Business Cards

Apr 17, 2013
I have all of mine done at a local printers. Even if they cost a little more and an online place you can't beat having someplace where you can go in and talk to someone. To help flesh out your ideas. Most of the time they will have a graphic person in house to help with your design issues.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I've been very happy with both of these vendors and it is much cheaper than my local Staples or Office Max. Keep in mind though this was after I was happy and knew what my image / design was going to look like from a Adobe Illustrator user that helped me.

http://gotprint.net/g/showStaticPag...s-cards.html&gclid=CPPa1d6psbwCFSUS7AodGwUADA

http://www.vistaprint.com/lp/busine...3:03+PM&GPS=3094206384&GNF=0&couponAutoload=1

If you are starting from square one and are worried what they might look like, then by all means go to a local place so you can watch them create the design in house.

Another suggestion I will give you is to go with the heaviest card stock available. Online places will actually print on heavier stock around 100 lb. rather than the in house places that will only go up to 80 lb. stock I believe.

Also decide if you will be writing on the backs with a sharpie or not because if you do really glossy coating on the back, chances are the sharpie marker ink tends to smear and make a mess. I learned the hard way.

Remember: You are selling YOU. Your name and contact info should be the largest and most easy to read. Logos and pictures are nice but typically your name and contact info should be the text that jumps out to the client.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Justin...that is a little expensive. Most guys I know in our club pay $50 for 5,000 of them. That is full color, glossy, one sided as well.

Apr 17, 2013
Justin...that is a little expensive. Most guys I know in our club pay $50 for 5,000 of them. That is full color, glossy, one sided as well.

This is close to what i'm paying for my cards as well the $50 for 5k. Granted I did my own graphics. Still $50 for 500 full color better be like some Paul Allen type stuff for type cards.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I do a mixture of local and online. Vista Print is a decent source, but you have to watchout as the bill can climb pretty quickly if you don't pay attention. However, they do a ton of deals and promotions so it's easy to get a decent quality card without paying an arm and a leg if you pay attention.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You could go way over the top and do the Joel Boer or whatever his name was idea and have a single business card cost you 50 bucks and look like an entire pop out book. (Note: I wouldn't recommend this idea to ANYBODY, it's just plain stupid.)

Feb 10, 2013
I see that there are many options available such as glossy, premium, metallic, matte, and a few other types of business cards. What are all the differences, and which would you recommend getting?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I see that there are many options available such as glossy, premium, metallic, matte, and a few other types of business cards. What are all the differences, and which would you recommend getting?

It's all about your personal style, and the image you want to convey. As one can safely assume by looking at our playing cards, and even product packaging like The Code, we obsess over this stuff. And it's not just superficial - as a performer, perception is everything. The goal is to make every aspect of your performance contribute to whatever experience you seek to create, and that starts with what you wear, your personality, and of course, your magic.

Before that, though - that business card just might be the key to starting that experience, or making someone remember you. What do you want that memory to say? There are endless ways of expressing your style - color, imagery, design, and more. Or maybe you want to keep it simple and classy: Steve Cohen's business card is simple, thick paper with gold foil serif text. It says premium.

With theory11, the goal of our business cards was to be able to give to someone and have them say WOW. So each is crafted from stainless steel, laser etched and punched through with the text and logo. They're crazy, I admit, but very cool!

Dild9xa.jpg

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think this sort of stuff is the most difficult part of being a performer. I'm no good at advertising - so I ask the people around me what they would like.

One thing to keep in mind that I think a lot of people don't think about - if you're handing this out, you want to make sure it's not going to be something annoying to have in the pocket/wallet. All those fancy business cards which are oddly shaped or large - I toss them in most cases. I hate having them in my pocket because they are a weird shape or take up too much room. That person is going to lose my business (and therefore any business I could recommend) because they made carrying their information a chore. Though I am probably the worst about this in the group of friends I have, I'm not alone in that I've watched many an advert or business card get thrown away or left behind as soon as the person was out of ear shot.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results