other person's body (pocket, wallet, hand)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results